Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation due to sudden illness

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Cancellation due to sudden illness

I know that the information will be readily available but as Iie in a hospital bed after collapsing at home on Friday evening, being rushed to A&E and diagnosed with diagnosed with a brain tumour, my thought processes aren't what they normally are
I am a a precise, obsessive person whose life has just been thrown into chaos.
It's only a short domestic journey that was booked a in few days ago for the two of us but what do we need to do provide ba with to cancel under these conditions? It's not due for about 6 weeks anyway and is vaguely possible to happen dependent on the second or third MRI results, but unlikely
It was to be a special anniversary trip!
Thanks guys.
At least I have my phone to keep my connected to FB!
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Oh dear, this doesn't sound good. If you are where I think you are, then at least you are in good hands and will get excellent ttreatment.

Notwithstanding your "obsessive" comment, I would urge you to focus on things a little closer to hand - a lot can happen in 6 weeks, and for BA that's so far off that it's way off the planning stage. It's quite natural, in these circumstances, for one's mind to drift down all sorts of places, but I can promise you that this one doesn't need to be too far on your radar, it can wait and it isn't that important. Look after yourself and those close to you.

But I better answer the question: you will at some point need some clincial documentation explaining you can't fly, and later on some documentation to say you can fly - BA will normally allow you to reschedule the flight. If the cost isn't too high you may want to cancel even though it's unlikely to be good value for money, but purely to keep things simple. Rebooking is usually the better value option but getting a fit to fly note can be hard work. But whoever signs off the "can't fly" note - doesn't need to be a doctor - may want to be on standby for doing a second note later on. I guess it's unlikely if this is purely domestic, but also check whether it's covered by insurance, that may be the easiest approach. But again, no need to do anything now, it can wait until a few days to departure, and a cancellation can be done on the day of travel if necessary, there's no advantage in doing that earlier on. If you are a Gold cardholder and haven't done this before, they may waive the documentation requirements, but Silver I think needs the papers.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
First priority Stormbel is to take care and look after yourself.
CWS is giving great advice , follow that and don't worry. You can sort out your flight situation later on.
Tough situation for you, wishing you the best.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by camdentown
First priority Stormbel is to take care and look after yourself.
CWS is giving great advice , follow that and don't worry. You can sort out your flight situation later on.
Tough situation for you, wishing you the best.
Likewise, although here on the BA Board folks sometimes disagree about many things one thing is for sure, I would be sure that all the members of Flyertalk and certainly those who frequent here on the BA Board will be sad to hear of your news and send our get well thoughts.

Sage advice as always from CWS and I would echo his comments regarding your flight concerns. Take care.

Pete
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
If it gives the OP peace of mind to deal with this now, I wouldn't stand in their way.

I would give BA a call and explain the situation. They may also say don't worry about it until closer to the time but equally they may jump into action.

You do what's best for you.
PETER01 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 11:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I know, from being on the other side of my wife’s sudden and unexpected cancer diagnosis, that a very natural reaction to the chaos is to fold back on the things that bring structure. I can pretty much measure my anxiety levels by the intricacies of trip arrangements, almost to a comical degree sometimes.

So as a general comment, you’ll probably find it comforting to deal with this trip now. It’s unlikely you’ll be able to take it, and although it could wait, starting to deal with it now provides a focus. Another practical aspect to consider is that while under treatment, travel insurance becomes very expensive.

You’ll also get some practice in the “I’ve been diagnosed with.. “ conversations, which can be difficult; not just because these words are hard to place into your mouth anyway, but because you have to deal with the reactions. You’re always in a different place mentally to those you speak to, and sometimes you want a simple transactional conversation but get awkward expressions of sympathy you somehow have to acknowledge.

My experience was a spike in anxiety and uncertainty, and then after a while there’s a sort of settling to the new situation. What happens next is really a function of how things develop medically, but if you have an opportunity to do things you love, take it.

We’ve been fortunate in that my wife had a couple of lucky breaks, and a two year prognosis stretched into three and maybe four. We continue to make plans as if we have a couple of years available, they’re naturally constrained (but we paid more than the flights for travel insurance to enable a family trip to New York). I continue to interleave my own travel around her treatment. At some point we’ll run out of road, and probably some things will end up not happening, that’s life.

I wish you all the very best for treatment and the road ahead.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 11:56 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Quite simply Stormbel we are sending our very best wishes . Presuming you are in the UK, I have worked for the NHS for 34 years now ,and it’s in situations like yours that it usually excels . Your GP should not mind suppling the relevant paperwork if you struggle to get the hospital to provide it .BA are pretty good at being reasonable in these sort of situations .
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Dear Stormbel, sympathy and understanding from here too, as my lovely iWife was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer [and a bunch of secondaries] out of the blue at the start of February. We had a year's worth of bookings [mainly BA Holidays] in MMB to renew Gold. So we started unravelling the plot! Cancelled PHX on-line for an almost full refund. Cancelled BAH to PUJ, deposit only, and the BAH Agent arranged a full refund of the deposit, with a forwarded letter [which we happened to have] saying she couldn't go there! So far so good, relatively speaking!

Now we are sat looking at a trip to Crete in a fortnight with her next chemo deferred for a week to suit. However, as she's having difficulty with stairs she may well need assistance along the way. Other trips in August, September, October and December will depend on how she is at the time.

So, being organised is good, and having whatever is or may be needed lined up. But also apply positivity for the future, however uncertain that may be.

Best wishes from 'Tottering Towers'!
crazy8534, DaveS, AJA_ and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
To add my best wishes, and some personal experience - I had to cancel for medical reasons and was told as a silver member I din't need to provide paperwork, the booking was put on hold under the same reference
DaveS and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Good wishes to you Strombel and also to bisonrav (and his wife) and T8191 (and his wife), much love from us.

Excellent advice as always from CWS, my experience is that BA are usually compassionate and sensible in these sort of circumstances.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:23 am

First and foremost I hope you will be very well and in its own time.
Secondly my experience is that BA can be quite considerate in such circumstances, seeing as it doesn’t happen often. My father had a stroke awhile back - thankfully fully recovered - and BA said to call back once he was able to travel. My mother has since had her own situations, so between the two of them they never took the BA flights even with the flexibility to rebook, but I was pleased at the gesture.It goes a long way to be considerate in such situations.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 10:39 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's heartbreaking to hear of so many members, or their families, going through very difficult situations. Being in the Community Director position I look upon all of us as a family - probably as dysfunctional as it comes though! It goes without saying that I wish every one of you the very best through your treatments, and hope for the very best outcomes which I know will be different for each individual.

From my own perspective, in 2018 my mother also collapsed at home one night, without warning, and was admitted to hospital. Early on, as various tests were run, there were a lot of potential causes - most of which were not particularly serious. With MrsNWI and I due to travel to Germany for a holiday we decided there wasn't much we could do until there was more news so in consultation with the family we decided to travel knowing we could be back home within a few hours if necessary.

I rang BA and explained the position, asking them to put a note in my PNR in case I needed to change flights at short notice. and off we went. The Gold line agent was fantastic - sympathetic, empathetic and practical. She added the note and told me to call back if I needed any help and they would look after me.

A couple of days later, my mother was given the diagnosis of a brain tumour. I spoke to her on the phone and it was immediately obvious she needed me back at home as much as I needed to be with her. So I rang BA, and they found me two seats on a flight the next day which was sufficiently full that it had been taken off sale. Within 24 hours I was sitting beside my mother. At no point did they ask for any paperwork to confirm. I will forever be grateful to them for that.

I don't think it matters when you ring BA - particularly on a status line, the agents are almost certainly going to help you. If you think it'd be better you to do it now, and get a marker put down, then do it. If you think you'd rather concentrate on your recovery, then wait.

Whatever you decide, I know we're all here to support you and provide whatever advice you need.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
We are both Silver and that will have a bearing on things. As always CWS gives sage advice and this forum of friends who I don't know is so often my support mechanism both reading how you are both a shoulder to proverbially cry on and the angels of fantastic guidance. Tomorrow will tell so much with the CAT torso results.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
My very best wishes to you, Stormbel.
DaveS likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
BA will be very sympathetic under their medical policies for illness. You would need to tell them before the flight so they can “PROTect” the booking for future rerouting.

Hope you make a full recovery and best wishes.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.