Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

panicking mode omg [struggling to upgrade flight]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

hello

I am flying back to UK in a few days. I have just gone on to my booking to double check the price given for upgrade online..

OMG It is now saying my flight is NOT available for upgrade!!! All I did was to choose a seat as I am bronze.

I visited the BA desk spoke to lovely woman who advised me to wait a while until price dropped

now this has happened Does anyone know if I will be allowed to upgrade at the BA desk please?

So panicking ! Any help aprreciated thank you
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you want to guarantee flying in a higher cabin, phone BA and ask for the price to rebook into that cabin
Getting discounted upgrade offers is not a guarantee
You may, or may not, be able to get a discounted upgrade on the day at the airport

I doubt that doing a seat selection had any impact on the offer

I would stop panicking and accept that you only have a guarantee of the booked cabin - anything else is only a possibility - if it is critical to travel in a higher cabin, then call reservations and it can quote for the desired service

Last edited by Dave Noble; Apr 25, 2024 at 9:19 pm
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Any mantra over panicking should come from (the excellent) Bridge of Spies: “would it help?”. Moreover, I can’t see much to panic over here - as mentioned, booking below the cabin you wish to travel in should only be done if you are willing to travel as booked.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:32 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
You don't say what your route is, nor what your class of travel is, but it's also entirely possible that currently the cabin above yours is either full or projected to be full and therefore there are no tickers ro be sold. If you gave further details no doubt a kind person here could look up availability on Expertflyer.

Alternatively, you could do a dummy booking in the higher cabin to see if BA would even sell you a ticket.

If it looks like there's space then you could ask at the airport if an AUP (Airport Upgrade Price) is available. This will be a discount from the fare difference + change fee, but is not guaranteed to be available. Details of how they work, and some typical pricing, are available in the thread in this forum, linked in the Dashboard.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by mchcin canada
hello

I am flying back to UK in a few days. I have just gone on to my booking to double check the price given for upgrade online..

OMG It is now saying my flight is NOT available for upgrade!!! All I did was to choose a seat as I am bronze.
I think you're just getting confused about that message, which often appears. Selecting a seat wouldn't be a factor.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mchcin canada
hello

I visited the BA desk spoke to lovely woman who advised me to wait a while until price dropped

now this has happened Does anyone know if I will be allowed to upgrade at the BA desk please?

So panicking ! Any help aprreciated thank you
I’m slightly confused at the panicking! So you’re panicking because you might have to fly the class that you booked rather than be allowed to upgrade?

As others have said if you literally have fly the higher class than phone BA and ask how much . If they’re selling seats am sure they’ll take your money but it might not be the bargain you might want,

good luck!
AJNEDC, LETTERBOY, Buster and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that is what causes you to panic, be grateful the rest of your life is in such good order.

With any airline offer - be it fares or upgrades - if you like the number then buy it. There are no guarantees that anything will stick around, most especially if the price is attractive as it'll likely stimulate demand.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you’d be willing to share your route, date and cabin, I’m sure someone could check the availability of your flight. While availability in-and-of-itself is not a guarantee that any promotional upgrades will be offered, it will at least suggest whether a fare difference upgrade would be possible by calling BA, or indeed whether the cabin you want to upgrade to has no availability to sell.

Agree with others that while booking a lower cabin and looking for a cheap upgrade can often work out, it’s a risky strategy since upgrades are never guaranteed, especially if it engenders such panic.
email2markt likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Perhaps the OP is panicking because they are flying business class instead of First! Mrs Bouquet would be horrified!
ratechaser and the810 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:42 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Perhaps the OP is panicking because they are flying business class instead of First! Mrs Bouquet would be horrified!
The problem is, I've had 3 sectors in first in the last few months, and I'm suddenly coming to realise how poky it feels in (old) CW.

I'm hoping that my first flights in CSs later this year restore a sense of proportion, but honestly, what sort of monster has BA turned me into??
Old Apr 27, 2024, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by ratechaser
The problem is, I've had 3 sectors in first in the last few months, and I'm suddenly coming to realise how poky it feels in (old) CW.

I'm hoping that my first flights in CSs later this year restore a sense of proportion, but honestly, what sort of monster has BA turned me into??
my own take after flying first and new CS, is that if I had to take an overnight flight in club I would rather have the old CW that the new CS: yes you get a door and many storage compartments, but once putting the seat flat, it feels like you are in a coffin and it is very hard to sleep, especially when being woken by excruciating pain for having hit your knees/lower legs against the under-tray frame.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
my own take after flying first and new CS, is that if I had to take an overnight flight in club I would rather have the old CW that the new CS: yes you get a door and many storage compartments, but once putting the seat flat, it feels like you are in a coffin and it is very hard to sleep, especially when being woken by excruciating pain for having hit your knees/lower legs against the under-tray frame.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of coffin style seats for sleeping, but then I'm not much of a sleeper on planes full stop - where possible I tend to favour day flights these days and enjoy the hospitality.
DaveS and the810 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by ratechaser

I’m sort of with you there abiut the seat pitch in F except I prefer club world to the club suites. I have mild claustrophobia about my feet (yes I know it’s probably irrational) and for that reason I don’t like the club suites. I do sleep on planes and taking a long haul day flight ruins my sleep pattern if I’ve slept most of the flight.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Not to diverge the thread, hopefully the OP returns and gives us an update on why they need an upgrade.

It’s intriguing that quite a few more FTers are saying how they prefer old CW seats vs new CS for sleeping. Its also is a little crazy considering how an overwhelming majority of FTers and no doubt the public wanted a new business class after nearly two decades of CW ying yang. Surely old CW isn’t the best business class bed in the sky?

I wonder how much BA pay attention to this sort of product feedback considering it’s a very costly product and is not by any stretch possible to alter without incurring considerable costs.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:43 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Surely old CW isn’t the best business class bed in the sky?
Oman Air Apex suites.. all the benefits of the old CW with none of the pitfalls..
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.