Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New aircraft for SAS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
the flexibility of the fleet or of the cabin is a lame marketing excuse not to propose proper seats in C... if you use 2-2 for 3-4 rows in business, you loose 6-8 seats compared to a full eco config. These seats kind of cost in case there are no business passengers and eco is fully full. but usually eco is not full, so no problem, and there are usually real business passengers for which the middle seat is blocked, on at least 1-2 row, so only a loss of 2-6 seats... and eco is usually not full.

Now in case there is a high demand in C... well, SAS has eco extra, so once the 12-16 C seats are sold, passengers are accommodated in eco extra (with guaranteed free middle seat?), like when intercontinental first class connects to a flight without first class availability, or if you fly NYC CPH ARN in C, you also seat in Y on CPH ARN. However, a proper business class seating would most likely incrase loads in C, especially for passengers who need to connect to longer flights.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:50 am
Dag
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ranskis
the flexibility of the fleet or of the cabin is a lame marketing excuse not to propose proper seats in C... if you use 2-2 for 3-4 rows in business, you loose 6-8 seats compared to a full eco config. These seats kind of cost in case there are no business passengers and eco is fully full. but usually eco is not full, so no problem, and there are usually real business passengers for which the middle seat is blocked, on at least 1-2 row, so only a loss of 2-6 seats... and eco is usually not full.

Now in case there is a high demand in C... well, SAS has eco extra, so once the 12-16 C seats are sold, passengers are accommodated in eco extra (with guaranteed free middle seat?), like when intercontinental first class connects to a flight without first class availability, or if you fly NYC CPH ARN in C, you also seat in Y on CPH ARN. However, a proper business class seating would most likely incrase loads in C, especially for passengers who need to connect to longer flights.
I understand your point of view, but I don't think SAS will do it because they will make more money on other options.

A large amount of SAS network consist of domestic and intrascand. routes. There you don't have a blocked middle seat, even for full flex booked in C, D or J.
SAS has 3 options:
-Have a sub-fleet with proper business class, and 2+2 seating in front of the plane for use at some high yield destinations
-Use 2+2 seating in the front of the plane across the entire fleet
-Use 3+3 seating and maybe better pitch in the front.

While I would love one of the first 2 options, I don't see it happen. SAS is going to simplify the fleet, making fuel burn less, scheduling easier and more efficient, and maintenance cost lower. A configuration that is usable across the network is going to be less than perfect on some of the routes (option 1 is not going to happen)
And planes are often full (I've seen it mostly on domestic flights), so those removed 8-10 seats for a 2+2 seating will be a loss (option 2 is not going to happen)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:05 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by another_shot
Wrong country, I guess
Aeroflot, Icelandair, Turkish, now Iberia etc have a business class 2-2 layout on narrowbodies but their network is different. The best I can hope SK will go for transformable C-class like LH or BT.
Turkish not on all destinations though. Have flown lots on BRU-IST and only once had it - but it was very nice though.

I think its a disgrace, that SAS sells the CRJ business without empty seat next to you - LH at least keeps seat free on small 2+2's
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter

Not to forget:

Other cool ideas are here.

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...es%20%28SAS%29
Like the 736 fake to beat the A315
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:50 am

Oh, I didn't know LH used Antonovs

Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: EB*G, BT VIP
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Oh, I didn't know LH used Antonovs

I read somewhere Antonov was considering during Soviet times a pax version of this An-124 freighter, with estimated capacity 800 pax / double deck. Google should know.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: EBG
I agree that the MD-80s have one of the best rides in Europe right now!

The cramped 738s are really uncomfortable, even with the middle seat blocked. Let's hope that SAS stops the slow decline.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
There are also coming to -800 back from lease, which are in ARN at the moment for maintenance.

In addition the ex-Braathen -700 will be rebuilt so "SAS-standard" and the same applies to the 3 awful -800 that are in Air Europe configuration
Old Mar 26, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: Eurobonus Pandion, Flying Blue, Thon, Sixt Car Rental, Hilton Honors, A-Club
I had three SAS trips yesterday, one with the CRJ900, one with the good old MD80, and the last with LN-RRG, 737-800 with the Air Europe seats. The latter is terrible! Even when sitting on row 2. I prefer the MD80. Being seated in 1F on the old Braathen 737-400 is one of the best options. But since we pay for a seat and not for space, we probably will have to get use to the lack of space. I do hope SAS will end up with the Airbus series for the medium haul routes, I really like the A320s better than the 737s.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Someone whispered in my ear that there's a plan to replace the Airbus widebody fleet with Boeing 787's - great news! ^
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by hanswest
...... and the last with LN-RRG, 737-800 with the Air Europe seats. The latter is terrible! Even when sitting on row 2.
Those three planes with Air Europe seats are just awful, but from what I'm hearing the seats will be changed when the planes are in for heavy check, although I don't know when
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: SK EBS
Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Someone whispered in my ear that there's a plan to replace the Airbus widebody fleet with Boeing 787's - great news! ^
I really hope this will happen! More planes and more destinations!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ha ha... so SK will again buy overpriced aircraft at the wrong moment?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
I can't see this happening at all, not really at this time. Maybe adding another A330 or used A340. SAS current focus is to streamline their narrowbody fleet and return to profitability. And then there is the question about ownership and strategy before the decision about the future longhaul fleet...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ha ha... so SK will again buy overpriced aircraft at the wrong moment?
Could be so but the 787 won't be ready for a long time.

Btw,

I was at FRA the other day and noticed both Air China and China Southern used A330. Why is it that SK can't use A330 to China? I understand that with the current fleet it's not possible but why did they acquire 4 330 and 7 340 in the first place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.