Search

Help With Positioning Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Help With Positioning Flight

Hi all,

I am positioning to Dublin on 6th November to pick up the start of my ex-eu trip to Miami.

I totally understand the risks involved in not getting there the night before however I will be travelling out on the same day.

- The start of the trip is on the BA0845 Departing at 10:40am from Dublin to Heathrow.
- Shall I get the BA0832 which lands in Dublin at 8:25am.
- Or shall I get the BA0830 which land in Dublin at 9:50am.

Am I right in thinking the latter is the back 2 back option?

Would this be safer than getting the earlier but independent flight?

Any thoughts on this would be great.

Cheers
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
First one is risky because of general delays , 2nd is risky because you may not get round in time. If it has to be one of them I’d do the second probably.

but I wouldn’t front end an expensive ex EU with any significant risk, I’d go the preceding evening.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
BA will have moved terminals by then so I’m not sure if B2B will still be possible especially if bus gates and immigration/security is involved.

if you take the earlier flight the 832 to return on the 845 there is a risk that if this is delayed the aircraft operating the return 845 will leave before your one does.

You need to ensure that you can get to DUB in time for the 845 and have a back up plan, with winter ops, Dublin congestion, bus gates and having to go through arrivals and departures both flights are very risky IMO and you run the risk of missing your flight and losing the holiday. Others including you may have greater risk tolerances but for me I’d definitely go the day before.
Gallus1 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
An additional risk is that for November, a lot of things can change including flights being retimed or cancelled, so booking now could mean either of the two itineraries being affected without the other becoming flexible.

I'd recommend the OP has a look at the b2b thread - DUB is by no means surefire now, and even though the new terminal theoretically has a connection route, it also comes with greater risk of bus gates. Bus gates are the no1 enemy of b2b plans because if the arrival flight is delayed, the airline may well choose to board people on time and put them in buses to try and recoup some of the delay whilst the arriving passengers may have been significantly delayed and waiting for half the plane to fill the first bus.

So personally, if that is the timing of the departure flight, I wouldn't consider either option fully safe given the risk of losing an expensive long haul J trip and would come the night before.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I would fly the evening before without any doubt for a 10:40 departure in November
Misco60, MaxFlyer, SFO777 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bisonrav
First one is risky because of general delays , 2nd is risky because you may not get round in time. If it has to be one of them I’d do the second probably.

but I wouldn’t front end an expensive ex EU with any significant risk, I’d go the preceding evening.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
BA will have moved terminals by then so I’m not sure if B2B will still be possible especially if bus gates and immigration/security is involved.

if you take the earlier flight the 832 to return on the 845 there is a risk that if this is delayed the aircraft operating the return 845 will leave before your one does.

You need to ensure that you can get to DUB in time for the 845 and have a back up plan, with winter ops, Dublin congestion, bus gates and having to go through arrivals and departures both flights are very risky IMO and you run the risk of missing your flight and losing the holiday. Others including you may have greater risk tolerances but for me I’d definitely go the day before.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
An additional risk is that for November, a lot of things can change including flights being retimed or cancelled, so booking now could mean either of the two itineraries being affected without the other becoming flexible.

I'd recommend the OP has a look at the b2b thread - DUB is by no means surefire now, and even though the new terminal theoretically has a connection route, it also comes with greater risk of bus gates. Bus gates are the no1 enemy of b2b plans because if the arrival flight is delayed, the airline may well choose to board people on time and put them in buses to try and recoup some of the delay whilst the arriving passengers may have been significantly delayed and waiting for half the plane to fill the first bus.

So personally, if that is the timing of the departure flight, I wouldn't consider either option fully safe given the risk of losing an expensive long haul J trip and would come the night before.
Originally Posted by Lefly
I would fly the evening before without any doubt for a 10:40 departure in November
Fully noted all. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll get the 5pm from Heathrow and get there the night before then haha.

I guess this allows me to have an interview on arrival for my Global Entry right? Or are we technically arriving into domestic?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
100% fly in the night before.
Grande Annee and BravoKilo like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Ignore - I misread....

Last edited by DYKWIA; Apr 26, 2024 at 10:43 am
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by eugegall
I guess this allows me to have an interview on arrival for my Global Entry right? Or are we technically arriving into domestic?
The CBP representatives are in the USA pre-clearance area, and you won't have access to that area unless you have a direct DUB-USA ticket - there's a check before you go down to the lower Pre-clearance level to L1, whereas you are going to be arriving into T2 on L3. The T2 Flight Connection area closes at 16:30 so you cannot go from L3 to L2 and then L1. So I'm pretty sure it won't happen in DUB.

As for B2B with BA in T2, I think you need to wait a few months before we find out what happens there, since there are quite a few unknown factors before we know how B2Bs will work in T2.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:54 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I would also recommend flying in the night before. There are reasonable hotels on the airport grounds.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

You'll all be pleased to hear that I booked the night before. In fact I have booked the 3:30pm so plenty of room for issues.
orbitmic, KeaneJohn, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The CBP representatives are in the USA pre-clearance area, and you won't have access to that area unless you have a direct DUB-USA ticket - there's a check before you go down to the lower Pre-clearance level to L1, whereas you are going to be arriving into T2 on L3. The T2 Flight Connection area closes at 16:30 so you cannot go from L3 to L2 and then L1. So I'm pretty sure it won't happen in DUB.

As for B2B with BA in T2, I think you need to wait a few months before we find out what happens there, since there are quite a few unknown factors before we know how B2Bs will work in T2.
Ah thats a shame.

No chance at arriving early on the day of my flight back to LHR and having an interview?

Or just save it for my Miami arrival?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ah thats a shame.

No chance at arriving early on the day of my flight back to LHR and having an interview?

I can't see you getting past the phalanx of pre-clearance helpers on L2 and then the ticket check desk on L1 without a ticket to the USA from Dublin. So MIA seems more likely plus you have to go through the system in MIA somehow or other. It's some way off, perhaps you have a trip before November?
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Ah thats a shame.

You can read about EoA at MIA experiences here:
​​​​​​Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival
Just search for "MIA".

At DUB as noted by c-w-s the answer is no, as you won't be departing on a flight to the US and won't have access to the preclearance area. You can search for "DUB" in the thread above to read more.
eugegall likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Fully noted all. Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll get the 5pm from Heathrow and get there the night before then haha.

Your last flight to the US will be from Heathrow - that doesn't have pre-clearance. But you will be able to do interview on arrival at the airport you arrive in? Miami? What happens seems to vary by where you do the interview. For me I did it at JFK which was weird because you have to queue up as normal to enter the country and then afterwards there's an angry-looking woman at a desk to the side just before customs who you need to talk to who interrogates you for about 5 minutes. In other airports I've heard they take you aside before immigration into a separate room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.