Wiki Posts
Search

Convince me to fly the 744

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Convince me to fly the 744

I have two options, both in Business from Canada to FRA. The first, and around 100 euros cheaper, is on EW Discover from Calgary. The other one is out of YVR on the 744.

I've been on a 747 a little over a decade ago, in Economy. This may well be my last chance to fly it. Upper deck is half-full. I prefer window seats, so in both LH and 4Y there will be the aisle access issue, although it looks like they send the former Swiss 333's to Calgary once in a while. I will also be TIRED: I'll have just come back from Asia (AC in J, but still), sleep (maybe?), rush to office to do a few things in the morning that require my physical presence, and then rush to the airport again.

Seat 4D is still available, as are 1A and 1K. Can you really see kinda forward out of those?

Catering, if it's anything like what I've had on LH intra-Europe, is not a consideration. Plus, I'll probably be passed out for most of the flight.

I also would like to be able to use some of my MasterCard boingo credits. I think I can do that on LH, but not sure about Y4 but according to the website, there is wifi only on a handful of their Y4 A330s.

Any advise would be appreciated!
Old May 6, 2024, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I've been on a 747 a little over a decade ago, in Economy. This may well be my last chance to fly it.
I think you’ve convinced yourself. Lufthansa will keep the 747-8 for several years to come, but the 747-400 is as rare as hen’s teeth and only getting rarer.

In 20 years’ time, you’ll look back at flying either an A330 or a 747 across the Atlantic. The only one you’ll regret *not* taking is the 747.

As for the catering - it’s much better than you’ll find in intra-European J. I’d personally avoid the beef filet with pepper sauce, but everything else is half-decent.
airoli, ty97 and Twnixs350 like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
747. You'll see her waiting for you at the gate. And you'll know you've made the right choice.
BA850, jonkx, curt and 5 others like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.