Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA158 BDA -LHR evacuated at BDA due to threat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

Airlive.net reporting that BA158 BDA-LHR was evacuated last night due to a bomb threat being received

The flight is now cancelled as the crew are out of time

https://airlive.net/emergency/2024/0...iSqLYz04&amp=1
Old May 6, 2024, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The aircraft did return to stand and will leave later today.
SxMan and JakeHendy like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
BA158 from Bermuda on May 5th evacuated before take off due to bomb threat
https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/06/bomb-...-off-20781157/

Edit: ah sorry didn't see the existing thread

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; May 6, 2024 at 9:03 am
Old May 6, 2024, 11:28 am

Worth listening to! No comment on Bermuda’s sense of emergency or organisation but the flight crew were clearly frustrated, especially after 40 minutes of following instructions and passengers still on board!

DelTroon, Markie, IAMORGAN and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Door5L; May 6, 2024 at 11:35 am
Old May 6, 2024, 12:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Crikey.

Accepting that BDA were in some turmoil, it's just as well it seems it wasn't an incendiary device. Which poses the question as what all this delay was adding. If there is a bomb, it's best to get out of an enclosed space ASAP.
HarbourGent, chucko and Mater like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
That is absolutely shocking.

aks120
Markie likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:30 pm

I cannot be anything other than amazed at the patience of the Capt.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:30 pm

Crikey x 2. That was very frustrating to listen to. I felt for the lady in the tower, she also sounded frustrated. It felt like there was no plan, no urgency.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
[Some time later]

It seems to me that the ground response was waiting for the bomb to go off, then they would doubtless rush over to help the casualties. Operating the slides would almost certainly lead to injuries so what actually happened was that everyone presumably left the aircraft safely including the two wheelchair passengers, so that counts as an undeniable win. But had the passengers known anything about this I suspect the tape would be 40 minutes shorter.
cmd320, IAMORGAN and mnhusker like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Crikey x 2. That was very frustrating to listen to. I felt for the lady in the tower, she also sounded frustrated. It felt like there was no plan, no urgency.
I totally agree....
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t quite understand why the captain waited so long.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:31 pm

My guess is everyone expected it was probably a hoax and were treating it as an annoyance instead of a real threat, especially with them also getting the bomb threat for the terminal at the same time and then the attention got diverted to evacuating the terminal first and then the aircraft as a secondary priority.

When the Captain declared MAYDAY what was he saying there, is that to get all the emergency services to come over?
Old May 6, 2024, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I don’t quite understand why the captain waited so long.
Due to the intelligence available via the Security Duty Manager, hence the RT call requesting a repeat due to the Capt being on the other comms (satcom most likely to London). There does however come a point where enough is enough at it seems that point was rapidly being reached. I won’t comment further but there is more information available than what ATC initially passed.
Old May 6, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
This is shocking and I feel for both Pilots and I assume the senior crew member would have been privy but also the female ATC controller. This is a worrying display that I would hope get a thorough investigation. There seems a complete lack of emergency planning. IF the procedure is to wait for any form of detonation then that is more shocking, as you’re basically a sitting duck onboard. How terrifying.

I assume MAYDAY means release the slides and abandon the aircraft??
Old May 6, 2024, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Yikes. The captain had the patience of Job, but it does seem like the (lack of) emergency response was rather cack-handed.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.