Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016 | 6:19 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by GunneRy
I'm guessing I'll just have to pay the annual fee on the Plat 100k card in order to get the points, which is fine, given Am Ex will just refund the prorated amount.
Or... you could "just" pay the AF, use the card to get $400 in airline gift cards reimbursed over the first year, and have spent $50 for 100K MR worth roughly $1000. If you ever travel, you might milk another $50+ of value from the card.

This does not seem to be a particularly painful outcome to me.
Old Jun 16, 2016 | 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by joachimm
Or... you could "just" pay the AF, use the card to get $400 in airline gift cards reimbursed over the first year, and have spent $50 for 100K MR worth roughly $1000. If you ever travel, you might milk another $50+ of value from the card.

This does not seem to be a particularly painful outcome to me.
Exactly what many seasoned, long-term players would do. More so in the middle of a major Amex review of the product by their fraud department.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Jun 17, 2016 at 3:50 am
Old Jun 17, 2016 | 9:50 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
It's amusing to read posts about members reluctantly paying the annual fee.
Old Jun 17, 2016 | 10:56 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Sant
I think it boils down to the fact that people read what they read online and expect these points and the airline credits to be absolutely free.
Old Jun 17, 2016 | 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sant
All part of the game
Old Jun 17, 2016 | 3:12 pm

my previously earned points are frozen along with my 100k bonus. this is really annoying.
Old Jun 18, 2016 | 12:10 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, WF, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
My account is not frozen, and I just transferred some points to BA. My 100k bonus posted right after I finished spend, and I paid the AF. However my wife's points are in pending state, we finished spending about the same day.
Old Jun 18, 2016 | 1:24 pm

If and when anyone is unfrozen, please add to the thread.

I suspect we'll start to see people unfrozen in the next two weeks (6 weeks from the mid-May application date).

Personally, after hitting the Plat, MB Plat and soon the Everyday, I'm looking at 200k plus points frozen for another 5-7 weeks.
Old Jun 18, 2016 | 1:28 pm

I'm very curious to know if anyone gets their bonus denied due to "ineligible" purchases, specifically VGCs. As someone mentioned upthread, by the time such a denial happens, the period to meet the minimum spend will have likely ended. I've already bought a few VGCs with my Amex Plat but am now leaning toward using regular spending and/or Plastiq for the whole $3k, just to be safe. Thoughts?
Old Jun 18, 2016 | 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by incaroads
I'm very curious to know if anyone gets their bonus denied due to "ineligible" purchases, specifically VGCs. As someone mentioned upthread, by the time such a denial happens, the period to meet the minimum spend will have likely ended. I've already bought a few VGCs with my Amex Plat but am now leaning toward using regular spending and/or Plastiq for the whole $3k, just to be safe. Thoughts?
I'm sure we'll see data points rolling in soon if that is the case.

FYI, I applied for the Benz 75k a few days after the 100k fisco and was just able to transfer 1,000 points to ANA, so these freezes seem limited to only the 100k offer.
Old Jun 18, 2016 | 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd

FYI, I applied for the Benz 75k a few days after the 100k fisco and was just able to transfer 1,000 points to ANA, so these freezes seem limited to only the 100k offer.
Throughout this thread you'll see posts in which people express frustration that the freeze applies to their entire MR account balance, not just the 100K points from this offer.
Old Jun 18, 2016 | 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LWT3
Throughout this thread you'll see posts in which people express frustration that the freeze applies to their entire MR account balance, not just the 100K points from this offer.
You misunderstood. I meant only people who applied for the Plat 100k appear to be getting frozen, not those who only applied for the MB 75k Plat.
Old Jun 19, 2016 | 10:24 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
You misunderstood. I meant only people who applied for the Plat 100k appear to be getting frozen, not those who only applied for the MB 75k Plat.
Agreed, the hold appears to be related to this specific offer. There is ample speculation earlier in the thread about the reason(s), but the reality is that we do not know.
Old Jun 20, 2016 | 7:12 am

Correct. I thought that was widely understood.
Old Jun 20, 2016 | 10:16 am

Same issue, all account frozen for transfers even after payment was done for the Annual fee promptly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.