Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by oneoldguy
I did $2500 on 6 Chase cards.
Have we figured out when the limit resets yet?
Old May 3, 2013, 6:40 pm

Are you guys using different emails addresses / mailing addresses / ssn's? I just tried on my Priority Club card and got the limit error when I haven't used the card before to buy Chase GC's...

Update - Weird. I had first tried to buy 5x$500 and got the limit problem. Then decided to use Chrome incognito. Tried to buy $1K and it worked. Then bought another $1K and that worked too. Then tried to buy $500 and got the limit error. The only thing I can see what caused the first error is either cookies or I tried to buy too many in the first go-round on the new card.

Last edited by Cbass98; May 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reason: update
Old May 3, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
For those who have done $2,500 on multiple cards, is this $2,500 on each individual card (e.g. 6 cards x $2,500 each = $15,000 total)? Or is this $2,500 total spread across multiple cards? Hoping it is the former!
Old May 3, 2013, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
For those who have done $2,500 on multiple cards, is this $2,500 on each individual card (e.g. 6 cards x $2,500 each = $15,000 total)? Or is this $2,500 total spread across multiple cards? Hoping it is the former!
It is the former.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:45 pm

data point from today: I tried to load BB with meta bank gift cards at WM and get "Debit not approved" error.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by guoguo914
data point from today: I tried to load BB with meta bank gift cards at WM and get "Debit not approved" error.
Look at the transaction history for the gift card if you can. If it's anything like the Vanilla Visa cards by Bancorp Bank, it'll list denials or other problems. One time it didn't work and I was over the daily limit.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jerfer
Look at the transaction history for the gift card if you can. If it's anything like the Vanilla Visa cards by Bancorp Bank, it'll list denials or other problems. One time it didn't work and I was over the daily limit.
It's a MetaBank Visa card. This is the log (weird it says Mastercard):

5/4/2013 purchase_reversal Mastercard Settlement Reversal $100.00 $200.00
5/4/2013 PIN Purchase Wal-Mart Store -$100.00 $100.00
5/4/2013 purchase_reversal Mastercard Settlement Reversal $100.00 $200.00
5/4/2013 PIN Purchase Wal-Mart Store -$100.00 $100.00
Old May 4, 2013, 12:05 pm

I found Visa and MC variable load GC ($25-$500) in the money center at Walmart. This may not be new news, but I was surprised to be charged sales tax on the $4.95 fee. I have not been charged sales tax at any other store before. I have purchased all of my GC in Texas. Anyone else come across this?

EDIT: the Vanilla MC GC did not go thru it said "tender not allowed." The employee was surprised because she thought they worked. I tried to buy the Variable load visa but I got declined due to fraud alert. I did not try to buy a Visa again.

Last edited by rossrr; May 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm Reason: Updating info
Old May 4, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by rossrr
I found Visa and MC variable load GC ($25-$500) in the money center at Walmart. This may not be new news, but I was surprised to be charged sales tax on the $4.95 fee. I have not been charged sales tax at any other store before. I have purchased all of my GC in Texas. Anyone else come across this?
What's the benefit to buying GCs @ WM?
Old May 4, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
Purchase GC and turn around and load right to BB or cash out at register? I like it because charging $1000s a month at Walmart is easy to justify to a bank. Lol
Old May 4, 2013, 12:19 pm

One reason I can think of without giving much thought is meeting spending req. or WM gift card to more useful conversion if it's still allowed.

At a local WM near by, they don't let me buy Vanilla GCs w/ CCs. Oh, yes, other day, I saw University something GCs (I think it was MC) right next to the Vanillas.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Extra points at grocery stores?
Old May 4, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Artemk
Extra points at grocery stores?
Which CCs offer 5x grocery category other than Citi or 3x on PenFed Plat or 2x on BoA/US Bank, etc? I'm not a fan of TY points, so I'm curious.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by rossrr
Purchase GC and turn around and load right to BB or cash out at register? I like it because charging $1000s a month at Walmart is easy to justify to a bank. Lol
Unless you are lucky enough to be getting your WM classified as "grocery" or meeting some spending requirement, can't say I understand. And your WM accepts CC for GC???
Old May 4, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by vagrants
Which CCs offer 5x grocery category other than Citi or 3x on PenFed Plat or 2x on BoA, etc? I'm not a fan of TY points, so I'm curious.
TYP - through Citi Preffered. Hilton is 6x, but it's pointless, since 1 TYP = 1.5 HHonors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.