Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

And I thought I had seen it all..... White Goose takes a seat on board a DL flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And I thought I had seen it all..... White Goose takes a seat on board a DL flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Smile And I thought I had seen it all..... White Goose takes a seat on board a DL flight

Well, after almost 10 years of travelling for business and over 1 million status miles I thought I had seen it all. Strange passengers, "interesting" FA's, upgrades, downgrades, good meals, bad meals, no meals....well, almost anything. And yes, I have seen people travelling with their dogs (quite often), their cats (less frequent) and even their rabbits (once).

But what I saw today was beyond imagination.

I had just arrived in Milwaukee and stepped of my CRJ900 flight from ATL. Upon entering the classic concourse E, which reminded me a lot of the good old times, I noticed that a DL flight was about to be ready for boarding at the gate next to us.

A women in a wheelchair, being pushed by an airport agent, was approaching the gate and I could hear a loud chatter. Also, people that passed the lady in the wheelchair immediately turned around in disbelief. Some started smiling, some took pictures, others jumped away.

The woman had a large, white goose sitting on her lap. The goose must have been excited about the upcoming flight as she was chattering a lot and tried to jump of the ladys lap. I did not know if the goose was trying to enter the Breezeway lane.

Anyhow, the woman had no basket or anything else with her, so I assumed the goose would travel on board with her.

Now, in a true Flyertalk spirit, this incident raises a few questios:

- Does the goose require a ticket?
- If so, can she get a Skymiles number? Is she entitled to a frequent flyer status
- What happens if the goose is sitting next to a passenger like....well, me? I am not really into gooses (unless they are well cooked, of course).... could I switch the seat? And of course.... will I be compensated for that trauma?
- If the flight hits turbulences and the goose cannot (obviously) be buckled up...is the result then called "bird strike"?

Well, I guess I can cross out another item from my "frequent flyer bucket list": See a woman with a goose in an airport
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Very interesting...

delta.com says that "household birds" can be brought into the main cabin, but I wouldn't quite call a goose a "household bird". Also, the animal must be in a kennel (which it isn't) and must be in the seat underneath it. Don't really see how delta.com would allow an animal to avoid these rules.

Of course, it's quite possible that the traveler was considering the goose a service animal and had the notation that would allow the pet into the cabin. Much like someone got away with it on US Airways several years ago, when they brought a pig into the First Class cabin on a PHL-SEA flight. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=95217&page=1 Seeing eye dogs are one thing (and have a place wherever they go); pigs and geese,
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Well, I checked the birds SkyMiles account, and under MQM's I saw a goose egg. So, either it was on an award ticket, or it was a non-rev.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:00 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by berlinflyer
Now, in a true Flyertalk spirit, this incident raises a few questios:

- Does the goose require a ticket?
- If so, can she get a Skymiles number? Is she entitled to a frequent flyer status
- What happens if the goose is sitting next to a passenger like....well, me? I am not really into gooses (unless they are well cooked, of course).... could I switch the seat? And of course.... will I be compensated for that trauma?
- If the flight hits turbulences and the goose cannot (obviously) be buckled up...is the result then called "bird strike"?

Well, I guess I can cross out another item from my "frequent flyer bucket list": See a woman with a goose in an airport
No ticket required - it is a "service animal." I had a woman in a very small 30-seat plane in the row in front of me carry a small dog for "emotional comfort" or some weird thing. My guess is that most these people use that line so it allows their pets to travel for free (I know I am being cynical here)

I would insist on a FA switching your seat if you didn't want to sit next to the goose. Not sure about the compensation thing though. I heard one airline let a pig fly as a service animal a couple of years ago. Most airlines can't do anything - they would be sued for discrimination or something similar.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I believe that this thread is a great fit for the FT Travel With Pets Forum. Perhaps, others would care to share their avian experiences.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

A Goose.....
Old Jul 12, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
What protection is there for people with allergies on flights where someone brings an animal? I am deathly allergic to birds, and so on a flight with a goose like this, it certainly would not be safe for me to travel. Would DL rebook me or tell me that I'm SOL? As a GM, soon to be PM, would DL tell the woman with the goose that she has to make other arrangements for the goose due to other passenger concerns?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Even is a crate, there would be serious odor issues with a goose.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by berlinflyer
...- What happens if the goose is sitting next to a passenger like....well, me?...
It's a goose thing that airline meals do not have tapioca.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 11:09 am

Actually, this particular goose is the one goose that lays golden eggs.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
What a delicious account berlinflyer!!!
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Even is a crate, there would be serious odor issues with a goose.
Are owls and geese natural enemies ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.