Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance (NON-United) Lounge Access on United Domestic First Ticket, No Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance (NON-United) Lounge Access on United Domestic First Ticket, No Status?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I know both UA Gold and Non-UA Star Gold can use NON-UA lounges (Such as Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge in SFO, or Star Alliance Lounge in LAX) even when flying domestically (such as SFO-LAS), but I was wondering whether a non-status pax with no status, but traveling on Domestic F UA non-transcon Ticket (e.g. SFO-IAD), would have access to non-UA Star Alliance Lounges?

Star Alliance website is very vague and only talks about United Clubs specifically. Anyone know the policy and/or have first hand experience?
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

Thank you so much!
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ethanaviation
I was wondering whether a non-status pax with no status, but traveling on Domestic F UA non-transcon Ticket (e.g. SFO-IAD), would have access to non-UA Star Alliance Lounges? [/b]
Depends on the lounge operating carrier's access rules. You might give MLL a try at SFO and let us know if it works.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Depends on the lounge operating carrier's access rules. You might give MLL a try at SFO and let us know if it works.
Will def report back. It's such a niche case cause most of the experienced flyers on here have Star status anyways if they were flying UA and wouldn't run into this dilemma
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Many moon ago there were reports that LH at IAD allowed Domestic F, but as the *A site states this is a lounge decision and could change

Domestic First Class Customers

Some member airlines offer lounge access at the airport where your flight departs, if you are travelling in Domestic First Class. Restrictions apply for Domestic First Class passengers travelling with United Airlines in the United States, where Domestic First Class customers do not have access to United’s Club lounges.

You will need to show your boarding pass in Domestic First Class for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight. You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.
ethanaviation likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 23, 2024 at 11:53 pm
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:55 pm

Hello, I know both UA Gold and Non-UA Star Gold can use NON-UA lounges (Such as Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge in SFO, or Star Alliance Lounge in LAX) even when flying domestically (such as SFO-LAS), but I was wondering whether a non-status pax with no status, but traveling on Domestic F UA non-transcon Ticket (e.g. SFO-IAD), would have access to non-UA Star Alliance Lounges?

Star Alliance website is very vague and only talks about United Clubs specifically. Anyone know the policy and/or have first hand experience?
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

Thank you so much!
I sponsored upgrades for family with no status on a domestic UA flight, and they were admitted to the AC MLL at LGA.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meijiem
I sponsored upgrades for family with no status on a domestic UA flight, and they were admitted to the AC MLL at LGA.
meijiem That's awesome! Do you know if they had to cite any specific policies, or did the boarding pass just scan in successfully?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meijiem
Also, I wonder if it worked because of your sponsor, or because of their upgrade. Are you a United Gold/Plat/1K? Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:53 am

meijiem That's awesome! Do you know if they had to cite any specific policies, or did the boarding pass just scan in successfully?
No, they only had to scan the boarding passes. I did not share status with them.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Can we safely assume AC MLL policies at LGA are the same at SFO AC MLL? Anyone have firsthand experience regarding this? Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Interesting...because of employer rules I'm on UAL out of DTW, booked in Economy, but it's a very reasonable buy up offer to First -- had been thinking I'd at least buy up to Econ + but the price to go all the way to First isn't much more and if it includes access to the Lufthansa lounge as well, that's a steal.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: hahaha
Can we safely assume AC MLL policies at LGA are the same at SFO AC MLL? Anyone have firsthand experience regarding this? Thanks!
I think it’s a fair assumption that the barcode scanner would give blanket allow/deny based on the rules it’s coded. If you need human intervention at the MLL (for example, AC flyers need it to use their one-time guest pass), then it’s subject to select enforcement of ambiguous rules.

I heard lately that SFO MLL is not being compliant on the rules when a human is involved (after you fail the e-gate scan), especially with allowing United Club members to enter.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by asovse1
I heard lately that SFO MLL is not being compliant on the rules when a human is involved (after you fail the e-gate scan), especially with allowing United Club members to enter.
The gate scanners have been down intermittently. I have had no issues as UA *G flying UA.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
Interesting...because of employer rules I'm on UAL out of DTW, booked in Economy, but it's a very reasonable buy up offer to First -- had been thinking I'd at least buy up to Econ + but the price to go all the way to First isn't much more and if it includes access to the Lufthansa lounge as well, that's a steal.
The LH lounge at DTW has, at least as of the last time I was there a few months ago, an official policy that they allow domestic F to enter. There’s been a sign out front listing allowed access as UA Gold/Plat/1K/GS and First class and I’ve entered flying domestic F in the past.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by barren
The LH lounge at DTW has, at least as of the last time I was there a few months ago, an official policy that they allow domestic F to enter. There’s been a sign out front listing allowed access as UA Gold/Plat/1K/GS and First class and I’ve entered flying domestic F in the past.
LH's hours at DTW are pretty limited, so their exposure to UA flyers is not as bad as it could be. And, yes, they do let "privileged" UA pax in (departing flights only).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.