Search

Seoul Hyatt Preference?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Bonvoy, Hilton, BA, United
Seoul Hyatt Preference?

Hi all,

I have an upcoming trip to Seoul, and am wondering what everyone's preferences are between the three Hyatt's in Seoul (Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, and Andaz). I also see that there is the Hotel28, but that one seems suspended atm.

Especially interested in COVID-era experiences, though I'm also open to comparisons from the beforetimes.

Thanks!

EDIT: To provide some more context. It would just be me and Mrs. falcon9xr. No kids. Don't mind kids in clubs unless it's overwhelming. I'm a glob-lite, a Bonvoy refugee. Happy to provide any more info if needed also.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Unfortunately, it's been exactly two years since I've been to Seoul (one of my absolutely favorite places) - so I cannot offer any COVID-era experience.

That being said, I'm partial to the Park Hyatt provided you are fine with it's COEX location in Gangnam (a bit away from all the touristy/cultural locations in Seoul - but everything is easily accessible via Metro). I just really love the Park Hyatt's style and how they've incorporated many traditional Korean elements into the design - I also think they have some of the best service of any hotel I've visited in Seoul over the years. The Grand Hyatt is in a better location for tourism and business work in downtown Seoul. Service there is good and they have a club lounge (although I believe it's currently operating under modified hours).

I've yet to stay at the Andaz Seoul, but based on what I've read when it opened I probably would have just picked the Park Hyatt again if I needed to bein Gangnam.

Pretty sure all properties (except Hotel28) have a dedicated thread here on FlyerTalk that you can reference for more details.

-FlyerBeek
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Surprisingly, we don't have a good thread that discusses the relative pros/cons all current Hyatt options in Seoul. So, hopefully this thread can ultimately serve that purpose.

For the OP: here are the master threads for the Hyatt properties in Seoul (no thread exists for SLH Hotel28 Myeongdong):
Park Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Grand Hyatt Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Andaz Seoul REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Best

Hardware: Andaz (Newest Hyatt)
Service: PH
F&B outlets: PH
Location: Andaz (subway underneath and plenty of taxis and buses around)
Pool: GH (Only once per day allowed for ourdoor pool though)
Parking: Andaz (Underground and connected to the hotel)

Overall Globalist treatment: PH (usually gives suites and a small Happy Hour at venue of your choice).
Warriorconcept and falcon9xr like this.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 29, 2021 at 9:30 am
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worst

Hardware: GH (cheap renovations)
F&B outlets: Andaz (This is subjective.)
Location: GH (high up on Namsan mountain. Taxi, walk or bus are your only options.
Service: Andaz (too inexperienced and casual)
Pool: Andaz (B2 with no natural light. This is also subjective.)
Parking: GH (outdoors and not connected to the hotel), PH (valet only and outdoors or parking tower)

Globalist treatment: GH (CL only open for meal times. Not upgrading to suites or corner rooms most weekends. A view is considered an upgrade.)
falcon9xr likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 29, 2021 at 9:31 am
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I'm guessing with weekend staycations, suite upgrade chances are really slim over the weekends no matter which property, right?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by falcon9xr
I'm guessing with weekend staycations, suite upgrade chances are really slim over the weekends no matter which property, right?
Yes, although you can confirm in advance using a TSU if a standard suite is available.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
We've stayed in all three for staycations while living in Seoul, during COVID times. Although it was pre-delta wave, and things were a bit more relaxed.

If you have to choose just one I'd pick Park Hyatt. By far the best overall "upscale" feel, it's kind of fun to be near COEX in my opinion because there's so much shopping and so on. If it's just the two of you the COVID restrictions wouldn't apply since the limit is meetups with 2 people at night (if you're vaccinated then you can meet up to 4, however, right now, though you have to make sure you can verify this electronically). We did a weekend FHR staycation and we got upgraded to a higher floor with a spectacular view even as an Explorist. I think there's a better chance of an upgrade than you think because due to COVID there aren't many foreign tourists so you can often get something nice even on weekends right now.

However if you plan to do room service I'd say the Grand Hyatt has the best room service kitchen. The food was astoundingly good for some reason, at least the dishes we tried there. Park Hyatt has a much better breakfast downstairs than the Grand Hyatt buffet breakfast, though. I have to say the rooftop restaurant in the PH didn't wow me that much with the food but the view is amazing. There are other restaurants in the hotel we never tried however.

Of the three for me the Andaz was the least great in terms of the room itself. The hotel has a colder feel and the rooms for me are less luxurious, we had a balcony suite but it was kind of small and on a lower floor (perhaps for safety?) There's a fun little mini-mall in the basement with some food options, though, and it is right in Apgujeong with some very high-end dining and retail all around that area.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Burn any extra TSUs to secure them.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, OZ Diamond
I've stayed at all 3 hotels during COVID as well and if had to personally choose just one, I would choose the Park Hyatt Seoul. I like their hardware the best and they have the best service of the 3 and for Globalists, they have happy hour. During Summer, the Grand Hyatt Seoul has the outdoor pool which is nice but otherwise, I like the Andaz pool the best of the 3 because of the hot tubs and the sauna facilities. I think the Grand Hyatt has the best view facing the river from Mt. Namsan but the Park Hyatt view is quite interesting being at the intersection. After the Park Hyatt, my second choice is probably the Andaz with the Grand Hyatt being 3rd although I might choose the Grand Hyatt during the Summer since the outdoor pool is open.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GH Seoul treats Globalists like ordinary Club room guests. You get your 2 Lounge meals and that's it. You might actually get a Grand high floor club room too.

The Han river views aren't anything much to get excited for. Namsan is better but low floor rooms can get a partial rooftop view.
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

So ended up staying at all three during my time in Seoul.

I would say Aventine hit it right on the head with their takes on which properties are the best and worst in the various categories. My only disagreement is I would hand the worst Globalist treatment to Andaz instead of GH. Admittedly part of my take on this may be folded into the not-so-great level of service that I received at the Andaz during my stay. I found my treatment as a Globalist at the GH to be fair.

I would definitely stay at the PH and the GH again. The Park Hyatt Seoul was the first Park Hyatt I stayed at, and it was a really great experience. I would love to stay there again.
The Andaz Gangnam was the first Andaz I stayed at, and I don't think I'd stay there again unless I had something going on in the immediate neighborhood vicinity that I needed to attend, or the price dropped by a decent amount.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:02 pm

I was just informed the Globalist happy hour is now gone at the PH Seoul, if that makes any difference.
Personally I still think the PH Seoul is the best option in Seoul.
My problem with the GH is its bad location in terms of public transportation - it is really bad if you are planning on using the metro to go to places in Seoul, as it's quite far from the closest metro station.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So ended up staying at all three during my time in Seoul.

I would say Aventine hit it right on the head with their takes on which properties are the best and worst in the various categories. My only disagreement is I would hand the worst Globalist treatment to Andaz instead of GH. Admittedly part of my take on this may be folded into the not-so-great level of service that I received at the Andaz during my stay. I found my treatment as a Globalist at the GH to be fair.

I would definitely stay at the PH and the GH again. The Park Hyatt Seoul was the first Park Hyatt I stayed at, and it was a really great experience. I would love to stay there again.
The Andaz Gangnam was the first Andaz I stayed at, and I don't think I'd stay there again unless I had something going on in the immediate neighborhood vicinity that I needed to attend, or the price dropped by a decent amount.
Good for the badge pickup. Everyone will have different Globalist experiences at any property. My latest one is barely any non TSU suite upgrades...
falcon9xr likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GH Seoul for worst base room showers. Abysmal to not have a temperature mixer, bathtub or rain overhead shower in a fully renovated club room. I’m glad this was a points stay because no one should be paying 400000 won + for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.