Wiki Posts
Search

BA Middle East Options

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
BA Middle East Options

Hi all - looking for the collective wisdom of our esteemed members.

Having recently got a GUF2 back (had to cancel South Africa trip) while acquiring another one tomorrow (hitting 2500 TPs for this year), I'm going to be sitting on two (one needing to be applied by July). I already have plans for one of them - to hit a SE Asia tour at some point in the next 12 months, but I am also really interested in the Middle East.

Does anyone have any good suggestions in terms of BA's operations to ME? For context, I am based in Mexico, so any use of GUF would be applied to a MEX-LHR-(destination) return trip, either cash or Avios. Would be travelling with my wife. We crave cultural experiences more than anything else - museums, historic sites, dining in markets.

I see a few options, but I also wanted recommendations on what people think is worth seeing.

In terms of underlying cash fares (i.e. paying WTP), it seems that anywhere is going to be 2.5k-3.5k USD per person for the underlying ticket in WTP, although Turkey could be a good gateway with a much more reasonable 1.4k USD before applying the GUF (and tax uplift). I'd think I could find Club fares at 3-4k, so not sure cash ticket a good use of the GUF2.

So, I'm guessing Avios plus GUF2 is the best strategy here as can be priced at RFS rates. We've got plenty in the bank there, so fairly flex.

Which routes does BA operate Club World on now? I understand that AMM (our number 1 choice) uses a narrow body, but I assume that BA operates to BAH, AUD, KWI, JED, RUH, DXB and DOH in CW? While F would be nice, don't feel the increased money and avios (at new rates) make it really worth the extra. Not big drinkers and happy with lie flat. I always sleep the whole way from MEX-LHR and sleep is what I value most on flights.

Jordan (to see Petra especially) is definitely our number 1 choice, but have heard great things about Oman and Jeddah, Saudi, (I've been to Riyadh before and that wasn't that thrilling). Would also be open to positioning to ME, e.g. UAE, and then moving around a bit. Apparently Uzbekistan (a bit further out) is well worth a visit now it's accepting tourists.

Any recommendations?

The knowledge on this board is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TTmex; May 6, 2024 at 3:30 pm Reason: added DXB to list
Old May 6, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I'd personally position to Oman purely based on their hospitality and friendliness, however failing that, as you've already mentioned, Jordan would be a great choice as well.

How much of a factor is the flight given you've mentioned that AMM is a narrow body? Also the only one on your list that BA don't operate to is JED.
TTmex likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GOLD, AS,AA,HILTON,IHG
Samarkand worth it IF you're passing by but as a destination, debatable.
Much experience in all the 'Stans'. Not much there culturally compared to ME but if you are into trekking, etc. then worthwhile.
Oman - the least spoiled ME country - excellent for culture and scenic wonders.
Petra is a zoo now but if you're amongst the first in then it is worth it. Jerash (50km north of Amman) is a definite. Don't do it
on your own - hire a good guide and driver. Wadi Rum of course - summer is a must for the Full Monty! It can be done on the cheap or 5*.
TTmex likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c1223
I'd personally position to Oman purely based on their hospitality and friendliness, however failing that, as you've already mentioned, Jordan would be a great choice as well.

How much of a factor is the flight given you've mentioned that AMM is a narrow body? Also the only one on your list that BA don't operate to is JED.
Thanks. I've heard the same about Oman, for sure.

I'm not against positioning AMM on a narrow body, but if we're going to spend such a chunk of Avios, I'd rather it was in a lie-flat (true CW) bed - especially as we'll be coming all the way over the Atlantic first. We could definitely make the trip at least 3 weeks long (perhaps squeeze out another week if necessary) and we've got enough Marriott points for 10-20 nights depending on hotel category, but we're open on that front as have already bagged Titanium this year and don't need the elite nights.

In that regard, we're flexible in terms of location. I suppose DOH and DXB will have the greatest frequency of flights and options? i.e. easier to connect on to something in the afternoon and evening, thus avoiding an overnight in LHR. But we can easily overnight if needed.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Another option I see as viable could be MEX-LHR on a GUF2 - 180000 plus 900 quid for us to fly in CW there and back, followed by LHR-KWI in First (only 42500) each way off-peak. Does anyone know which other routes BA operates F on in that region?
Old May 6, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Well, DOH would be a good connecting point as BA availability to Doha can be quite good. Then from there Qatar Airways flies pretty much everywhere.
Old May 6, 2024, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Does it have to be BA or would you consider RJ LHR-AMM?
Does a guf work on that?
Old May 6, 2024, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by TTmex
Another option I see as viable could be MEX-LHR on a GUF2 - 180000 plus 900 quid for us to fly in CW there and back, followed by LHR-KWI in First (only 42500) each way off-peak. Does anyone know which other routes BA operates F on in that region?
F:

- Dubai
- Bahrain
- Doha
- Kuwait
- Abu Dhabi
- Riyadh
TTmex likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Pigeon49
Samarkand worth it IF you're passing by but as a destination, debatable.
Much experience in all the 'Stans'. Not much there culturally compared to ME but if you are into trekking, etc. then worthwhile.
Oman - the least spoiled ME country - excellent for culture and scenic wonders.
Petra is a zoo now but if you're amongst the first in then it is worth it. Jerash (50km north of Amman) is a definite. Don't do it
on your own - hire a good guide and driver. Wadi Rum of course - summer is a must for the Full Monty! It can be done on the cheap or 5*.
Agree with you other than good guide and driver. I personally don’t like the constraints of using guides etc and I rented a car and toured Jordan taking in the Dead Sea, Jerash, Amman, Madaba, Petra and Aqaba. Picked up a local SIM card and used Waze allowing me to drive in Amman like a local. Fabulous trip.

As for the OP I’d suggest Saudi Arabia. Just opening to tourism and probably a good time to see it before the influencers arrive. The Azir province especially
DaveS and TTmex like this.
Old May 7, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
I would agree with binman above. Driving in Jordan is not a problem - I have done it many times. Just watch out for speed cameras which there are plenty of. Flights to other ME countries from Amman can be expensive though, so it is not so good as part of an itinerary. It is still a fantastic place to visit by itself.
TTmex likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really enjoyed Uzbekistan but I suspect the population would be rather miffed to be included in the Middle East.

Agree with the others, Oman and Jordan are the top picks and perfectly do-able solo. Saudi Arabia…my judgement is clouded by spending much of 2001 there but wouldn’t be my pick.

Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and the UAE are highly missable based on your interests.

Turkey isn’t really the ME but is an amazing destination in its own right. Lebanon was but sadly life is too tricky there right now.
Old May 7, 2024, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I really enjoyed Uzbekistan but I suspect the population would be rather miffed to be included in the Middle East.

Agree with the others, Oman and Jordan are the top picks and perfectly do-able solo. Saudi Arabia…my judgement is clouded by spending much of 2001 there but wouldn’t be my pick.

Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and the UAE are highly missable based on your interests.

Turkey isn’t really the ME but is an amazing destination in its own right. Lebanon was but sadly life is too tricky there right now.
Sorry. Never meant to suggest they were, hence commented about Turkey being a cheapish way into the area and the other as "a bit further out". Should have been clearer in my wording.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Another option could be Armenia (Yerevan) or Azerbaijan (Baku) which are both easily accessible via DXB (even if it is going back on yourself a little). BTW I don;t tink you can travel betrwen the two (Armenia and Azer) as they don't enjoy the best diplomatic relations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.