Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA CENTURION card program changes: maximum two authorized users @ $2500 each

Old May 1, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Heads up to those with the Centurion card and additional members on their accounts!!

Spoke to AMX Centurion customer service today (I'm a Centurion cardholder) and they indicated starting this summer (within the next month) that all US Centurion cards will be allowed only 2 companions members versus the allowable 99 on your card. If you have more than 2 additionals, they will be grandfathered in. So you have a month to add people before they shut it down. She said a date will be communicated very soon.

I asked the reason - she said "To make the card more exclusive".

Hope this helps.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
That makes me wonder how many of those self serving pukes who 'sold' AU cards were a factor in this.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by danpass
That makes me wonder how many of those self serving pukes who 'sold' AU cards were a factor in this.
If it really was a factor, AmEx needs to seriously reevaluate their membership criteria. I really can't imagine any motivation for a HNWI "selling" AU access to Centurion. Then again, they haven't been targeting HNWI - they've been targeting people clever enough to spend a lot in a short period of time.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:38 am

Question

Please someone educate me. I am a Centurion Card holder with one AU, my wife. If I have read this thread correctly other Centurion Card holders have "sold" AU rights? Is that correct? Why would anyone do that since if the AU holder doesn't pay the Centurion Card holder will be responsible for those charges?
Old May 2, 2012, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by laf747
Please someone educate me. I am a Centurion Card holder with one AU, my wife. If I have read this thread correctly other Centurion Card holders have "sold" AU rights? Is that correct? Why would anyone do that since if the AU holder doesn't pay the Centurion Card holder will be responsible for those charges?
You could set a spending limit on the AU card - perhaps making it less than what you've charged the AU. If they don't pay, you're not out anything and you cancel the AU.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
You could set a spending limit on the AU card - perhaps making it less than what you've charged the AU. If they don't pay, you're not out anything and you cancel the AU.
I'm sorry in my opinion the whole idea is totally crazy
Old May 2, 2012, 10:00 am

I'm sorry in my opinion the whole idea is totally crazy
I agree completely, and don't personally know anyone who would participate in such a sham. AmEx might be better served to restrict AUs for personal cards to immediate family rather than a set number of cards.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:07 am

I agree completely, and don't personally know anyone who would participate in such a sham. AmEx might be better served to restrict AUs for personal cards to immediate family rather than a set number of cards.
Your suggestion makes total sense. Frankly, I would have thought that AU's for personal cards would have always been restricted to immediate family members
Old May 2, 2012, 10:15 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...would have thought that AU's for personal cards would have always been restricted to immediate family members
Almost impossible to enforce such a rule. Consider, for example, the case of an unmarried couple.
Old May 2, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by mia
Almost impossible to enforce such a rule. Consider, for example, the case of an unmarried couple.
A valid point. Can not argue with you about that. I guess that's why you are the moderator of this forum
Old May 2, 2012, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I wonder how many people got burnt by selling AU's
Old May 3, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, it would have to be based on Ts & Cs (eg: children, parents, spouse, partner, etc). I would think threat of the dreaded FR would keep people in line, but I know there's no good solution.

99 AU was clearly ridiculous, but 2 seems a bit weird (if you want to cut kids/parents/etc out, why not limit it to 1 AU?)
Old May 3, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
if you want to cut kids/parents/etc out, why not limit it to 1 AU?
Maybe they don't want to cut such AU's out - just limit abuse.
Old May 3, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Your suggestion makes total sense. Frankly, I would have thought that AU's for personal cards would have always been restricted to immediate family members
Some people have super-large immediate families.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
And some of us are married, but live in a state where our marriage isn't recognized...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.