Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles to stop paying Bonus Miles for Korean Airlines and Other Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta SkyMiles to stop paying Bonus Miles for Korean Airlines and Other Partners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: All, and most at top levels (thank you AMEX Black Card)

This may be a first. The whole point of an "Alliance" is to have the ability to earn points and status from "alliance partner airlines." Is this the beginning of the end? Effective June 1 Delta will STOP paying Bonus miles on KE flights.
see: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxDd...ZmSC1Zc00/edit

Last edited by MN international flyer; Apr 16, 2013 at 9:07 am Reason: link broke
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
But you still have the ability to earn points and status from "alliance partner airlines" - even Korean.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
New Partner Mileage Earning Continuing Updates

Is it just me, or are there more columns that continue to get added to the right of the partner mileage earning?

For example, Korean Air:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...t-diamond.html

Now, for tickets flown on or after June 1st, 2013 the medallion mileage bonus no longer is received.

This is in addition to the halved MQM that are received after March 1st, 2013...

Also, China Southern, for tickets flown on or after May 1st, 2013 the medallion mileage bonus no longer is received

In summary, it seems like additional changes are being made to this mileage earning chart without any pre-notification, or other way to clearly see when the changes were made.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:12 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Here's another recent post that I believe is related. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of interest, unfortunately.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ghlight=korean
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Spire ambassador, Hilton gold, Bonvoy??? Platinum
It seems to me that the key is Delta Marketed flights still earn all the goodies. So, if Delta gets it's money, and you fly on a different carrier, such as Korean, you still get the points.

Can someone confirm this?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by msn bubba
It seems to me that the key is Delta Marketed flights still earn all the goodies. So, if Delta gets it's money, and you fly on a different carrier, such as Korean, you still get the points.

Can someone confirm this?
Yes, SkyTeam operates under a marketing carrier scheme for earning, subject to if you fly a SkyTeam-coded flight (other than the program you're trying to earn in) it must be operated by a SkyTeam carrier to earn miles. The problem is that it can often be much more expensive to get DL-coded flights to Asia than KE-coded flights. Also, you usually can't buy a DL-coded ICN-PVG operated by KE all by itself. It has to be part of a larger ticket coming from the US.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
all the China partner now earning no bonus Once again no warning from Delta; makes me wonder what is coming next
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
all the China partner now earning no bonus Once again no warning from Delta; makes me wonder what is coming next
End for SkyTeam.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by elpi
End for SkyTeam.
all other alliances will follow this lead, i guarantee it.

just like luggage fees, all it takes is one to get a change like this rolling...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:21 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elpi
End for SkyTeam.
We will see ATI agreements trump the alliance very soon.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by MN international flyer
This may be a first. The whole point of an "Alliance" is to have the ability to earn points and status from "alliance partner airlines." Is this the beginning of the end? Effective June 1 Delta will STOP paying Bonus miles on KE flights.
see: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxDd...ZmSC1Zc00/edit

UA Premier members already don't get Premier Bonuses on SQ nor TG nor CA nor NZ nor LO nor SA, etc. today, just with JV partners.

Originally Posted by squatch
all other alliances will follow this lead, i guarantee it.
Delta is hardly the leader in this...see my example above - UA already doesn't offer Premier mileage bonuses on some *A partners such as SQ or TG or CA or NZ. Looks more like DL is copying UA's lead....
Right now, it looks like DL is still offering elite bonuses on some non-JV partners such as SV or ME or SU, for example...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is Delta, so it certainly shouldn't be a surprise.

I have a few things I think they're going to implement in the next year. I'll refrain from posting them, as I don't want to give DL any ideas.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
these changes are for tickets FLOWN after that date. sorry to those early bookers...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is making the decision of whether to ticket a partner flight as a DL codeshare or not so very complicated. For some privileges, such as picking certain seats in advance or using miles for a SkyTeam upgrade award (from full fares), the flight must be ticketed under the flight number of the operating carrier, but for other stuff--such as elite bonus miles we're now discovering--one must use the DL codeshare.

Again, the typical DL customer is completely unaware of these subtleties, let alone the rule changes that we're discovering without them being announced by DL.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its obvious that DL doesn't like its Asia partners and doesn't care unless you fly DL flight numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.