Wiki Posts
Search

Why "Not Upgrade Eligible"?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles Gold
Why "Not Upgrade Eligible"?

Still trying to figure this all out, I am a GM and I am flying from MSP->AMS later this week. The ticket is an H fare (still not sure what that means) and online it says "Not Upgrade Eligible"... why? Can I not get an upgrade with an H fare? Or can GM not get upgrades on international flights? The seat map shows a pretty empty plane
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by sethmac86
Still trying to figure this all out, I am a GM and I am flying from MSP->AMS later this week. The ticket is an H fare (still not sure what that means) and online it says "Not Upgrade Eligible"... why? Can I not get an upgrade with an H fare? Or can GM not get upgrades on international flights? The seat map shows a pretty empty plane
I'm sure this has been rehashed on many threads. I think international upgrades are from Y, B and M fares only. Then..with miles or a SWU.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks, whats an SWU?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Originally Posted by OHDL1
I'm sure this has been rehashed on many threads. I think international upgrades are from Y, B and M fares only. Then..with miles or a SWU.
Y,B,M international for complementary upgrades, H,K,Q require a SWU (System Wide Upgrade) or a Miles upgrade, however the miles required for upgrade are 2x the normal (so for instance most TATL flights are 25,000 RDMs for a BE upgrade, instead of 12,500 if you had a Y,B,M).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by sethmac86:19752818
Thanks, whats an SWU?
Swu is a 'system wide upgrade that pm and dm can get as one of their medallion gifts.
On domestic flights, you can use it on a K fare or higher to get upgraded (if available inventory, Z fare). On international flights, they can only be used with Y, B, or M fares.
The only way for a medallion to get upgraded on an intl flight is if the flight is overbooked, then they might opup (operational upgrade) you. Don't fly expecting opus, though
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Originally Posted by CTJoyce
Y,B,M international for complementary upgrades, H,K,Q require a SWU (System Wide Upgrade) or a Miles upgrade, however the miles required for upgrade are 2x the normal (so for instance most TATL flights are 25,000 RDMs for a BE upgrade, instead of 12,500 if you had a Y,B,M).
There are NO complementary updgrades for International flights. International flights are only eligable for upgrade on Y, B, or M fares using SWUs or miles, and if there is upgrade inventory available.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There are no complimentary medallion upgrades on international flights except to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and some destinations in South America.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Thanks, whats an SWU?
SystemWide Upgrade. Upon qualifying for Platinum or Diamond, you can choose SWUs as a choice benefit. For flights with BE (typically), these can be used for a one way upgrade to BusinessElite from an expensive coach ticket (YBM fares). For domestic flights, they can be used on slightly lower fare buckets, though still not on LUTE classes.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:47 am
Original Poster

ok so then a follow up question:

How do I know if I'm booking a Y,B or M fare? I know what Y is, but what about B & M? I normally purchase fully refundable but that seems to still be an H fare?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know where you're getting this infromation but it is wrong. For international long-haul upgrades into BE, Y B M fares and SWUs or miles are required. Period. No upgrades from H Q K fares with any number of miles.

You can upgrade domestic H Q K fares with SWUs or the same number of miles as M and restricted B fares.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
ok so then a follow up question:

How do I know if I'm booking a Y,B or M fare? I know what Y is, but what about B & M? I normally purchase fully refundable but that seems to still be an H fare?
When you purchase the ticket on Delta it should show the fare class in your trip summary before you buy the ticket, and also show it in your itinerary after you buy.

If you're going through a travel agent, you'd have to ask them to book an M or higher fare to be able to use miles for an upgrade to AMS.

I've never seen an international fare that is refundable in H... usually that requires a B or Y, although strange things do happen.
Domestic refundable fares are all over the place, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see an H that is refundable.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know where you're getting this infromation but it is wrong. For international long-haul upgrades into BE, Y B M fares and SWUs or miles are required. Period. No upgrades from H Q K fares with any number of miles.

You can upgrade domestic H Q K fares with SWUs or the same number of miles as M and restricted B fares.
I guess I was reading this http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html wrong then and assuming that "Select fares" meant H,K,Q.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Wow, ok I see it now, I checked for my flight and M & higher are at $4K+?? may as well get business then but I'm not allowed to get business... go figure...

So unless I have the SWU I'm pretty much outta luck getting an upgrade on international as a GM?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Besides domestic, H,Q,K is allowed to be used for upgrades with an SWU to the Carribbean/Mexico/Hawaii. Miles to the carib are Y/B/M, same as international.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, ok I see it now, I checked for my flight and M & higher are at $4K+?? may as well get business then but I'm not allowed to get business... go figure...

So unless I have the SWU I'm pretty much outta luck getting an upgrade on international as a GM?
Even with an SWU you'd still have to pay the 4k M fare. Your only shot would be to pay that fare and use 25k miles, assuming there is upgrade space available... or hope for the slim chance that Y is very overbooked and you get an op-up to business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.