Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic as SkyTeam Elite+ member

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Virgin Atlantic as SkyTeam Elite+ member

So i booked a VS leg from LHR to BOS on an AF ticket. VS leg is code shared on an AF flight number. I am Platinum For Life at Flying Blue.

on VS you can not:
- see the seat chart in the booking
- select a seat at all
- select a seat at airport for free, seat is selected for you. If you don't like it, you will have to pay 30-50 GBP.
- use extra leg room/plus seats free of charge like on AF/KLM
- bid for upgrade
- use miles to upgrade
- have lounge access to the VS Clubhouse in LHR
- check in at all, needs to be done at airport

I already know now this is the last time I am flying VS. Totally useless system, even the basics are not in place.
I do not understand in this day and age with AI and all the new IT developments why it's so difficult just to show a seat map, make seat selection possible, check in etc.

Annoying !

So just to had to get that off my sleeve

Any good hacks to avoid these things?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL
So i booked a VS leg from LHR to BOS on an AF ticket. VS leg is code shared on an AF flight number. I am Platinum For Life at Flying Blue.

on VS you can not:
- see the seat chart in the booking
- select a seat at all
- select a seat at airport for free, seat is selected for you. If you don't like it, you will have to pay 30-50 GBP.
- use extra leg room/plus seats free of charge like on AF/KLM
- bid for upgrade
- use miles to upgrade
- have lounge access to the VS Clubhouse in LHR
- check in at all, needs to be done at airport
Some points listed are pure policy decision by VS , for instance lounge rules at LHR , some are just about agreements not signed , while the rest is technical integration not done

Detail like "use extra leg room/plus seats free of charge like on AF/KLM" is irrelevant . While some carriers grants benefits like this to elite members from same alliance , the general behaviour in this industry is to make you pay like all paxs unless you are elite flying with airline who granted you status

Any good hacks to avoid these things?
I assume that same booking under VS code would have been slightly more easy to manage

Codesharing can be a double edge sword , you need to study the in and out to know what to select or avoid

I like AM planes but i do recognize their greediness and bad customer service stopped me from booking with them , bit similar story with CM just add star alliance headache with status miles. However both cant be easily avoided if travelling in central america

Solution = book under AFKL codeshare , and voila , best of both worlds

I do not understand in this day and age with AI and all the new IT developments why it's so difficult just to show a seat map, make seat selection possible, check in etc.
wait until you see what is a GDS , then you will start to understand all the marketing blabla about innovation is just pure BS

Last edited by fifty_two; Apr 26, 2024 at 5:39 am
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:48 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

What I can say is that the integration of VS into the alliance has gone down the wrong pipe.. from what I feel, them joining ST was just because of the co-operation with DL and AF/KL. Until today, close to a year (or more) - it is nearly impossible to get the correct miles credited to the VS program nor add the number.
Furthermore, there's really not much of recognition as a VS Elite/Elite Plus when flying outside of VS itself. So I am not surprised with all the limitation that you have highlighted in your post.
I guess the same situation will happen with the upcoming joining of SK into the alliance.

I doubt that there will be any better way outside of calling VS to resolve it.

Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I guess the same situation will happen with the upcoming joining of SK into the alliance.
I would not expect that; there's one very big difference; AFKL themselves are the ones bringing SK into the fold, so you can expect full and reciprocal recognition of Flying Blue benefits on SK and Eurobonus benefits on AFKL once this kicks off.

And as regards other (non-FB) Skyteam Elites - I don't believe that AFKL (will) view these quite as contemptuously as DL/VS appear to do, so I expect that other (non-FB) Skyteam elites won't experience the same level of barely-being-recognised on SK that one finds on VS/DL

I doubt that there will be any better way outside of calling VS to resolve it.
You may as well save your breath; calling VS is unlikely to remedy (m)any of the points given above. You'll not get into the LHR VS Clubhouse just by calling to complain, for instance.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You may as well save your breath; calling VS is unlikely to remedy (m)any of the points given above. You'll not get into the LHR VS Clubhouse just by calling to complain, for instance.
Yes for the lounge access that is clear as it's clearly indicated, but for the other if the OP is not able to do it online and there are other expected benefits as a ST E+ member, for example seating, this can be done via the phone.

Cheers!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
S
Detail like "use extra leg room/plus seats free of charge like on AF/KLM" is irrelevant . While some carriers grants benefits like this to elite members from same alliance , the general behaviour in this industry is to make you pay like all paxs
It is indeed relevant. The Skyteam site states this as a benefit:

Buuuut: Except VS:
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Yes for the lounge access that is clear as it's clearly indicated, but for the other if the OP is not able to do it online and there are other expected benefits as a ST E+ member, for example seating, this can be done via the phone.

Cheers!
Well I don't think that is clearly indicated, both the Skyteam and VS site are saying the exact opposite:

Billyfergus likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:16 am

In this case I will follow the rules set out by VS themselves. For the lounge, I would bring a copy of that print to show them at the airport. For the other benefits, I am afraid it is either HUCA if it is clearly indicated that as ST E+ you should receive the benefits. This is what I hate especially with the ST Alliance - stingy in some ways across benefits from one member to another and the worst is no lounge when on domestic flights without international ones especially in the US.

Cheers!
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In this case I will follow the rules set out by VS themselves. For the lounge, I would bring a copy of that print to show them at the airport.
But what's shown above are not the rules; it's merely a vague answer to a question, written before VS actually entered Skyteam and before the access rules (which have seen some tweaking) were published.

Their current rules posted on the website will be of no help:

FBs Golds in Economy or Premium Economy, and FB Platinums in Economy, simply don't get access to the T3 Clubhouse (instead, they are directed to the Aspire lounge)

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/n...clubhouse.html
Attached Images  
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
FB Platinums in Economy, simply don't get access to the T3 Clubhouse (instead, they are directed to the Aspire lounge)
AFAIK, this is new to me, I believed FB Plat used to have access even when flying Y.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olivedel
AFAIK, this is new to me, I believed FB Plat used to have access even when flying Y.

It changed last summer, a few months after their official entry into Skyteam.

They have tightened up the access rules significantly. They previously granted access to Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines status holders in various configurations, but those no longer get access. And they no longer grant access to any Skyteam Elite Plus members (other than VS, DL or Flying Blue in the stated configurations)

Originally Posted by Gajan
Now only for Platinum members flying in Premium (or Upper Class):

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...clubhouse.html
Attached Images    

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 26, 2024 at 10:29 am
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thank you Irishguy28 for providing up to date information.
My understanding is that ST elite+ never get access to the lounge based on status; except for SkyMiles DM/PM and FB Plat, but only in they fly in VS Premium (PE), not Y.
Correct?
Old Apr 27, 2024, 3:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
It is indeed relevant. The Skyteam site states this as a benefit:
yes i know what the website says , but i am talking about day to day reality ; the so called skyteam rules are not enforced , there are exceptions .

Some we really enjoy while others like this case are not good for us.

If you have rules , however in the same time you allow airlines to make exceptions on their own terms then its like flipping a coin , and you , as a customer , will be happy as long as you win

Buuuut: Except VS:
Not only VS , i can tell you similar stories about AM, OK, UX, KQ doing the same , i think SU also did

Not related to seating options but DL just announced a new lounge with similar type of restrictions as VS in LHR , QR in DOH and soon TK in IST

So quoting the alliance website is ok and i do agree with you , if they wrote it that means its supposed to be this way ; but once you remember that an alliance is more of a marketing shell allowing airlines to leverage business opportunities rather than a real fully fledged governing body , then you understand it has little value cause in the end each airline decides what they want to do and seems to face little to no consequences for not respecting the "rules"

Now comparing the skyteam situation with others i can tell you its not that bad , as elite member when flying star alliance in general its essentially lounge + fast track and free luggage, period . And you can be happy if a star alliance airline gives you more than these 3

Last edited by fifty_two; Apr 27, 2024 at 7:25 pm
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
One must accept that the concept of "alliance" is getting weaker and weaker.
Airlines are getting to favor their own pax, especially J and F. And when a a few airlines in the alliance are getting airline-centric, others are inclined to respond.
OW is a smaller alliance with high-quality members and good benefits. But cracks in the status benefits are showing. No more alliance-wide policy of bag check-through on separate tickets. Some airlines reserve their "premium" premium lounge to J & F pax.
We are trending to a model where an alliance will simply mean crediting miles and status point across the alliance, a basic lounge, and some status benefits available on some airlines with a preference for their own FFP (extra bag, free seat assignment,...). Of course, that might take time.
Goldorak and fifty_two like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Hilton Diamond, Sixt Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Amex Centurion
It changed last summer, a few months after their official entry into Skyteam.

They have tightened up the access rules significantly. They previously granted access to Virgin Australia, Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines status holders in various configurations, but those no longer get access. And they no longer grant access to any Skyteam Elite Plus members (other than VS, DL or Flying Blue in the stated configurations)
Do you know if Upper Class Wing check in area is available to STE+ without flying premium? Their website says it does, but might be an oversight in updating the page. It doesn’t have the ‘premium’ language added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.