Search

High YUL<>YYZ Fares

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 9:03 am
RZR
Original Poster

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
High YUL<>YYZ Fares

Hi all, I haven't done one of these returns in ages , turns out I need to be in YYZ in 10 days.
Searched for flights and nothing under a grand return.
Was a bit surprised , seems nuts.
Just wondering if that's kind of what it is now for this hour flight.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by RZR
Hi all, I haven't done one of these returns in ages , turns out I need to be in YYZ in 10 days.
Searched for flights and nothing under a grand return.
Was a bit surprised , seems nuts.
Just wondering if that's kind of what it is now for this hour flight.
Looks like the current fares all require 14 or 21 day advance to not get totally fleeced.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
VIA is nice this time of year and they feed you......just an FYI

for that 1K it's still only 500SQM round trip. Just had a 20% off sale that ended May 5th. Wait a day there will be another as AC needs more revenue.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
nothing under a grand return
- You could buy a 10-credit flight pass for just over twice that, but you mentioned you don't fly this route often.

- I'm seeing Signature on the 16th as low as 19,000 points, if you've got them to burn.

- Transat's available on the night of 15 for $168.

But yeah, AC/WS/PD pretty much knows anyone booking this route, this close to departure, is probably a reasonably captive market.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:56 am

I would definitely choose VIA, especially if you are going downtown to downtown. Or even anywhere vaguely close to those spots.
kalderlake and Vaclav like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 9:58 am

Programs: AC 75K, MB Amb
Have you also looked into YTZ, if the island airport works for you.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Whats very interesting is AC would attribute the YYZ-YUL/YUL-YYZ leg for YYZ-YUL-??? for just a few dollars. Clearly they seem to have a problem filling the international and TCON/Sun destination seats from YUL.
On my afternoon/weekend YUL-YYZ legs... its hardly ever full, with like 65-70% load factor for all three times I have taken it.. (only exception is the business heavy 8/9/10 AM flights between MON-FRI)

Yet every carrier seems to have ramped up their flight prices on YYZ-YUL.... not sure why
Old May 6, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
It's the same out west. YVR-YEG/YYC is rarely under a grand return with short notice. The difference is unlike YYZ-YUL, it's not remotely practical to drive or take the train from YVR-YEG/YYC. AC is definitely using their position to push extreme fares on these routes with little to no competition (especially after the deal with WS where they decided not to compete with eachother in western/eastern Canada). YVR-YYJ is also brutal, often $500+ for a 12 minute flight.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
It's the same out west. YVR-YEG/YYC is rarely under a grand return with short notice. The difference is unlike YYZ-YUL, it's not remotely practical to drive or take the train from YVR-YEG/YYC. AC is definitely using their position to push extreme fares on these routes with little to no competition (especially after the deal with WS where they decided not to compete with eachother in western/eastern Canada). YVR-YYJ is also brutal, often $500+ for a 12 minute flight.
Agree that YYJ flights are stupid expensive. Oddly, so are YKA flights. Both always full and always expensive, and yet they keep decreasing service!

That said, YUL and YYZ aren't YYJ and YKA (that's a lot of Y's.). There is competition from the train or even a car, so I'm surprised at the price in this case.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Agree that YYJ flights are stupid expensive. Oddly, so are YKA flights. Both always full and always expensive, and yet they keep decreasing service!

That said, YUL and YYZ aren't YYJ and YKA (that's a lot of Y's.). There is competition from the train or even a car, so I'm surprised at the price in this case.
At 4 hours, I think you could argue that YYZ-YOW is competitive for car, at 6.5 hours... not sure its still that competitive.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
At 4 hours, I think you could argue that YYZ-YOW is competitive for car, at 6.5 hours... not sure its still that competitive.
I live an hour south of Montreal and can still drive to Toronto in 6-7 hours. Add airport hassles at both ends and commuting to downtown and it is similar - and cheaper.
Old May 6, 2024, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Porter is usually a bit less extortionate but under 14/21 days is eyewatering on this route.

Points, Via or driving may be better alternatives.
Old May 6, 2024, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
Porter is usually a bit less extortionate but under 14/21 days is eyewatering on this route.

Points, Via or driving may be better alternatives.
Looks like everyone is protecting their cash cow. You don't need to collude if you can all "independently" converge on a framework for maximum cash extraction.
Old May 6, 2024, 5:09 pm

Is there a reason flair us not in on this route? Seems like semi arbitrage if they can sub 250-300 r/t
Old May 6, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I live an hour south of Montreal and can still drive to Toronto in 6-7 hours. Add airport hassles at both ends and commuting to downtown and it is similar - and cheaper.

Plattsburg New York is where I flew out of when using points and living in East Ottawa (French Orleans)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.