Search

Delta Pilot gives up seat for me!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013 | 7:51 am
Original Poster
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch

I got to the airport early and was put on the standby list for an earlier flight. A uniformed pilot was also on the list commuting to ATL for work. I got the last seat and he had to wait for the next flight. Another uniformed pilot took the cockpit jump seat. He did not help me with my bag though.... Pretty much every time I fly stand by, a nice Non Rev gives up a seat for me. Since the CEO got his own thread, I figured I start one for all the other employees who fly all the time and rarely as space confirmed...
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:17 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Thumbs up

Your posts are one of the few reasons that I still read FT.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:32 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by maizeandblue96
Your posts are one of the few reasons that I still read FT.
^
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I got to the airport early and was put on the standby list for an earlier flight. A uniformed pilot was also on the list commuting to ATL for work. I got the last seat and he had to wait for the next flight. Another uniformed pilot took the cockpit jump seat. He did not help me with my bag though.... Pretty much every time I fly stand by, a nice Non Rev gives up a seat for me. Since the CEO got his own thread, I figured I start one for all the other employees who fly all the time and rarely as space confirmed...
I hope and trust the prettiest flight attendant brought you your drink?
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 11:35 am

Programs: OW Emerald
No tongue in check there whats so ever!
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 11:38 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Obviously your fame proceeded you.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 11:54 am

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Pope gives up seat on Popemobile

From NBC News:
Pope Francis invites boy with Down Syndrome for spin on popemobile

Francis invited Alberto di Tullio up onto his open-top Mercedes at the end of his general audience Wednesday, letting him spin around on the pontiff's white chair while tens of thousands of people looked on.

Must have been following Richard's example...
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been on many long haul flights where the pilot and copilot gave up even a flat bed seat for me. They could have been napping during the long flight but instead they remained in the cockpit flying the plane. Of course, that was their job.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Wow, it really blows my mind when I stop and think about how many Delta employees have given up their seats for us! The next time I click that purchase button on delta.com I'll stop and think about the Delta employee who will be giving up their seat for me. They are all truly selfless people.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 12:56 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Years ago I had a KL pilot give up his seat for me, well for about an hour. In the days when passengers could visit the cockpit I spent about an hour in the jump seat of a 7something7 flying AMS-NBO. The third pilot came back from his rest break while I was there and took the second jump seat so I could stay around longer.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by deltalirious
From NBC News:

Francis invited Alberto di Tullio up onto his open-top Mercedes at the end of his general audience Wednesday, letting him spin around on the pontiff's white chair while tens of thousands of people looked on.

Must have been following Richard's example...
The Pope probably hopes that, if he is judged worthy, he will one day be able to sit behind C. E.'s desk.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 5:24 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Pope gives up seat on Popemobile

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Originally Posted by deltalirious
From NBC News:
As I skimmed over this post - a little too fast - I thought it said . . . .

Pope gives up seat for Thomas Hudson!

Old Jun 21, 2013 | 5:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Angry

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been on many long haul flights where the pilot and copilot gave up even a flat bed seat for me. They could have been napping during the long flight but instead they remained in the cockpit flying the plane. Of course, that was their job.
What the heck are you lying about. There is absolutely no way the pilot will give up their BE seat for a pax and stay in the cockpit. It's against quite a few policies and I'm pretty sure their contract as well.

Know you feel the need to interject yourself into every single discussion on the flyer talkers but why not keep your wrong information to yourself.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Vuelos
<snip>There is absolutely no way the pilot will give up their BE seat for a pax and stay in the cockpit. <snip>
I agree, if the pilot and co-pilot have the BE seats that are curtained off, no one can sit in these but the pilots. I certainly would not want to be on a long flight with the reserve pilots tired and sitting all night in the cockpit.

BTW, last Thursday evening, a repositioning pilot gave me his EC seat and he sat in the cockpit on the jumpseat. ^ But this was only MSY-ATL.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Traveller
I agree, if the pilot and co-pilot have the BE seats that are curtained off, no one can sit in these but the pilots. I certainly would not want to be on a long flight with the reserve pilots tired and sitting all night in the cockpit.

BTW, last Thursday evening, a repositioning pilot gave me his EC seat and he sat in the cockpit on the jumpseat. ^ But this was only MSY-ATL.
I can see this being pretty typical. EC isn't much of a step up from a jumpseat, especially not on a short route. Probably beats an ERJ-145 seat, too. I do not, however, see them doing that on long haul (or even flights of two hours or more). Aside from rules and hours and required rest, who would want to cram in the jumpseat for an 8 hour flight when they have a reserved BE seat? Sure it would be cool to fly jumpseat for a short domestic hop, because the pilots will be busy actually doing stuff. But on a TATL? They just sit there and monitor gauges, make position reports, and listen to (silent) radio frequencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.