Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Says Can't Re-accomodate for Schedule Change Unless Award Seat Available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Is this something new? I'm being told that my AA flights can't be changed to avoid a misconnection due to Qantas schedule change because AA has no award seats in fare class U are available for the itinerary. Award seats in fare class U on both AA and QF were available and booked when ticketed by AA. This was never an issue for me before when there was a schedule change as more flexibility was afforded by AA.

Last edited by dldkjones; Apr 28, 2024 at 8:46 am
Old Apr 28, 2024, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What was the routing and airlines on each leg?

AA cannot make QF open seats. AA can open space on their own metal. If it was a destination served by AA, HUACA - find an agent that will make it happen.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:05 am

A tale as old as time. You will need to be patient and hang up and call again, probably a few times.
wm47, Antarius and enviroian like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
How you hang up is as important as the call back. Leave the door open for the next customer service representative to fix the issue. The customer service representatives don't like to contradict one another.

Don't say, "You are incompetent, I will call back." Do say, "My cat is vomiting blood, I will call back".
Perdita, AAway, lowfareair and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dldkjones
Is this something new? I'm being told that my AA flights can't be changed to avoid a misconnection due to Qantas schedule change because AA has no award seats in fare class U are available for the itinerary. Award seats in fare class U on both AA and QF were available and booked when ticketed by AA. This was never an issue for me before when there was a schedule change as more flexibility was afforded by AA.
Update: After being persistent about making space available I was transferred to a supervisor who then contacted help desk and seats were opened up and ticket reissued with U class. Escalation was never needed before and wasn't offered until I refused to accept that there was nothing that could be done because no award seats were available.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
Don't say, "You are incompetent, I will call back." Do say, "My cat is vomiting blood, I will call back".
Agreed, although a much easier say is "Thanks for the information, appreciate it. Have a good day"

EDIT: ​​​​​​dldkjones glad it worked out. Unfortunately several AAgents don't know, don't care or enjoy making up comically bad excuses to not do their job. Persistence is the name of the game; find one of the old guard or a motivated agent. and it's like magic.
seigex, ZenFlyer, Perdita and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Apr 28, 2024 at 10:50 am Reason: updated based on OP followup.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Gotta love untrained agents and a customer-is-the-enemy culture

Last edited by javabytes; Apr 28, 2024 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 29, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Were the U seats made available on the Qantas flight or on an AA flight? As noted above, that can make a difference as AA can only offer you what QF makes available to them..
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
Were the U seats made available on the Qantas flight or on an AA flight? As noted above, that can make a difference as AA can only offer you what QF makes available to them..
Obviously it is open up on AA flight to make the connection possible. OP while not very explicit, I dont think any reader would think AA "opens" up QF U inventory to accommodate.

As OP said, in the past AA open up inventory when schedule change caused misconnect, is almost a natural occurrence. With so many new agents hired after Covid / many old guards did not return to their prev jobs, dealing with AAgents on even some very basic matters these days are often a very frustrating process to say the least.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The elimination of dedicated agents for plat and plat pro shows how much AA values us.

Have they elongated dedicated agents for ExPlat too?

when I get a schedule change on an award that needs adjusting, I never ask for a callback -since the last time when after waiting unti l 1am for a callback, I hear “ oh, I have to transfer you; I’m not trained on awards”.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I should add that some of the newer CSRs tout the "new, free" full refund of miles "without penalty" as a positive for the customer, and they actively push a mileage refund rather than looking for rebooked flight options.

As you might imagine, this can leave people with no flights at all. Refunds are not the same as re-accommodation, which is what most people want. In the same cabin booked btw.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Have they elongated dedicated agents for ExPlat too?
Yes, exactly. Any agents caught being too customer-friendly are stretched on the rack as an example to the others.
hhdl, npretnar and pandaperth like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Sometimes spell check is wiser than I give it credit for.

ill leave the typo in to be a good straight man.
npretnar and pandaperth like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by flyingegghead
yes, exactly. Any agents caught being too customer-friendly are stretched on the rack as an example to the others.
☠️ ☠️ ☠️
Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Sometimes spell check is wiser than I give it credit for.

ill leave the typo in to be a good straight man.
“a good straight man” … dying. 🤣

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.