Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Christchurch Earthquake 6.3 magnitude 22 FEB 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christchurch Earthquake 6.3 magnitude 22 FEB 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Post Christchurch Earthquake 6.3 magnitude 22 FEB 2011

Air New Zealand wishes to advise that Christchurch Airport is currently closed due to a 6.3 magnitude earthquake which struck this afternoon local time.

Once Christchurch Airport advises that the airport has reopened and flights can resume into and out of Christchurch we understand that some ticketed passengers’ reason and need to travel may change. Accordingly the following flexibility will be permitted on all fare types for passengers ticketed prior to the Tuesday 22nd February for travel to/from Christchurch up to and including Friday 25th March. This information relates specifically to tickets issued on Air New Zealand 086 ticket stock and covers both domestic and international travel.

Options are as follows:

· Passengers ticketed for travel to and from Christchurch prior to and including Friday 25th March may defer their travel to a later Air New Zealand flight in the same booking class inside 12-months of the original date of travel without penalty. If only higher booking classes are available, the fare differential will apply. If the proposed date of travel is unknown, then the value of the ticket may be held in credit for payment towards travel within the same 12-month validity.

· Passengers ticketed to travel to Christchurch prior to and including Friday 25th March may change their travel to another Air New Zealand destination without penalty. In this instance any applicable fare differential will apply.

· Passengers who are ticketed and wish to bring their travel to/from Christchurch forward to a date on/prior to Friday 11th March may do so in the same cabin (regardless of booking class) without penalty and fare difference. If a cabin upgrade is required the fare differential will apply.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL SCENARIOS:

· Please endorse any changes “Invol reroute due CHC earthquake”

· Any incidental costs and penalties such as accommodation etc will be the passengers own responsibility.

· Normal refund policy/procedures apply, i.e. non-refundable tickets remain non-refundable.

· Passengers should be referred to their travel insurance policy to see if they are covered for any incremental costs.

· Normal terms and conditions apply to tickets purchased on and after Tuesday the 22nd February

Air New Zealand will continue to monitor the situation in Christchurch and advise of any changes should the need arise.
My thoughts are with those with friends, family and other associates in the Canterbury region.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
Air New Zealand - Christchurch Quake Support

Air New Zealand - Christchurch Quake Support on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Air-Ne...80502865326580
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Posted just a minute ago:

Christchurch Airport is hoping to open at 8am wed for DOMESTIC FLIGHTS ONLY. Check with your airline before coming out to airport.
http://www.christchurchairport.co.nz/
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please, Kiwiflyer and others. give us updates. Hope you and your families are safe. All best wishes. Remember, we always have an extra bed in Los Angeles.
O2K
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
More travel updates.

Due to major earthquake in Christchurch, CHC airport is closed until further notice. Not expected to reopen before 7pm tonight (22FEB11).

Due to disruption to air traffic control systems and aircraft stuck on the ground in Christchurch and otherwise out of place, there are disruptions elsewhere as well.

Air NZ rebooking notice

Jetstar has cancelled flights at all centres for the remainder of the day. Jetstar notice.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Please, Kiwiflyer and others. give us updates. Hope you and your families are safe. All best wishes. Remember, we always have an extra bed in Los Angeles.
O2K
Sounds as if you're interested in the general updates rather than just airline movements. The news is really awful with 65 dead and expected to rise significantly. These sites will keep you up to date if you're interested.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/?src=aw

http://tvnz.co.nz/

I'm one of the lucky ones - I'm in Auckland.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Was at AKL airport when the quake hit (dropping off someone for a US trip). By 1:30 many of the JQ and NZ desk staff in international were getting reassigned to domestic with the business class check-in taking up the slack. Then we saw the TV in departures upstairs. Many of the people watching the TV were on an Antarctic changeover and had left CHC in the morning to transfer to QF25....they were in shock and hoping that their colleagues were OK...heart-breaking stuff....
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
There have been flight disruptions in the WLG region due to ATC based in CHC. This has been resolved now.
Air 2 There and Sounds Air have put on additional flights to Blenheim and Picton.
Note if trying to travel to CHC for family reasons that Kiwi Rail has stopped trains to CHC, pending track inspections and rental car companies have halted car rentals in the south island.
Ferry crossings continuing, I think that some emergency vechicles will be using to transfer.
Travel to CHC is obviously not advised.

All hotel rooms in WLG are booked out.

My thoughts and prayers to those in CHC.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: NZ Koru
From @grabaseat

Air NZ offering $50 seats on any flight to or from CHC till Fri morn. Book at AirNZ website or contact centre. Extra 747 to op akl-chc 2mrw.
From @flynz
Times for the special flights are as follows: Depart AKL 10:30, arrive ChCh 11:50 Depart ChCH 13:20, arrive AKL 14:50
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: QF Gold
All fares on Wednesday and Thursday between Auckland and Christchurch are $48 each way, (flexi-plus) apparently they'll be using a 747 too.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ Koru
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press-release-2011-airfare-and-additional-flight-infor

Air New Zealand airfare and additional flight information for Christchurch
22 February 2011

All available fares on Air New Zealand domestic services from any point on the domestic network to/from Christchurch for booking and travel through until 8am Friday morning are available for $50 one way.

They can be booked via the Air New Zealand website and call centre.

In addition, Air New Zealand will operate a return Auckland-Christchurch service tomorrow utilising a Boeing 747-400, with seats available at the $50 fare.

Times for the special flights are as follows:

* Depart Auckland 10:30, arrive Christchurch 11:50
* Depart Christchurch 13:20, arrive Auckland 14:50

Meantime, Air New Zealand CEO Rob Fyfe, who is in Christchurch, has this evening been in contact with the Prime Minister and Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker offering the full resources of the airline.

Air New Zealand will regularly review capacity and compassionate fare requirements over the coming days.

Ends

Previous updates for flights to and from Christchurch available on the Air New Zealand website.

Issued by Air New Zealand Public Affairs +64 21 747 320
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Excellent work Air NZ! i hope those who needs to get to and from CHC can now do so!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
We have family right on top of it in CHC, Sumner, Redcliffs, cannot get through, but fortunately got one text saying all were ok but no idea as to the damage, wife having kittens. I don't know if this is the best but this is informative:

Live updates from TVNZ

And a people finder:

People finder application
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation

Good work Air New Zealand.

RIP earthquake victims.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Rebound
Excellent work Air NZ! i hope those who needs to get to and from CHC can now do so!

I am glad to be a NZer! where people are helping each other! but i think they might need to utilise their 744 more...... I can see that they are blocking out a lot of scheduled flights from CHC on Wed and Thu.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.