Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oversold on 3 class A321 seat questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
oversold on 3 class A321 seat questions

Greetings;

I have LAX-BOS-LHR in J for 2 on hold. Only one seat available on LAX-BOS, which I took for one of us. Expertflyer is showing F5 A5 C3 J3 after I put them on hold.

Does Expertflyer account for the 2 on hold and there are still 3 they are willing to sell?

I suppose there are a few possibilities if another seat in J doesn't open up.
a) They roll someone else up to F
b) They put on of us in F
c) They put both of us in F

Any guesses as to whether one scenario is more likely than the others? I'm thinking it will come down to the gate agent. Any reason to avoid this booking if we are willing to sit apart (it's a significant savings over the other options). There is limited space on the other AA nonstops but look like plenty of space on the BA direct flights. (My status is only platinum).
Old May 6, 2024, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by beachfan
Greetings;

I have LAX-BOS-LHR in J for 2 on hold. Only one seat available on LAX-BOS, which I took for one of us. Expertflyer is showing F5 A5 C3 J3 after I put them on hold.

Does Expertflyer account for the 2 on hold and there are still 3 they are willing to sell?

Any guesses as to whether one scenario is more likely than the others? I'm thinking it will come down to the gate agent. Any reason to avoid this booking if we are willing to sit apart (it's a significant savings over the other options). There is limited space on the other AA nonstops but look like plenty of space on the BA direct flights. (My status is only platinum).
EF does take into account your hold, for flight availability purposes thats really no different than if you had fully booked it.

AA frequently oversells J on the transcons, so any of those 3 scenarios are a possibility, really comes down to the gate on how they want to process it and shuffle folks around.
Old May 6, 2024, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
EF does take into account your hold, for flight availability purposes thats really no different than if you had fully booked it.

AA frequently oversells J on the transcons, so any of those 3 scenarios are a possibility, really comes down to the gate on how they want to process it and shuffle folks around.
Thanks.

I'm wondering if my odds of both going in F are better if neither of us has a seat assignment.
Old May 6, 2024, 4:35 pm

They'll try to sell J>F in-app upgrade until maybe T-12 then most likely op-up based on status.
bgasser and beachfan like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I don't think it makes you more likely to get an op-up without a seat assignment. My advice is to get the seat you'd prefer while you can.

FWIW, years ago I was once comp upgraded Y->J on a BOS-LAX operated by the A321T (before gate control) and every J seat was already taken. Then a lot of the J cabin was rolled up to F. When I went to the gate agent to get my seat assignment, they printed a Y seat! When I pointed this out, they found me a J seat (did not give me an F seat, I asked of course .
Old May 6, 2024, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Greetings;

More likely they would upgrade someone flying solo to F than split you both up.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The general practice in an oversell situation would be to roll forward paid J by status so as a Plat you may be a bit down the list.

But I can say it happens a lot on LAX-BOS. I’ve probably been moved up to F about 1/3 of my flights on this route in the past two years.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
If you really wanted to sit together, especially on the A321T, and there are not 2 seats together now, and one of you gets upgraded to F...it's a compelling offer to give a J person the F seat. I'd certainly move
ValleyEarl likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Thanks.

I'm wondering if my odds of both going in F are better if neither of us has a seat assignment.
No. They'll run an op-up upgrade list. It'll prioritize based on status/fare paid.

Have had this on the daily 77W MIA-LAX many times. Not picking seat just means getting left over J seats, not better chance at F
ryanbriar likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; May 6, 2024 at 6:49 pm
Old May 6, 2024, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. There was only one seat, my least favorite, last row window. I took it and have set expert flyer alerts.

Ive done the F for J swap before, that works well.

and the hold date on the app is a day later than on the web, weird, second time this week.
Old May 7, 2024, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Some seats are blocked and will be released during OLCI or at check-in counters/gate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.