Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Return Journey treated as three-leg booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi

First time flying Delta. Booked UK to EZE return.

When I booked this (via SkyScanner) on Delta's own site my routing was UK-CDG-JFK-EZE-JFK-AMS-UK.

However, when I log into Delta's system the outbound is listed as one "flight" being UK-CDG-JFK-EZE (no issue) but then the return is listed as EZE-JFK as one flight with another "flight" (to use Delta's terminology) being JFK-AMS-UK.

So my question is will Delta treat this as being a three leg booking? If so, can I check my bags through on the inbound leg as EZE-JFK-AMS-UK since they seem to be treating it as two seperate flights. Also is my connection at JFK protected on my EZE-JFK-AMS? Sorry if this is obvious, never had this before.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How long is the transfer in JFK?

The general answer is yes, if you are on one ticket it is protected. Checking bags through depends on the length of the break in travel in JFK (regardless of the faring), but also note that you will have to claim and recheck your bags in JFK both directions anyway, in order to pass US customs.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This happens all the time, sometimes on UA I get itineraries that are supposedly circle trips with a 367 hour layover and stuff like that. As long as this is all on the same ticket, don’t worry about how the reservation parses out the segments.
PLeblond likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:30 pm

I had one trip recently that kept going back and forth between round trip and multi-city when schedule change Saturday tipped the scales for the layover. No issues at all with the trip, but did make for a confusing My Trips entry.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zeke3
I had one trip recently that kept going back and forth between round trip and multi-city when schedule change Saturday tipped the scales for the layover. No issues at all with the trip, but did make for a confusing My Trips entry.
This doesn't apply to the OP's itinerary, but if a multicity international ticket is booked with only domestic flights on one leg, this could mean no SC use for those flights.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:51 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This doesn't apply to the OP's itinerary, but if a multicity international ticket is booked with only domestic flights on one leg, this could mean no SC use for those flights.
It shouldn’t. Rule is for same day international flight. You might have to talk to a human, but it’s allowable.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be protected and luggage will check through due to single ticket. As noted above, you will still have to claim and recheck bags at JFK (as with many US airports, it does not have international-to-international, aka ITI, luggage checking) . Despite appearances of displayed itin, it is likely just a simple roundtrip with one fare in each direction of travel. If you have your email receipt from delta.com, you can verify with the "Fare Details:" line in the email which lists each fare purchased. If you don't have original email receipt, you can go online and have website send you another one and the "Fare Details:" line will also be in that copy. Fare basis codes are 8 characters long and indicate fares purchased. In example below (DTW-CLT roundtrip), the outbound fare is a TAWQA0MQ fare and the return is a XAWQH3ML fare (with connection in ATL). The second to last character in fare basis code indicates cabin of service (for Main Cabin fares, the first letter is the booking class) -- https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...structure.html

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 25, 2024 at 9:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.