Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Question

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2024, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Avios Question

Hello all,

I have booked Avios redemption flight on BA website.

The complete itinerary is with Qatar airlines and is on Economy class from AMD to DFW
I am confused on baggage allowance for this itinerary.

I am seeing 2 pieces of baggage with 32kg each on the ticket shared by Qatar airlines and also on Qatar website.
When I called CS I am hearing different answers.
One CS said, for the economy class, it is 2 pieces with 23kg each only. What I am seeing on the website is wrong and also the baggage mentioned on the ticket is also wrong.
Another CS looked at the ticket and said, it is 2 pieces with 32kg each.
Another CS said, they will follow BA baggage allowance because it is booked from BA website (but don't know what the allowance is).
Another CS said, they have no idea until the passenger reach the check-in counter and then the system shows baggage allowance. If the system says 23kg, it is 23kg only. If the system says 32kg, it is 32kg.

Can someone chime in the baggage allowance if they have an idea.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You've copy and pasted another user's post with a small change of departure/arrival airport, but assuming the details you've posted are correct, the answer is 2x 23kg bags.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c1223
You've copy and pasted another user's post with a small change of departure/arrival airport, but assuming the details you've posted are correct, the answer is 2x 23kg bags.
Ohk, do you know any thread that says that or like someone who has experienced the same which is showing 32 kgs in app and website, but 23 kg at check in counter? Has someone experienced that? Sorry for asking so much!
Old May 5, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Okie0777
Ohk, do you know any thread that says that or like someone who has experienced the same which is showing 32 kgs in app and website, but 23 kg at check in counter? Has someone experienced that? Sorry for asking so much!
I do not know the answer to that question, but because this is a ticket for travel to, from, or within the U.S., if you check bags weighing between 23 and 32 kg. and are charged for the extra weight, there's a possibility that a complaint to the U.S. DOT would get those charges refunded, since carriers on such itineraries are supposed to honor the baggage allowance which appears on the ticket. But there are no guarantees. If you can possibly make the trip without exceeding 23 kg. per bag, you might save yourself some aggravation.
BA or bust likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 3:29 pm

I have a question concerning Avios, that's why i didn't open a new thread. If someone could answer i'd be obliged..

I've recently started flying with IB. I had a flight booked by my office thru an agency on the ATH-MAD route which was sold as..Vueling but with IB code..Anyway during check-in i typed my BA executive club card..2 weeks after the trip and the avios were still not credited to my BA account. I filed an online claim thru BA 3 weeks ago and i am still waiting...Does anybody know from experience how long IB avios take to get credited to BA exec account? I worry because i have two more trips coming up in June with IB and so far i have avoided collecting Avios on Iberia Plus separately and then trying to transfer them to BA, since i naively(?) thought i can just use directly my BA card during check-in and done..And is the situation the same with other Oneworld carriers, e.g. Finnair?
Is it because i booked the flights directly on Iberia instead of BA, but then the BA site does not give you a seatmap and i wanted to pre-select seats for my A359 MAD-LHR flight...What am i doing wrong?
Old May 10, 2024, 4:18 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Originally Posted by mario12
I have a question concerning Avios, that's why i didn't open a new thread. If someone could answer i'd be obliged..

I've recently started flying with IB. I had a flight booked by my office thru an agency on the ATH-MAD route which was sold as..Vueling but with IB code..Anyway during check-in i typed my BA executive club card..2 weeks after the trip and the avios were still not credited to my BA account. I filed an online claim thru BA 3 weeks ago and i am still waiting...Does anybody know from experience how long IB avios take to get credited to BA exec account? I worry because i have two more trips coming up in June with IB and so far i have avoided collecting Avios on Iberia Plus separately and then trying to transfer them to BA, since i naively(?) thought i can just use directly my BA card during check-in and done..And is the situation the same with other Oneworld carriers, e.g. Finnair?
Is it because i booked the flights directly on Iberia instead of BA, but then the BA site does not give you a seatmap and i wanted to pre-select seats for my A359 MAD-LHR flight...What am i doing wrong?
Vueling doesn't fly ATH-MAD direct, did you fly Vueling ATH-BCN and then BCN-MAD, both on IB codeshares? My understanding is Vueling flights only credit to BA if sold as a BA codeshare, not even with an IB flight number, but I stand to be corrected here. (Vueling flights – IB codeshared or otherwise – do earn Avios and elite points with IB+.)

The IB flights on IB metal should credit to BA just fine as long as your IB+ number (if you have one) is never on the booking (don't know how 'sticky' IB+ numbers are with IB bookings, but I wouldn't want to mess about with that). Seat selection on IB flights needs to be done through IB (or, occasionally when IB's MMB fails, through selected other OW carriers' MMB), if you have the prerequisite status or class of travel.

Last edited by chacor; May 10, 2024 at 4:27 pm
Old May 10, 2024, 4:49 pm

I know Vueling doesn't fly to MAD from ATH. It was an IB flight but the agency has booked it as VY codeshare..It was the IB3151 ATH-MAD as my boarding pass says with my BA exec number on it, but the booking agency has sold it as VY 5175 operated which must be the Vueling codeshare..I assume (and hope) since my boarding pass is Iberia oneworld i will eventually get the Avios..I think if it takes too long i will have to call BA Avios department and see if they can sort it out
So far my other two Iberia bookings have my BA exec number where it says Loyalty Card
Old May 10, 2024, 5:00 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Ok – that much wasn't clear from the way you phrased it originally ("sold as Vueling but with IB code" sounds like an IB-coded flight to me, rather than a VY-coded one in this case). I think you're out of luck:
Whether you collect Avios and Tier Points depends on the airline flight number on your ticket:
  • If your flight code is British Airways, you’ll collect Avios and Tier Points no matter who operates the flight.
  • If your flight code is for a oneworld airline, you’ll collect Avios only if your flight is also operated by a oneworld airline.
  • For other flight codes, you won’t collect Avios.
A VY flight code shouldn't get you anything. (Or, for that matter, a VY-operated IB-coded flight.)

Last edited by chacor; May 10, 2024 at 5:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.