Click to enlarge
Print Wikipost

Runway use question [LHR]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, I'm back!
Runway use question [LHR]

Sat here on bar stools at far end of GC South lounge at LHR and for last hour been watching planes taking off. In that time a BA and Singapore 380 have landed on same runway and a 747 (missed the carrier). What's the reason for this, I assumed one runway was take off and one landing. J69
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A local expert will respond soon, but essentially LHR uses gaps (or creates them) to allow the Heavy and Super aircraft to use the departure runway occasionally … that the facilitates tighter spacing on the landing runway, avoiding the wake turbulence issues with the bigger aircraft.

Efficiency … bloody awesome LHR ATCOs ^
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:00 am

It is one runway for departures, and one for arrivals.

However...

There can be landing aircraft on the departure runway when there is inbound holding when on westerlies, or any time it suits on easterlies (T4 traffic/more efficient to do so)

It is usually only done if there is no outbound delay though.

380's are a prime choice for landing on the southern runway as nearly all the gates for them are nearer to there.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
A local expert will respond soon, but essentially LHR uses gaps (or creates them) to allow the Heavy and Super aircraft to use the departure runway occasionally … that the facilitates tighter spacing on the landing runway, avoiding the wake turbulence issues with the bigger aircraft.

Efficiency … bloody awesome LHR ATCOs ^
Thanks T, I saw that on BBC airport live, very impressive too. Has been a constant queue for take off since I got here but a little KLM aircraft just landed there too (missed type as was topping up )
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:02 am
Original Poster

ew

Originally Posted by LHRATCO
It is one runway for departures, and one for arrivals.

However...

There can be landing aircraft on the departure runway when there is inbound holding when on westerlies, or any time it suits on easterlies (T4 traffic/more efficient to do so)

It is usually only done if there is no outbound delay though.

380's are a prime choice for landing on the southern runway as nearly all the gates for them are nearer to there.
Cheers, I knew I could rely on FT ^
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LHRATCO
And for those watching in black and white, today it's easterlies.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes, easterlies today so we can land on any runway. If it's quiet outbound, or busy inbound, we'll use 09R (the southern runway) to offload arrivals (especially A380s or T4 inbounds as has been described).
Old Oct 18, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower

If it's quiet outbound, or busy inbound, we'll use 09R (the southern runway) to offload arrivals (especially A380s or T4 inbounds as has been described).
I had precisely this happen to me on last Friday's QR007 DOH-LHR A346 when, expecting to land on 09L, we landed on 09R.

From touchdown to clearing LHR T4 passport control must have taken all of 12 minutes. ^
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a long-serving former Mil ATCO, with deep rooted professional disdain for Civvie ones (numerous reasons, but pay would be No 1 ) I remain impressed by the practical performance of the over-paid bunch at LHR.

Good work, guys. ^

(BTW - I was an ATCA at Southern Centre, in the Black Huts at LHR north-side. Before your time, I suspect )
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by T8191
As a long-serving former Mil ATCO, with deep rooted professional disdain for Civvie ones (numerous reasons, but pay would be No 1 ) I remain impressed by the practical performance of the over-paid bunch at LHR.

Good work, guys. ^

(BTW - I was an ATCA at Southern Centre, in the Black Huts at LHR north-side. Before your time, I suspect )
T8191 Very kind, we do our best!

Phil the Flyer Impressive! 12 mins to even arriving at most T5 gates would be an achievement...
Old Oct 18, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Landed at ARN now, 11 minutes from touchdown to Arlanda Express into town. Row 1 helped
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
The day 09L will be used for departures again, will be awesome!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:26 am

Define 'awesome'!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Define 'awesome'!
Canine nether regions if you prefer
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:29 pm

Ha, well, if you guys want to come and do Ground Movement Control when we go to 09L departures and 09R arrivals, please be my guest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.