Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Publix No Longer Accepts Gift Cards for Gift Card Purchases???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Stopped by two different Publix stores in the past two weeks, both got denied when using a Publix gift card to purchase a gift card. Thought it was limited to Visa prepaids, but also appears to apply to regular gift cards, too. (Had a cart full of food + 2 groupon gift cards and clerk stopped ENTIRE transaction when I attempted to pay with publix gift card. Manager literally had to come by and cancel the two gift cards, so I am 99% sure it is POS coded to stop you.)

Verifying with other members to see if this is the case.
I did notice they were slowly rolling this out the last couple of months, but didn't think they'd do a full POS stop to it!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Several dozen
Seen the same thing at my Publix.

There is also now a sign in my Publix that they will not let you use a credit card to purchase any gift card over $50 in value.

Originally Posted by foggypastry
Stopped by two different Publix stores in the past two weeks, both got denied when using a Publix gift card to purchase a gift card. Thought it was limited to Visa prepaids, but also appears to apply to regular gift cards, too. (Had a cart full of food + 2 groupon gift cards and clerk stopped ENTIRE transaction when I attempted to pay with publix gift card. Manager literally had to come by and cancel the two gift cards, so I am 99% sure it is POS coded to stop you.)

I did notice they were slowly rolling this out the last couple of months, but didn't think they'd do a full POS stop to it!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta

Well, I guess they are taking the position that this is a form of churning and/or money laundering.

Got to find a different way...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:05 am

I really could've sworn reading somewhere that Publix hasn't allowed purchase of gift cards with credit for a while. I've never tried this myself, though, since I don't shop at Publix... since it's so freaking expensive.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by bo1953
Well, I guess they are taking the position that this is a form of churning and/or money laundering.

Got to find a different way...
More than likely neither, and its a policy derived from fraud issues.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Sipre Elite, Marriott Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Publix only have $100 VGC, why bother.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
More than likely neither, and its a policy derived from fraud issues.
I actually tried complaining (since it looked like I had nothing to lose since they already said "no" at several stores at REGULAR cash registers) - a manager literally came by and said "we've had increased fraudulent activity"

I would expect that really is the truth.......... or if you're in tin foil hat mode, corporate struck down.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

BUMPING TOPIC

Sent email to corporate (not like I'm "ruining" anything considering the higher restrictions being placed around my area) --- according to Publix corporate they sent via email (so it's official AND in writing!!!)

In an effort to reduce the opportunity for gift card fraud, a $50 purchase restriction has been implemented for all gift cards that are purchased with a credit card. Gift card activation fees are excluded from this limit. We apologize for any inconvenience, as it is never our intent to inconvenience our loyal customers.
UNQUOTE

Understandable, but it definitely affects my 5% Supermarket transactions at Publix!

don't say i never gave you nothin' FT ! =)
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:50 pm

Should update thread title to reflect "No longer accepts Publix gift cards to buy other gift cards" or similar.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:34 pm

One of the Publix $20-500s is the Carnival Gift Card. Per Carnival you may redeem multiple gift cards per transaction. Anyone know if there is a limit to the number of Carnival cards that can be used to pay for a cruise? If there is no limit, then Publix policy will not stop Carnival Cruise discounting as you can run repetitive multi-x AMEX card purchases of Carnival $50 gift cards to discount the price of a Carnival cruise.

BUMPING TOPIC

Sent email to corporate (not like I'm "ruining" anything considering the higher restrictions being placed around my area) --- according to Publix corporate they sent via email (so it's official AND in writing!!!)

In an effort to reduce the opportunity for gift card fraud, a $50 purchase restriction has been implemented for all gift cards that are purchased with a credit card. Gift card activation fees are excluded from this limit. We apologize for any inconvenience, as it is never our intent to inconvenience our loyal customers.
UNQUOTE

Understandable, but it definitely affects my 5% Supermarket transactions at Publix!

don't say i never gave you nothin' FT ! =)
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Wow, that seems like it will really affect their sales of the Disney and Universal special event gift cards. They are all over the $50 level.
Plus buying a few large Publix cards on the Freedom Quarter to use later.
Looks like the only good thing left is when they run the $10 coupon off the $50 gas cards with a grocery purchase.

JudyJFLA
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:17 am

Just salami those Publix gift cards into $50 slices for Freedom? Agree that the $10 off gas is a good thing as I like to buy these for ADK, Jr.. Just sent him one before he took off to Europe for a river cruise over spring break.

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Wow, that seems like it will really affect their sales of the Disney and Universal special event gift cards. They are all over the $50 level.
Plus buying a few large Publix cards on the Freedom Quarter to use later.
Looks like the only good thing left is when they run the $10 coupon off the $50 gas cards with a grocery purchase.

JudyJFLA
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Just salami those Publix gift cards into $50 slices for Freedom? Agree that the $10 off gas is a good thing as I like to buy these for ADK, Jr.. Just sent him one before he took off to Europe for a river cruise over spring break.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
What I've heard is that Publix reduced the limit on GC purchase transactions temporarily to $50 because they've yet to install chip card readers and the banks have indicated that they will charge back merchants who have failed to comply with the October 1,'15
Deadline to install and use chip card readers. Publix is risk adverse and has overreacted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.