Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Extra Travel for Business/First Qatar worth it over Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Hello Flyertalk members,

I'm looking for opinions on some travel coming up. Below are my ticket options (Avios redemptions)

Option 1) Fly Qatar Economy (20 hours) from NYC to (via DOHA) BKK (~55k avios): This is easy as I am closest to NYC.
Option 2) Fly Qatar Business/First (part Qsuites, part First 777) (33 hours) from Miami to (via DOHA) BKK (~110k avios). This will require spending ~$200-400 for flights/hotel for getting and staying in Miami. Roughly 3 hours of flight time and 1-3 nights of hotel.

Pros of Option 1
  • 20 hours: Less travel time (-13 hours flight, -3 hours flight to Miami, -hotel costs)
  • Half the points redeemed which can be used for further adventures
Cons of Option 1
  • Economy seating/food
  • Have to work with Qatar customer service to refund ticket purchased (Option 2 below)
Pros of Option 2
  • Experience Qsuites and Qatar First class
  • Experience Doha First class lounge and potential room to sleep in provided
Cons of Option 2
  • 33 hours: Extra travel time, in addition to minimum one extra travel day
  • Extra money on flight/hotel night(s)

Also, this is my first post...if I posted this in the wrong spot i'm sorry! I appreciate your insights!
aphro likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk awardtraveler3
Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the Qatar Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 6, 2024, 10:34 pm

Sounds like a very personal decision imo, I never redeem airline miles for long haul economy flights as the value isn't there for me. I would advise the same, unless you're mile rich. If you don't fly often and this is your first big trip in a year or two then I would go out of my way to fly in comfort, but if you fly often or have limited time off then I'm not sure if I'd justify almost an extra day and a half of travel.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 10:46 pm

Option 2. /thread
Old May 7, 2024, 2:21 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
i would definitely go for the business option. The product is fantastic and a massive step up from economy.
Old May 7, 2024, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, United Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
It's an interesting decision.

I agree with the others above, I would (personally) always try to redeem in premium cabins. But that's really a personal preference (I love flying) and also a bit the consequence of being spoiled by premium work flights!

However, my biggest constraint when going on vacation is the number of vacation days I can take. I have a very limited number of vacation days per year, and can take 2 weeks every summer, so I try to maximize that time as much as possible (flying red eyes, etc.).
I would never "waste" 3 days of holidays to do a stop-over somewhere just to fly in a better cabin. One night sure (arrive the day before in the evening, leave the next day), but not 3.

So unfortunately it isn't an easy decision and you are the best placed to make it.

One thing that might help inform your decision is looking at the hotel bookings in BKK (or elsewhere in Asia, if you plan to travel around) before finalizing the flights. A LOT of hotels have "3rd night free" or "4th night free" offers (stay 2 nights, the 3rd is free, etc.). I always try to maximize those. I would not want to shorten my vacation by one day if it makes me lose the "free" night, however if I am one night over (e.g. staying 4 nights in BKK in a hotel that has a "3rd night free" offer), then I would consider doing it.

Let us know what you end up deciding
aphro likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:42 am

I agree with a lot of the above posts' points:
  • Firstly, you should be deciding between paying cash for the economy fare or using Avios for business class. The points value on the economy fare can't be that good of a value.
  • Next, if I were not constrained by time/work, then my choice would be business class all the time, though it doesn't appear you mentioned any times... though honestly, crossing that many time zones, flying for that many hours, the times probably matter less than your ability to sleep on the flight. Which brings me to my next point...
  • Can you sleep in economy? If not, then that JFK-DOH leg will be hell. If you can, it might make it a closer call.
  • Last point- you mentioned Business/First. If you're technically flying F from DOH-BKK, I believe you will be able to access the Al Safwa Lounge in Hamad... which is an experience in and of itself. I've never been myself, but pretty much everyone has great things to say... and objectively one of the top lounges in the world.
Summary I you have the Avios and you don't mind the times and repositioning flights, you should spend those points! I made the mistake of sitting on 500k Amex MR points for years- both because I wanted to wait for the perfect redemption and because I could afford to pay for the tickets. "If I ever can't afford it, that's when I'll use the points," I would say... as devaluation after devaluation passed by. The point is that your points will never be more valuable than they are now. This same trip may cost 150k Avios next time you're thinking of using them. For some, it's a means of getting from point A to point B as fast as possible. For me (and I'm guessing most here), it's about the adventure and the experience.

Last edited by FlyLikeARegal; May 7, 2024 at 9:42 am Reason: formatting
Old May 7, 2024, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Well, input was pretty unanimous! I will figure out how to get to Miami and fly Business/first to BKK. My reward redemption was half business (j) and half first class (f), so I’ll definitely take advantage of the first class lounge! I don’t think i qualify for a free hotel because shorter flights were available (not to me, for Avios).

I don’t need to take PTO in traveling to Miami.

Adventures ahead! Thanks everyone!
aphro likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
If you upgrade hope for the best

When does the holiday begin? This is the question. My holiday begins when I board and someone hands me a glass of champagne and leads me to my bed <G>. But that's not for everyone.
I am not tall nor fat but suffer from anything < 32" seat pitch. Life for me is too short for anything less than comfort (especially since I suffered a DVT from a mechanical delay in a short pitch economy seat).
My last QR flight was DOH-SEA in Y (> 16 hrs including delay and boarding seated last row 42 or so). It was horrendous. (Especially since I paid for and had a booking confirmation for a Q Suite up front with my wife).
Book your seat depending on your own status and age. If I was in my 20's I would probably save the money but not now. Just pray you get what you paid for.
kaliimc likes this.

Last edited by Azamaraal; May 11, 2024 at 5:24 pm Reason: sppelling
Old May 12, 2024, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
My last QR flight was DOH-SEA in Y (> 16 hrs including delay and boarding seated last row 42 or so). It was horrendous. (Especially since I paid for and had a booking confirmation for a Q Suite up front with my wife).
I sense a story there. How did you pay for J and end up in Y?
Old May 15, 2024, 2:05 am

Being from Hawaii and temporarily working in Qatar I know how it is flying between locations and the jet lag can be horrible, maybe it's an age thing. So, I would look more into option 2. The flight from DOH to BKK is about 6.5 hours and pretty easy to do in economy, but the longhaul flight before that is the tough flight. Anyone would be better off in business trying to sample every alcohol and food they offer, and, enjoy a lie flat seat.

Note: I am going to BKK in June, if you are in there from the 7th - 14th lets grab a beer, or 10.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:53 am

Both options aren't great. Maybe check flying from PHL, BOS, IAD? Or fly into another Asian gateway - e.g KUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.