Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2015 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

right now I have chase (primary), wells fargo, and citi (just opened).
Any recommendation for banks for about 9-12k MO deposit a month? I live in Socal.
Credit unions?
US Bank
Union Bank
Bank of the West
One West
East West
Old May 21, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Are you asking about Chase specifically or some other bank? Chase does a soft pull for accounts. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-a...-or-hard-pull/
Sorry for not making it clear. I wanted to open in other bank (Union bank and trust).
Old May 22, 2015, 10:07 am

Barclays just shut me down. Didn't get a phone call or email. Just logged in to my account on the app and saw I had zero available credit on both my Arrival+ or Aviator Red. Logged in to the website and it stated the account is closed. Had 159k in Arrival miles and 9k AA miles pending. I have a friend that works at Barclays in the CC accounts dept. I'm going to contact him and see if there's anything I can do. Otherwise it looks like there's a Citi DoubleCash in in my future.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ILGfly
Barclays just shut me down. Didn't get a phone call or email. Just logged in to my account on the app and saw I had zero available credit on both my Arrival+ or Aviator Red. Logged in to the website and it stated the account is closed. Had 159k in Arrival miles and 9k AA miles pending. I have a friend that works at Barclays in the CC accounts dept. I'm going to contact him and see if there's anything I can do. Otherwise it looks like there's a Citi DoubleCash in in my future.
How many people just logged into their Barclays account to make sure it was still open ??
Old May 22, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by g1ant
How many people just logged into their Barclays account to make sure it was still open ??
You called it. It seems like the Barclay shutdown posts are happening more and more. It would be nice to have some data points.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:46 am

Can you share what you think is the reason for this? My guess is the 159k is from various gift card purchases.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g1ant
Right on the money!

For Barclays, I really don't see that there is ever a reason to let points sit. I know some people like to "save up" points for specific redemptions, but it's really all fungible with Barclays.

Don't leave your points at risk - just redeem ASAP, always.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosamo
Holy moly.
From what I gather here and elsewhere, I'm a piker.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramamosn
Sorry for not making it clear. I wanted to open in other bank (Union bank and trust).
Try a credit union.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by David_
I believe they got me for churning checking account bonuses. ...
Did you go to one of their branches to clarify the issue or get more details? Maybe they just wanted to verify your identity for the new checking account you had just opened.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
If I had to guess, the issue is people who (A) have a checking account with them and (B) use that account and the Chase CC for MS cycling.
Not necessarily. It happened to someone I know but there was no MS cycling involved at all, not even in the CCs. He did churn some bonuses for checking accounts in the past though.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Can you share what you think is the reason for this? My guess is the 159k is from various gift card purchases.
My average point balance over the last year has been 150-200k so I don't think that's it. Spending on the Arrival card has been slower lately because I've been doing a lot more spending on the AA card. My guess is that was the issue.

Last edited by ILGfly; May 22, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 12:33 pm

I've my average point balance over the last year has been 150-200k so I do t think that's it. Spending on the Arrival card has been slower lately because I've been doing a lot more spending on the AA card. My guess is that was the issue.
AA card meaning aviator card. Are you more than 1x spending on your credit line?
Old May 22, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by doubleheader
AA card meaning aviator card. Are you more than 1x spending on your credit line?
Only one month on the Aviator did I go over 1x. I was usually at least 2x every month on my Arrival for a year.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:42 pm

Only one month on the Aviator did I go over 1x. I was usually at least 2x every month on my Arrival for a year.
Mind to share what credit limit your A+ is?
Old May 22, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
Mind to share what credit limit your A+ is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.