Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Citi treat "Product Change" as "Closed" for purposes of the 18-month rule?

Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F

Most Citi credit card application has the following language:

Bonus *** not available if you have had a Citi *** card opened or closed in the past 18 months.
Is product change considered "closed"?

I am interested in the new Citi Thankyou Premier card in particular, which I opened in 2012 and product changed to Dividend in July 2014. Will I be eligible for the signup bonus of Thankyou Premier again now, or do I have to wait until January 2016?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:28 am

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

In addition, does the 18 month rule begin on the day of application, account approval or bonus posting?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Campath
does the 18 month rule begin on the day of application, account approval or bonus posting?
One of the first two (which should only be a few days apart in most cases). Definitely not anything later than that (like activation, first spend, or bonus posting).

So to be safe (because it's the later one, and in any case the most likely one), use the account approval date.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:39 pm

I've been wondering this for a while too. Honestly with the knowledge of most Citi CSRs, I'm thinking we'll have to have a couple of people try it out and report back to finally get an answer.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:12 pm

After a product change, the account that was converted reads "Closed" in online banking. I assume by "Closed" they mean "Closed".
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by mizzou1
After a product change, the account that was converted reads "Closed" in online banking. I assume by "Closed" they mean "Closed".
Well, it is not considered "closed" in credit reports. You keep the same credit line, open date, payment history, etc.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cloudybw
Well, it is not considered "closed" in credit reports. You keep the same credit line, open date, payment history, etc.
That may be, but the definition of "closed" that this thread is about is with reference to Citi making you wait 18 months since the last card of a given type was "opened or closed".
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:06 pm

Anyone have any new or additional insight on this? I am interested in the same answer, but from a different perspective. For example, say I converted an exec to a double cash and want to figure out if my clock is ticking from the date I opened the exec or the date I converted the exec (if that is indeed considered "closing" the card).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JaytheBarber
Anyone have any new or additional insight on this? I am interested in the same answer, but from a different perspective. For example, say I converted an exec to a double cash and want to figure out if my clock is ticking from the date I opened the exec or the date I converted the exec (if that is indeed considered "closing" the card).
The date you converted the Exec, i.e. the "closed" date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.