Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is FC service in EWR-ANC just like any other 1500+ mile domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2024, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

I'm kind of surprised how few trip reports there are for this seemingly popular route (and by that I mean I found 0 of them here). Just wanted to confirm that it is correct to expect nothing more than a traditional medium-haul-domestic level of service on this 8-hour, 3500-mile flight.

And if anyone has better searching skills than me, I'd be grateful to read anyone else's experience with this flight.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Yes, standard domestic first meal service.

I flew IAH-ANC a couple of years ago up front via complementary upgrade in a Max (same as the equipment for EWR-ANC) - not exactly comfortable by end of the 7 hr flight.

Originally Posted by markraby
I'm kind of surprised how few trip reports there are for this seemingly popular route (and by that I mean I found 0 of them here). Just wanted to confirm that it is correct to expect nothing more than a traditional medium-haul-domestic level of service on this 8-hour, 3500-mile flight.

And if anyone has better searching skills than me, I'd be grateful to read anyone else's experience with this flight.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
..."seemingly popular route"...
Seasonal, and only one a day during season is popular????

5 a day to Honolulu from SFO might be popular. Or nine a day between SFO and EWR.

Nothing special. Might be a snack basket after the one meal.

OT - I wonder if the pilots or FAs avoid this route if they can.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 8, 2024 at 10:28 pm
Old May 8, 2024, 10:24 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Cheers.
I have not flown EWR-ANC but I have done ORD-ANC and DEN-ANC and it was just another domestic flight. But you will be glad for the extra room because these are long flights.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This summer the route is operated by 737 Max 8 and I would not expect significant service difference from BOS-SEA/LAX/SFO

Years ago, UA did operate a lie-flat 752 but just normal domestic service.

What were you hoping would be different?
Old May 8, 2024, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
how few trip reports
This isn't really a "trip report" forum. That's more the bloggers' territory. But I'd imagine most EWR-ANC trip reports would be along the lines of, "it was about three hours too long, the food wasn't very good, and there wasn't enough of it."
nexus7556, wpcoe, halls120 and 7 others like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Got the information I was looking for. I'm a very casual traveler so I guess I was wondering what the FAs do for the 5+ hours after their service is complete (or does the service happen later in the flight, etc) but sounds like the answer is nothing lol
Old May 9, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I guess I was wondering what the FAs do for the 5+ hours after their service is complete (or does the service happen later in the flight, etc) but sounds like the answer is nothing lol
Yeah, sorry to repeat, but just like any other domestic UA flight! Although it's possible you'll get a diligent FA in the front cabin who keeps beverages constantly refreshed.
markraby likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Not to be contrary, but I found the view from ANC to ORD some of the most breathtaking I've ever seen. Definitely worth a window seat IMO, assuming, of course, you're on a day flight.
Old May 9, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by as219
Not to be contrary, but I found the view from ANC to ORD some of the most breathtaking I've ever seen. Definitely worth a window seat IMO, assuming, of course, you're on a day flight.
or a night flight….solar flairs are making for frequent and spectacular northern lights
jasonp622 and as219 like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Don't think there are any day time nonstop passenger flights from ANC to ORD; although departing out of ANC early enough in the summer, there may still be day light given the late sunset time.

Nice views sitting on opposite side of the plane inbound and outbound. I have lots of photos in case anyone is interested. Flew ORD to SEA via ANC on loop for a few turns on AS. ORD to ANC and ANC to SEA were all day time flights.
as219 and purdue1015 like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
OT - I wonder if the pilots or FAs avoid this route if they can.
I do, but only because I avoid all redeyes. There is a daytime ANC-SFO flight but I've never done it. I like the ANC layover, though. Just don't want to do the redye back.
Old May 9, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I’m on the September flight from ORD-ANC that leave at 3pm. I have 2E so I can be kind to my bladder.I don’t want to be climbing over my seat mate for 6 hours on a window seat.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LarryJ
I do, but only because I avoid all redeyes. There is a daytime ANC-SFO flight but I've never done it. I like the ANC layover, though. Just don't want to do the redye back.
I would be shocked to find crew anchored in ANC.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:11 am

Yes, though nothing specific to the UA operated flight there. The view is the same on any airline, any aircraft. It's also quite spectacular from SFO/SEA, sitting on the right side of the aircraft.
Repooc17 and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.