Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is Delta doing on international upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2024, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1.7MM United 1MM Hhonors Lifetime Diamond Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Plus

OK, my previous experience and reading the rules was always that as a Diamond Medallion I needed to use GUC's to upgrade to premium select at the time of booking or after. Then I would be on the waitlist for a 24 hour upgrade to Delta1.

Flying from ATL to FCO 2 weeks ago, the person sitting next to me got an upgrade when they were boarding to Premium Select, he was only a Platinum.... so I was disappointed I had used a GUC for the flight, not getting upgraded to Delta1. I was thinking I would have gotten the upgrade to Premium Select for free if he got it as a Plat.

Then on the return, I had basically the same thing happen, I finished number 1 on the list to Delta 1, took my premium select seat, and the guy next to me got an upgrade again. So then I am thinking coach must sold out and this was an Operational Upgrade. When I walked back to the use the restroom, I saw lots of empty seats in coach, including one person sleeping across the entire center row.

So why would a PM get an upgrade at the gate, if coach wasn't sold out? I feel like i wasted 2 GUC's on that trip. What am I missing, or not understanding?
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Had the same thing happen to me (Platinum) on an ICN-MSP flight late last year. Booked into C+ (bulkhead), 2 hours before boarding they moved me to PS for free. Flight wasn't full.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:55 pm

It has to do with the guarantee. By using the GUC you were guaranteed the upgrade. I was upgraded, as a plat, from C+ to PS on BCN to JFK a few weeks ago but you can never count on it.
MSPeconomist and wxman22 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1.7MM United 1MM Hhonors Lifetime Diamond Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Plus
Yeah, I am just trying to understand what is going on, as if a flight looks pretty full in D1 Suites, why should I risk using the GUC, if their are lots of seats in Premium Select? As it appears on these two flights, I would have been upgraded to Premium Select before a PM, as a DM. Right?

But the way the rules read, and the way it was before, I never got upgraded to Premium Select unless I used a GUC.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvrMM3
Yeah, I am just trying to understand what is going on, as if a flight looks pretty full in D1 Suites, why should I risk using the GUC, if their are lots of seats in Premium Select? As it appears on these two flights, I would have been upgraded to Premium Select before a PM, as a DM. Right?

But the way the rules read, and the way it was before, I never got upgraded to Premium Select unless I used a GUC.
In principle, using the GUC not only confirms you into PS long before the flight, but also puts you onto the list for a day-of-departure further upgrade to D1.

Alternatively, you can pick a PS (discount) fare when purchasing the ticket and use the GUC to confirm a D1 seat instantly if/when upgrade inventory is available.
Masterofpuppets likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:36 pm

Since international upgrades are not guaranteed, the fact that you’re a diamond medallion does not automatically mean that you might get ahead, upgraded ahead of platinum.

I know someone who’s platinum who often buys full fare tickets and they get upgraded a lot to PS. I expect that on the international part of it is the fact that their ticket in coach was several thousand dollars. He’s going to Europe Monday. His ticket was $3700 in coach. I hope he gets upgraded ahead of someone like me who buys the $600 round-trip discount fare 😂
Old Apr 22, 2024, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Well with the new upgrade rules for domestic flights, it's cabin booked, then your status, then your million miler status, that dictates your upgrade order. It's no longer a M fare get's the upgrade before a X fare, and your status was always before the type of fare booked regardless so a Diamond would always get upgraded before a Platinum or Gold Medallion. I can't see any logic in why a Platinum regardless of fare class and price would get the upgrade before a Diamond based on how the rest of the structure has worked in the past, nor how it's explained now.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In principle, using the GUC not only confirms you into PS long before the flight, but also puts you onto the list for a day-of-departure further upgrade to D1.

Alternatively, you can pick a PS (discount) fare when purchasing the ticket and use the GUC to confirm a D1 seat instantly if/when upgrade inventory is available.
Thanks.... I didn't think about looking exclusively for discounted PS fares, but I should be doing that. Your explanation was how I was seeing getting the upgrade to D1. Just based on Platinum flyers getting upgraded on these past two flights into PS, I feel like I used two GUCs for nothing, as I would have gotten the same upgrade without using them, just no guarantee. Basically I guess trying to refine my strategy for when I use them. Looking for the discounted PS fares is probably the only time I should use them.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well with the new upgrade rules for domestic flights, it's cabin booked, then your status, then your million miler status, that dictates your upgrade order. It's no longer a M fare get's the upgrade before a X fare, and your status was always before the type of fare booked regardless so a Diamond would always get upgraded before a Platinum or Gold Medallion. I can't see any logic in why a Platinum regardless of fare class and price would get the upgrade before a Diamond based on how the rest of the structure has worked in the past, nor how it's explained now.
What new rules? I just checked the DL website and it's still Medallion status first, then cabin class purchased (which might really mean fare class purchased), then MM status, corporate contract traveller, MQDs earned this year, and finally time of upgrade request as the final tiebreaker.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 11:20 am

Could the Plat "upgrades" to international PS you're seeing be nonrevs? That would explain the "upgrades" when there are empty seats in coach. Nonrevs can have status too.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could the Plat "upgrades" to international PS you're seeing be nonrevs? That would explain the "upgrades" when there are empty seats in coach. Nonrevs can have status too.
I don't think so on the first flight, this last flight, no the guy seated next to me works for a medical services company and was on a work trip, so I don't see how he could have been a non-rev.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’m wondering if they cleared non-revs into C+ and moved the PM from C+ to PS to clear a space for a non-rev.

While it’s easy to feel like you’ve “wasted” the upgrade, what I’ve learned using certificates is that the biggest benefit is in not having to worry about whether it will clear. Since upgrades to international PS and D1 are not a medallion benefit, and such upgrades are a bonus and not to be expected.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.