Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New vendor for mixed nuts (domestic AA - 2/2016), now able to buy online [7/2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New vendor for mixed nuts (domestic AA - 2/2016), now able to buy online [7/2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IggySD
All the nuts looked shiny / waxy and had a very rubbery consistency. Maybe just an error in preparation or a bad batch but I was very underwhelmed.
When nuts are really hot they can have a rubbery or chewy consistency, but they get crunchy again once they cool a little. Could this have been the issue?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by r415
I really want them to add those candied pineapple chunks they put in the nuts on Hawaii flights. In fact, they could just give me those instead of nuts.
While I love the Hawaiian mix, my mother says please no as she's allergic to pineapple.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And thus you have hit on my gripe for the day. Why no walnuts?
Walnuts like peanuts have a high incidence of allergy. They also have a slightly bitter flavor profile, which some people don't like.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And thus you have hit on my gripe for the day. Why no walnuts? Feels as though there may be discrimination at work here.
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Walnuts like peanuts have a high incidence of allergy. They also have a slightly bitter flavor profile, which some people don't like.
For me, nothing beats walnuts in chocolate chip cookies and brownies, but by themselves, they're not as pleasing as pecans.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
When nuts are really hot they can have a rubbery or chewy consistency, but they get crunchy again once they cool a little. Could this have been the issue?
Sometimes the FAs take them too far and the desired texture is not regained. This is also evidenced by when the nuts are black and smoking.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by fastflyer
On 2/21, I noted three macadamia nuts in my domestic AA mixed nuts. The percentage of cashews was also much lower than before (thankfully). I asked the FA, and she confirmed that AA has a new vendor for its domestic mixed nuts supply.
There is no new nut vendor, the lack of nut variation last year was due to drought in California and the resulting increase in prices do to lower supply. GNC foods (greatnuts.com) in the DFW area has been the supplier for over 20 years.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
If the ratio was even close by either measurement, my wife and I would be happ(ier). She loves pecans (I love them too), and I love pistachios (she less), so our exchanges would actually be somewhat equitable.. but in the recent past, 1 or 2 pecans, maybe no pistachios..
Keep in mind that any ratio they established is only the average.

Sometimes the nuts are not well mixed (before being served).

I've sometimes gotten a completely different ratio when I ask for seconds than the ratio I got when I was given my original serving of nuts on the same flight just a few minutes earlier!

I would think that proves that the nuts in the decanters were not well mixed!

So it's one thing to change the official ratio. It's a whole 'nother endeavor to somehow assure that everyone gets the same ratio every time.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by r415
Peanuts are very unlikely due to the wide prevalence of peanut allergies.

I really want them to add those candied pineapple chunks they put in the nuts on Hawaii flights. In fact, they could just give me those instead of nuts.

I recently flew from Kona to the mainland on AA and LOVED the nuts. I asked the FA where they get them. She said they are called Aloha Nuts, but did not know the vendor. She gave me a second helping. The candied pecans, cashews, candied pineapple, etc. Just perfect. If anyone knows who makes them, I have to know!!!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Upthread, someone indicated https://www.greatnuts.com is a key supplier.

The other one used by many airlines is: https://www.kingnut.com/products-we-offer/ . However, I didn't find a matching tropical product.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:59 am

Thanks for that info, Rasheed. I will keep searching. Maybe a letter to the CEO of AA will help!
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
AA first class nuts are on sale. Both the regular and Hawaii versions. If you buy the largest amount (6-pack) it comes out to $6.50 a pound which is a pretty good deal for mixed nuts. Just heat these up and serve in a ramekin and it'll be **just** like an airplane

https://www.greatnuts.com/aa-first-c...g-mixed-packs/
twa777, apeortdz and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Yeah, thats not a bad deal. Plus I've got some old USAir ramikens i can throw them into!
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
AA first class nuts are on sale. Both the regular and Hawaii versions. If you buy the largest amount (6-pack) it comes out to $6.50 a pound which is a pretty good deal for mixed nuts. Just heat these up and serve in a ramekin and it'll be **just** like an airplane

Hah! AA stopped serving them so the vendor has to dump them somehow. I bet you could even haggle it down a bit lower if you give them a call.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Actually not a bad deal. And I love the "Hawaii" version. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum

That's a Very good deal! just ordered a 6 pack (3 each) FREE Shipping to the lower 48 ! and a few more miles on the CC Win Win now I just have to go grab a bottle of Woodford's!

"Just heat these up and serve in a ramekin and it'll be **just** like an airplane " Nope, you need to have the kids sit behind your recliner, Talk constantly and kick the back of your chair, have the Wife heat up a "Lean Cuisine" in the Microwave and serve it to you on a tray, and find some half drunk stranger to sit next to you and tell you about their Divorce! Then it will be "JUST" like an Airplane :-) RT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.