FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SKYMILES CHANGES Q&A
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:07 pm
Official SkyMiles Helper

Programs: Delta
Q&A - January 3rd

Good Afernoon,

Below find our answers to questions submitted before the new year holiday. I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

Best regards,
OSH

Will we be able to upgrade to Hawaii with our complimentary upgrades? Any changes to PMU terms and conditions?

• Complimentary upgrades are not valid for travel to/from Hawaii. We are, however, looking at the Hawaii upgrade program and you should hear more about this in the coming months.

• There are no changes to PMUs for Platinum Medallions. They continue to be valid for travel on most Delta flights worldwide. For travel within or between the 50 United States, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico, upgrades are valid on any published fare booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, or K class. For all other international travel, upgrades are valid on any published fare in Y, B, or M class.
Will 75 segments qualify next year for platinum also will Silvers and Golds ever get upgrade coupons to Europe and Asia every 20k like before?

• Platinum Medallion qualification for 2006 will be based on 75,000 MQMs (Medallion Qualification Miles) earned between January 1 – December 31, 2005.

• There are no current plans to implement system-wide upgrades based on flight activity, however, we plan to offer individualized, special additional incentives to reward Medallions for their continued loyalty to Delta.

Can you stand by on award tickets on a different day with no fee?

• No, however, if an earlier or later Delta flight has seats available you may be confirmed for a $50 fee.

Originally Posted by Official SkyMiles Helper
...My last post was correct in that all YBM upgrades will be processed first and based on timestamp, independent of tier. For example, a GM booking in M today would clear before a PM booking in Y tomorrow. ....

I think this is a terrible policy. Why would Delta clear an FO on a M fare before a PM on a Y fare? Can you explain Delta's thinking of not doing this? I would suggest you consider putting the Medallion tier before timestamp. All other airlines I know of do this.

• We reviewed every aspect of the SkyMiles program and spent months reviewing extensive customer and employee feedback, including customer and employee focus groups. As a result, we felt it was important to provide all Medallion members purchasing higher fares with the ability to upgrade at the time of booking.

The application for the Platinum Amex SKyMiles card no longer mentions the 10,000 miles awarded every year if you charge over $25,000 let alone indicate that these are MQM. Has this benefit actually been lost? My renewal date is in April. As I renewed my card last April because of this benefit, will I receive the 10000 MQM this one last time? Does this only apply to new applications now and renewals after our next renewal date? Comparing 2004 to 2005, the PM qualification level dropped from 100K to 75K. HOWEVER, losing the carryover (15K last year), the Amex 10K, AND decreasing the 750 minimum back to 500 seems to make it a lot harder for us southeast short haul flyers to make PM in the future. Was this the intention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq
OSH:

The application for the Platinum Amex Skymiles card no longer mentions the 10,000 miles awarded every year if you charge over $25,000 let alone indicate that these are MQM. Has this benefit actually been lost? My renewal date is in April. As I renewed my card last April because of this benefit, will I receive the 10000 MQM this one last time? Does this only apply to new applications now and renewals after our next renewal date?

Comparing 2004 to 2005, the PM qualification level dropped from 100K to 75K. HOWEVER, losing the carryover (15K last year), the Amex 10K, AND decreasing the 750 minimum back to 500 seems to make it a lot harder for us southeast short haul flyers to make PM in the future. Was this the intention?

Marc

I second these questions.....I would like to hear what OSH has to say re the Plat Amex card 10,000 mqm annual credit ....I think this is a 2005 Delta issue, not just an Amex issue......Note in link below how it says 10000 SKYMILES, NOT MQM.......<http://www66.americanexpress.com/ca...02090716192/0/n>. I also agree that the new program has made it more difficult for the short haul flyers to regain Plat status for 2006-7....echoing Marq....Was this the intention?

American Express

• There have been no changes to the American Express SkyMiles program so you should continue to receive the same benefits as 2004. We have passed this information along to the appropriate parties to ensure we are providing consistent information to our customers.

PM Status for Short Haul Flyers

We recognize that each Medallion member may be affected differently by the changes and are aware that there is a small but very important population of Medallions who may not benefit from the changes. We are monitoring these groups and will address this situation throughout next year.