Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Major earthquake in NE Japan - Narita closed

Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709847

8.8 magnitude sounds nasty!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:18 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Terrifying live pictures of tsunami on BBC News, CNN etc...... right now.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Looks pretty bad...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes this looks really bad. The pics on CNN & Sky look terrible.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Terrible watching poor people in cars trying to escape the tsunami. And still probably more to come in other countries too. The tsunami warning has spread across many Pacific bordering countries.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Natural hazards are my day job (I run a research institute that focuses on hazard and risk), so you may be interested in the update on my blog.

Dave
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by origin
Yes this looks really bad. The pics on CNN & Sky look terrible.
I'm sat in Los Angeles watching the local news.

Flooding being predicted here from 08:00 local, which they hope will just be very high tides

I never thought I would say this, but I'm actually glad I flew out of HNL earlier today. Local tv is reporting tsunami warning sirens are sounding on the islands and people are being evacuated to higher ground !!

I wish everyone caught up in this the very best

cs
Old Mar 11, 2011, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Continuous coverage on BBC earlier ... dreadful images.

My thoughts are with the people caught up in it in Japan ... and best of luck to those who will receive the tsunami later.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I'm sat in Los Angeles watching the local news.

Flooding being predicted here from 08:00 local, which they hope will just be very high tides
I am glad you are okay. I would be dreadfull to be stuck there now. Telephone systems were / are causing problems. Trying to contact family and freinds is so diffcult.

I was watching CNN. Someone had contacted them and said that their grandad had been killed in the earthquake, not nice when having breakfast.

The waves are bigger than my house, watching some houses just disappear. It wasnt very nice to see.

There is hope that the waves will die down before they reach the US land. An expert form the UK was suggesting this earlier.

As for you. Go and find Kelly Brook she is out there in LA, I am not sure where. Try to give her a big hug, she has certain assets which could be handy. If she complains just tell her my name, she can come and be upset with me later.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Devastating pics from Japan. My prayers go out to all those who've lost family, friends and their homes.

I have some friends in Tokyo at present. Thankfully they're safe but very shaken and say the buildings are still shaking.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Devastating pics from Japan. My prayers go out to all those who've lost family, friends and their homes.

I have some friends in Tokyo at present. Thankfully they're safe but very shaken and say the buildings are still shaking.
they are getting aftershocks every 30 minutes or so. thats why they buildings are still shaking.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by origin
they are getting aftershocks every 30 minutes or so. thats why they buildings are still shaking.
Yeah, that's what they said, and I believe the aftershocks can go on for weeks, or even months.
But as they're from California they're a bit more experienced in earthquakes than the majority of us are.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:14 pm

I have my BB set up to receive tsunami warning text messages, and it's been going nuts since midnight. Fortunately, there has only been minor wave action on the Washington coast. I think we're out of the boresight of the tsunami.

Reports of yet another quake (6.6) in central Japan in the last few minutes. And I'm really watching news on that reactor that lost its coolant.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chucko
I have my BB set up to receive tsunami warning text messages, and it's been going nuts since midnight. Fortunately, there has only been minor wave action on the Washington coast. I think we're out of the boresight of the tsunami.

Reports of yet another quake (6.6) in central Japan in the last few minutes. And I'm really watching news on that reactor that lost its coolant.
they say that they are going to release some gas from the reactor to ease pressure. Its based on the coast so they should be able to get the gas off into the sea area.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Fox reporting some tsunami effect in CA ... although not a lot of detail. A few trashed leisure boats, according to their pictures, doesn't compare with what Japan is suffering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.