Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon request to bring free guest into a Centurion Lounge for Quick Drink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:16 am
Original Poster

I'm getting married in a little over 3 weeks and will be honeymooning for 2.5 weeks with my future wife Rebecca. I have the AmEx Platinum card (but Becca doesn't). I don't hit the $75K annual spend, so I don't have any guest abilities. I'll have access to the Centurion lounge 4 times on our honeymoon (MIA, LAX, SFO, LAX). I'm wondering, what do you think the chances are of the receptionist at the Centurion Lounges letting us get a quick drink at the bar together since we're on our honeymoon? We can go into Priority Pass lounges if they say no, but thought I'd ask this well-traveled group of people to see if this might be a possibility.

Please have grace for the question as I understood the likelihood is very low, but just thought I'd ask the FT community to see if anyone has any guidance. My current leaning is that it can't hurt to ask, but be understanding if they say no. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Zero, but for $175 you can make it 100% by gifting her a Plat AU card.
rbrad, nexusCFX, jhartvu and 14 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Zero, but for $175 you can make it 100% by gifting her a Plat AU card.
There's also still a $50 one-time guest option isn't there? But presuming they hope to take many future trips together the AU route may make more sense
dw, rbrad and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rbrad
I'm getting married in a little over 3 weeks and will be honeymooning for 2.5 weeks with my future wife Rebecca. I have the AmEx Platinum card (but Becca doesn't). I don't hit the $75K annual spend, so I don't have any guest abilities. I'll have access to the Centurion lounge 4 times on our honeymoon (MIA, LAX, SFO, LAX). I'm wondering, what do you think the chances are of the receptionist at the Centurion Lounges letting us get a quick drink at the bar together since we're on our honeymoon? We can go into Priority Pass lounges if they say no, but thought I'd ask this well-traveled group of people to see if this might be a possibility.

Please have grace for the question as I understood the likelihood is very low, but just thought I'd ask the FT community to see if anyone has any guidance. My current leaning is that it can't hurt to ask, but be understanding if they say no. Thanks in advance.
Others have already answered to some degree. The likelihood of this being allowed is very low IMHO. However, have you considered that in the grand scheme of the overall cost of your wedding, honeymoon, what ever you'll be spending on food/drink, etc. at your destination, that paying the $50 guest fee a couple times or, as others have suggested, getting your new bride an authorized user card really doesn't add very much at all to the overall cost of the trip?

I sometimes chuckle at how many people are adamant about not spending money on a lounge entry fee, but they will spend multiples of that amount in the same day on Uber rides without even blinking an eye!

Regards
msp3, rbrad, javacodeguy and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:03 am

Smile

Congrats, @rbrad !
work2fly, rbrad and PLeblond like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Consider the newlywed-stage marital benefits of presenting your new wife with an Amex platinum authorized user card.
rbrad, notquiteaff, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think it's nice that he's planning options to get his wife in the lounge.

I suppose you could go in and half-jokingly ask if they could waive the guest fee for your new spouse since you're honeymooners. Be prepared to pay, but maybe you'll get lucky. Some of the attendants might be romantics.
rbrad likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:59 pm

I remember reading this years ago and thinking the guy was a jackass for making his wives wait outside while he enjoyed the benefits.
I know it's very much a patriarchal society in certain parts of the world, so I don't want to impose my beliefs on others, but at least rbrad won't be that guy...LOL

https://onemileatatime.com/lounge-access-polygamy/

Also agree with others that getting her an AU card would be a nice gesture.....She could always decide after you're married that it doesn't make sense to keep paying for it, but the "marital goodwill" could be worth it...just showing that you cared enough to include her. I don't know what your budget is, but $175 for at least 4 guest visits, plus the good will, sweet feelings etc...Could be worth it and the surprise factor could enhance your honeymoon.

Surprise her....present her with the card at the front desk of the first lounge in front of the employees and hand them your phone, while asking them to take a picture of you as a newlywed couple.....It sounds cheezy, but in the social media age it'll give you one more picture to post. They may actually offer you some freebees.....It makes their day "better" too! Regardless...Congrats!!!
dw, rbrad and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Apr 26, 2024 at 1:11 pm
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
The odds are about the same as asking for free drinks at any bar at the airport. Perhaps even less so, since once you're in you can eat and drink as much as you wish.
SPN Lifer and rbrad like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:22 pm

Ask her what she wants - not what you think she wants. My wife hates lounges.
rbrad likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diesteldorf (Post # 8)
Surprise her....present her with the card at the front desk of the first lounge in front of the employees and hand them your phone, while asking them to take a picture of you as a newlywed couple.....It sounds cheezy, but in the social media age it'll give you one more picture to post. They may actually offer you some freebees.....It makes their day "better" too! Regardless...Congrats!!!
In the Navy we often referred to the 7Ps -- Proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance.

Plan ahead. What you do now will form a foundation for your marital relationship. Do you want it to be based upon entitlement and begging, or upon preparation? As someone married almost 32 years (in June), the latter has served me and my wonderful spouse very well indeed. 🎶 💚
rbrad, notquiteaff, Kacee and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input and for grace in your responses Certainly was not wanting to take advantage or be entitled in any way, just getting your guidance. And I’m gathering information from those wiser than me (you all) in order to make the best informed decision to prepare well for a special experience - thanks!

2 quick follow-up questions based on your comments notquiteaff Zorak diesteldorf jghassell :
  1. I don’t think it would, but just clarifying, would the authorized user card show up on a credit report? We’re really enjoying player two mode (she’s into travel hacking too) and we don’t want to slow down our ability to apply for cards at all.
    2. With lifetime language and recent changes to AmEx, an AU card would not disqualify her from any kind of platinum or gold bonus sign up bonus in the future, right?
Only the layover in SFO is significantly more than 2 hours, so that may be the only opportunity to relax for a while which would make a guest fee worth it (in our opinion). She also has two kids above the age of 2 from her husband who sadly passed away 2 years ago, and the fact that we can’t guest them in is factoring in to my decision to probably not incur the $195 annual cost to have her as an AU since we will travel with them in the future. The kiddos are not coming on the honeymoon
flytoeat and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbrad
  1. I don’t think it would, but just clarifying, would the authorized user card show up on a credit report? We’re really enjoying player two mode (she’s into travel hacking too) and we don’t want to slow down our ability to apply for cards at all.
    2. With lifetime language and recent changes to AmEx, an AU card would not disqualify her from any kind of platinum or gold bonus sign up bonus in the future, right?

The AU card would show up on her credit report, though the impact would likely be minimal if any. Being an AU does not disqualify her (or any AU) from a relevant sign up bonus.
rbrad and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 1:29 pm

You could ask but the lounge dragons are sticklers to the rules. The only lounge I've seen where they aren't butthurt about something is DFW.
rbrad likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by m907
You could ask but the lounge dragons are sticklers to the rules. The only lounge I've seen where they aren't butthurt about something is DFW.
What do you do to have so many data points? I just show my ID, boarding pass and Plat card and am waived in. When my connection is > 3 hrs, I also show my arriving boarding pass. I have never had any issues getting into the lounge when I met the published requirements.
lowfareair and jhartvu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.