Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WN making significant cuts at ATL - (Speculation) effect on DL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Morning all, today on the WN earnings call they mentioned that they will be making significant capacity reductions at ATL. See:

https://swamedia.com/releases/release-f9b0d09b13627fa65cf1f5e65d0c91db-southwest-airlines-reports-first-quarter-2024-results

They did not say what that means yet, but I think it'll mean even higher fares on Delta where they compete head to head. WN is a backup airline for me out of ATL, but I've noticed when I book a Delta flight that leaves about the same time as a WN flight to the same destination DL keeps the basic and main cabin fares relatively close to what WN is offering.

Also, wonder if they will return any gates? I know DL wants more, and I think I read somewhere that other airlines also want more (Spirit or Frontier maybe?) so wonder if this will lead to DL having more gates on C (or D or E if Frontier/Spirit can move).
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Morning all, today on the WN earnings call they mentioned that they will be making significant capacity reductions at ATL. See:

https://swamedia.com/releases/release-f9b0d09b13627fa65cf1f5e65d0c91db-southwest-airlines-reports-first-quarter-2024-results

They did not say what that means yet, but I think it'll mean even higher fares on Delta where they compete head to head. WN is a backup airline for me out of ATL, but I've noticed when I book a Delta flight that leaves about the same time as a WN flight to the same destination DL keeps the basic and main cabin fares relatively close to what WN is offering.

Also, wonder if they will return any gates? I know DL wants more, and I think I read somewhere that other airlines also want more (Spirit or Frontier maybe?) so wonder if this will lead to DL having more gates on C (or D or E if Frontier/Spirit can move).
Somewhat off topic - did Southwest just basically destroy Airtran's old presense / network out of Atlanta after they bought it? Did they retain planes? What happened with that merger? Huge waste or so it seems
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Somewhat off topic - did Southwest just basically destroy Airtran's old presense / network out of Atlanta after they bought it? Did they retain planes? What happened with that merger? Huge waste or so it seems
They significantly shrunk it. A good chunk of AirTran’s old aircraft (717) ended up at DL. The AirTran-Southwest merger and Alaska-Virgin America merger were two of the worst mergers that essentially destroyed and gutted a competitor. AS has removed all former VX aircraft from its fleet.
hhdl, emma dog, Adelphos and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Delta is probably very happy with the merger. AirTran had 220 flights per day at its peak, WN has a little over 100.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-air...FSZBGEFF75WB4/
Adelphos, hhdl, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Only thing I see this doing is further emboldening DL to raise prices even more at their fortress hub.
hockeystl, Spiff and ohhleary like this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 2:00 pm

They were gone long before my time traveling, but Eastern truly appears to be the last time Delta had a meaningful competitor at ATL.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Only thing I see this doing is further emboldening DL to raise prices even more at their fortress hub.
Look at the positive - fewer WN flights hopefully means more gates DL could obtain, thereby decreasing the probability of your gate being occupied when you arrive in ATL (having a ground crew to guide you in and a gate agent to connect the jetway still TBD )
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:37 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
If I remember correctly, didn't the merger allow Southwest to fly internationally, as they were domestic only prior to the "merger"?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by spudley007
If I remember correctly, didn't the merger allow Southwest to fly internationally, as they were domestic only prior to the "merger"?
They first started International ops in Summer 2014 and the merger wasn’t officially completed until December 2014, so no but the merger did accelerate their International plans.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:07 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe it'll encourage the other airlines to build their presence in ATL.

I wish they'd boot DL out of Terminal T and put most of the other airlines there.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:04 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by hotturnip

I wish they'd boot DL out of Terminal T and put most of the other airlines there.
negative. Us Atlanta based frequent flyers appreciate getting t gate flights.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by hotturnip

DL has 8 of the 15 T gates and AA/UA have the other 7.

What is the reason DL should have to give up the best gates when they already have less than their "fair share" based on overall flights?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:41 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Delta is probably very happy with the merger. AirTran had 220 flights per day at its peak, WN has a little over 100.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-air...FSZBGEFF75WB4/
DL will be not only be happy to see this but also take credit for it as well. And some of it is due to DL, but a big part is Boeing.

Air Tran merger is like AA buying TW, major accomplishment was removing a competitor and most of its capacity from the market.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
DL will be not only be happy to see this but also take credit for it as well. And some of it is due to DL, but a big part is Boeing.

Air Tran merger is like AA buying TW, major accomplishment was removing a competitor and most of its capacity from the market.
Not really the same thing. TWA would have likely met the same fate as Pan Am and Eastern if AA had not acquired them.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by xliioper
Not really the same thing. TWA would have likely met the same fate as Pan Am and Eastern if AA had not acquired them.
If DL had acquired TW the landscape would be different today, DL could have started on an interesting growth trajectory. Regardless, all this is speculation, we cannot undo the past.

Back to the point of the thread, I agree that certain markets will see fares increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.