Prepaying VZ Fios before cancelling?

Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Prepaying VZ Fios before cancelling?

Has anyone ever prepaid several months of a bill and then terminated service? In this specific instance, I'm switching my cable and internet to take advantage of a new customer offer from another provider. The thought crossed my mind to prepay several months of my Verizon Fios bill and earn 3x on my Chase Ink Preferred. When my service is terminated, I'm hoping they would cut me a check instead of issuing a refund to the credit card I paid with.

I recall someone mentioning they did this with State Farm. They prepaid for 1 year, and then switched their insurance and received a check for the pro-rated amount.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mancolt
Has anyone ever prepaid several months of a bill and then terminated service? In this specific instance, I'm switching my cable and internet to take advantage of a new customer offer from another provider. The thought crossed my mind to prepay several months of my Verizon Fios bill and earn 3x on my Chase Ink Preferred. When my service is terminated, I'm hoping they would cut me a check instead of issuing a refund to the credit card I paid with.

I recall someone mentioning they did this with State Farm. They prepaid for 1 year, and then switched their insurance and received a check for the pro-rated amount.
they issued me a prepaid debit card for the credit. it took 3-4 months to get the debit card.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by particlemn
they issued me a prepaid debit card for the credit. it took 3-4 months to get the debit card.
Do you know what bank the debit card was issued through? Aside from the hassle of not getting the funds for a few months (I'd probably end up calling them to see if they can expedite the refund), it seems like that'd be an easy enough way to get a $0 fee "VGC" equivalent card that I could convert to an MO for $0.70 at a WM.

I can't imagine they can say no if you call and ask for your refund immediately once your account is closed. Preferably in the form of a check, but even in prepaid Debit Card.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:53 am

Do you know what bank the debit card was issued through? Aside from the hassle of not getting the funds for a few months (I'd probably end up calling them to see if they can expedite the refund), it seems like that'd be an easy enough way to get a $0 fee "VGC" equivalent card that I could convert to an MO for $0.70 at a WM.

I can't imagine they can say no if you call and ask for your refund immediately once your account is closed. Preferably in the form of a check, but even in prepaid Debit Card.
a co worker who canceled the same month called every week to ask for it to be expedited and we both got the visa gift card the same week.
I dont remember what bank it was issued from.
VZ takes their sweet time. if you can float it then no problem but I would not count on it.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

When I cancelled my FIOS, it took them almost 6 months to refund me my credit.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:45 am

I can't imagine they can say no if you call and ask for your refund immediately once your account is closed.
I can imagine it, as it has happened to many people. This is not a banking institution we are dealing with its a utility.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by particlemn
I can imagine it, as it has happened to many people. This is not a banking institution we are dealing with its a utility.
Fair enough. I won't count on them giving it back in a reasonable amount of time, based on the feedback provided here. It's frustrating that they hold onto customers money that long.

When I talked to the customer service rep today, I was told that I would have my credit refund issued 1 month after the shutoff date. Obviously that was not anyone else's experience though.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:30 am

Sprint, when I cancelled service in 2012, mailed me a check, and it only took 5 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.