FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Walt Disney World Swan - Orlando [Master Thread]
Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:46 pm
AZ Travels the World
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Trip Report: Nice stay at the Swan

I was in Orlando on business and chose to stay here to combine the trip with a little fun at WDW. I was impressed with my stay.

I received a Platinum upgrade to a very large, beautiful two-room suite. The suite, a "Grand Suite," was set up with connecting rooms on both ends, one room with a King bed and the other with two Queen beds. The suite had a large plasma TV with sofa and chairs in one half, and a dining room, sitting 8-10 people, in the other half. There was an attached service room with a bar, refrigerator, coffee maker, etc.

The check-in agent noted that I had already been upgraded to "a very nice suite -- much larger than the studio suites which are typically provided to Platinum members." In fact, I was traveling with a friend who is also a Platinum member, and he had already been upgraded to the identical Grand Suite, just one floor below mine. So it was at least two Platinum members who received such a gracious upgrade that night. ^

It was apparent that the rooms had been recently been renovated. It has been a few years since I stayed here and remember them being not particularly remarkable. I thought the current style, relatively typical, but localized Westin 'modern luxury,' was very comfortable and stylish. Nice blend of form and function.

Even if I had not been upgraded to the suite, the King room was quite nice, as it contained a full sized sofa sleeper, which would be suitable for children.

The bath products were Bath & Body Works, which I've not seen in a Westin hotel before.

Valet parking was prompt. It cost $16 per night. There's also a charge for self-parking, but I don't recall what it is. It was pouring down rain when I arrived, so the Valet was a bargain at any price. I just stayed with it for the rest of the stay.

Ate one evening at Kimono's, the Japanese restaurant. Found it to be adequate, but not extraordinary in any way. Expensive for the overall quality, in my view.

Had drinks and appetizers multiple times at Il Mulino, the Italian restaurant. Very comfortable bar, with some nice sofa seating areas. Sampled a fair amount from the menu, which we found enjoyable, but again, not extraordinary.

Transport between the WDW attractions is mixed. To Epcot, the Boardwalk and Disney Hollywood Studios, you can take the water shuttle that picks you up right behind the hotel, between the Swan and the Dolphin. This was very convenient and frequent. Transport to the Magic Kingdom and Disney's Animal Kingdom was by bus. Perhaps because it wasn't a particularly busy time, the buses came very infrequently, too much so.

I got a variety of stories from front desk personnel regarding the possibility of a Platinum late check out, from, "We no longer provide that," to "No problem." I spoke with the front desk manager who clarified that, as a resort property, it is extended up until 4 PM, when they can do it based upon occupancy. We had no problem getting 4 PM.

All in all, the Swan exceeded my expectations. I will return.