Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Pre-2015 discussion can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1369343-how-many-chase-cards-do-you-can-you-have.html
Print Wikipost

How many Chase cards do you/can you have?

Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

How many Chase cards do you/can you have?

Does the number of personal cards (or credit limit) one has affect application of business cards? I already have 7 personal cards (and no business card) with Chase, but I am considering applying for Ink Plus.

Am I correct to think that one of the following is true?

1) (if you CAN move credit lines between personal and business accounts) If I get into recon I will be able to move credit lines from my personal cards (or close them) in order to get the Ink Plus approved.

2) (if you CANNOT move credit lines between personal and business accounts) I used to have an Ink Bold that I closed about a year ago, which means Chase will be likely to give me a credit line about as much as much as my old Ink Bold card.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:32 am

To be honest, I don't think Chase has any limits except for limits to credit exposure.

My oldest Chase account is 12 years old. I just got 3 new cards, and as soon as United Explorer has something more attractive than 30k miles (they have 50k once in a while), I'm going to pull the trigger on 3 more personal cards and 2 business cards (United Explorer and Ink Plus). I doubt I'll get more credit, but I don't really care to, I'll just realloc.

Respect Chase, and they'll respect you back. They have some of the best cards out there, in my opinion. Far too many good cards, honestly. Can be problematic how good they are!

Side note: I do wish Ink Bold was still available. I completely missed the boat on that.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:30 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
To be honest, I don't think Chase has any limits except for limits to credit exposure.

My oldest Chase account is 12 years old. I just got 3 new cards, and as soon as United Explorer has something more attractive than 30k miles (they have 50k once in a while), I'm going to pull the trigger on 3 more personal cards and 2 business cards (United Explorer and Ink Plus). I doubt I'll get more credit, but I don't really care to, I'll just realloc.

Respect Chase, and they'll respect you back. They have some of the best cards out there, in my opinion. Far too many good cards, honestly. Can be problematic how good they are!

Side note: I do wish Ink Bold was still available. I completely missed the boat on that.
They have so many good cards because they really only have a couple good card templates; then they barely tweak the template to fit a partner. It's very smart, good for us, and good for them and their partners.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:22 pm

I was just approved for the Ritz-Carlton card.

Currently have:
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Freedom
Chase United Mileageplus
Chase Ink Plus
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
I have:
Freedom
Amazon
ToysRUs
SW Premier Personal (converted from some other personal Chase card)
SW Premier Business
Ink+ (Got this last month)

So I have 4 personal, 2 biz. For the SW personal card, they said I had too much credit and would only offer me the card if I closed an account. I applied for both SW cards the same day and both required a call to the recon line.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:24 pm

chase limited me to 6 so i dropped Sapphire and Marriott before the AF. Will drop UA soon and keep Amazon,Freedom and Ink....Last I read you need to wait 366 days for UA reap
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:41 pm

I have:

Sapphire (as an AU) - oldest credit line, ~15 yrs
United Explorer
Southwest Premiere Personal
Ink Plus

Total CL: $54K
Total CL without counting AU card: $24K

When I applied for the Chase Ink Plus recently for the 70k promo, I was told that I have too many Chase cards. I got it on the recon (reallocation and small CL), but I am considering calling to reduce my CL to increase my chances of getting another Southwest card. I also don't know whether the AU credit line is counted in total credit?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, SPG
I have:

4 Chase Business cards (I have a number of different business with different tax ids)
1 Chase Sapphire
1 Chase Hyatt

Just applied last week for Chase United Explorer personal and business. Had to call in, rep said "Wow, you have a lot of Chase cards", but after reducing credit limit on a couple cards approved both.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by whumpf
I have:

4 Chase Business cards (I have a number of different business with different tax ids)
1 Chase Sapphire
1 Chase Hyatt

Just applied last week for Chase United Explorer personal and business. Had to call in, rep said "Wow, you have a lot of Chase cards", but after reducing credit limit on a couple cards approved both.
So to confirm they can move around your business credit too? I got denied a 2nd bold right at the deadline for a new business with a new EIN due to "too much credit". Then again it being a charge card may have made it funky

But my sapphire regular card has a 15k limit, so correct me if I'm wrong, at the very minimum, can open 2 more cards and shift the CL from the Sapphire.

I still have a downgraded Sapphire and downgraded UA card. Wondering if I'm eligible for the new bonus (been close to 2 years) if I opened a new sapphire plus / United card.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:32 pm
MCB

Programs: UA former 1P, WN A-List, Hyatt Pt, HH Au, Marriott Ag, SPG Pt, Accor Pt, IHG
I'm trying to figure out my best strategy for getting an EMV-compatible card for foreign travel. I currently have:

Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (my daily card)
Chase United MileagePlus (old, used for monthly auto-billed services like DirecTV)
Chase Slate (formerly MasterCard, replaced by Visa, never used)

What I want is a Chase Sapphire Preferred with the EMV chip, but I am worried that Chase will think I have too much open credit with them. My FICO is around 800 so I am an excellent risk and no delinquencies. I'd be happy to cancel the Slate Visa since it is useless. I originally got it as an M/C to be able to use at places that only took M/C and not Visa (yes, there are such places, outside the U.S.) but Chase unfortunately decided to convert all its MasterCards to Visas. (Grrr.)

Before researching this I wrote to Chase and asked if I could convert my MP Explorer (the card I use the most, pretty much daily) to EMV, and they said it was not offered as an EMV card, and they sent a list of Chase cards that are. It starts with the Sapphire Preferred, and then includes several partner cards I am not interested in, plus Marriott and Hyatt which I might be (although Sapphire Preferred looks better than those).

Any advice? Also, are all Chase chip-enabled cards chip-and-signature or are some chip-and-PIN?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by MCB
I'm trying to figure out my best strategy for getting an EMV-compatible card for foreign travel. I currently have:

Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (my daily card)
Chase United MileagePlus (old, used for monthly auto-billed services like DirecTV)
Chase Slate (formerly MasterCard, replaced by Visa, never used)

What I want is a Chase Sapphire Preferred with the EMV chip, but I am worried that Chase will think I have too much open credit with them. My FICO is around 800 so I am an excellent risk and no delinquencies. I'd be happy to cancel the Slate Visa since it is useless. I originally got it as an M/C to be able to use at places that only took M/C and not Visa (yes, there are such places, outside the U.S.) but Chase unfortunately decided to convert all its MasterCards to Visas. (Grrr.)
If you think you already have too much open credit with Chase, what you can do is apply for the card that you want (in this case the CSP) and IF denied, call and recon the card and say that you could close the Slate and move the limit over to the CSP to approve the app.

This is assuming the only reason they would deny you is that you reached Chase's internal limit for you.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:12 am

I wonder if different cards have different "exposure buckets."

I applied for 2 Chase biz cards last Spring. At the time, I had 1 personal ($25K CL) and 4 business lines ($56K total CL). So total Chase exposure of $81K.

App for United Explorer - instant approval with $24K CL???
App for Ink Plus - deferred approval after reconsideration call to verify details of the new business. $5K CL and no need to reallocate or close lines.

My income is low 6 figures, reasonable spending, no MS (at that time ;-)). Seems like I've gone way above the max exposure, and I'm not sure why.

Another thread suggested that multiple businesses may help get more lines but won't increase your max exposure. Also, decreasing CL on your existing lines before new apps may increase your odds of instant approval. The obvious problem is that everyone's max exposure is unique.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:36 am

Freedom #1 (8yrs old)
Freedom #2 (5yrs old)
Amazon (7yrs old)

SW Premier
SW Plus
Ink Plus Biz
Ritz Carlton

So 7 cards for ~$70k total CL. I'd like to get the MileagePlus 50k I was targeted for (and expires 2/28) but I know I'm at the ceiling of line they'll give me and I just got the Ritz and reallocated. So debating on whether I will pull the trigger on that one or not.

Clearly I keep the three free cards for account age, which really cuts into my card count #. Luckily Chase doesn't seem to care too much for card age, just allocation.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:40 pm

Ink+ Company 1
Ink+ Sole Proprietor
Freedom #1
Freedom #2
Amazon
CSP
Hyatt
United

Have to call in every time to get approval to reallocate
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Currently:
United
Hyatt
Marriott
Slate (had used for a 0% APR, $0 fee transfer deal 2 years ago)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.