FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - THE JOURNEY CONTINUES: From the Bottom of South America to the Top of Australia
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:30 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I’ve been receiving a number of requests of late for directions to more of my Trip Reports. Here they are with a brief description of the contents. Bored? There are over 1000 pages here. Just click on the highlighted title. Happy reading.

TWA FIRST CLASS DEN-JFK 1972 ~ The Good Old Days

What started out as a simple post of a menu from a TWA flight of 30 years ago evolved into a forum for many flyers to reminisce about their experiences from the “Good Old days” of commercial aviation.

FIRST CLASS ON AMTRAK’S COAST STARLIGHT

The Coast Starlight is the finest train in Amtrak’s system. Here’s my first ever report about riding this train from a First Class perspective

DENVER TO HONOLULU VIA CANADA IN 1976 (On a trip that was supposed to go to Mexico)

I thought I was going to Mexico and had the tickets in hand to do just that. Two hours later, I was booked into a First Class seat aboard a Qantas 747 on my way to Hawaii. But that’s only the beginning. The journey continues on to Alaska, New York and back to Hawaii before finally returning home to Colorado at Summer’s end.

DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA

Travels between Colorado and Alaska aboard a wide variety of airlines and aircraft. Five of the airlines no longer exist and most of the aircraft have long since been scrapped.

EP's MILEAGE RUN ~ AN AMERICAN ODYSSEY

My first ever Flight Report. A pretty typical jaunt around the country a few times, all in the pursuit of miles. I had lots of fun writing this in the early days of Post-911 travel.

ALASKA AIRLINES FIRST CLASS ~ SEA-ANC

This is a continuation of the above thread

SEATTLE TO ANCHORAGE ~ Detailssss

My spoof on some of the incredibly detailed Trip Reports I’d seen published at FlyerTalk three years ago.

14 Flights, 17000 Miles FAI-SFO-MCO-SEA-MCO-FAI in First and Coach on AS & UA

My last Mileage Run on United before many of United’s nicer First Class services disappeared for good.

ALASKA TO NEW ZEALAND ~ THE LONG WAY

One of my all-time favorite trips ~ First Class aboard British Airways for the first time, across to London, Singapore and on to Melbourne before connecting to Air New Zealand’s excellent trans-Tasman Business Class to Auckland and on to Christchurch. Over 20,000 miles in four days.

NEW ZEALAND TRAIN ADVENTURE ~ Christchurch to Greymouth Aboard The Tranz Alpine

Travel via New Zealand’s Tranz Alpine from Christchurch across the South Island to Greymouth.

CHRISTCHURCH TO MELBOURNE WITH NZ & UA

The title says it all. This trip included an op-upgrade to Business Class on United’s 747-400 between AKL and MEL.

FROM THE NORTHWESTERN PACIFIC TO THE SOUTHWESTERN PACIFIC

In the middle of my trip to New Zealand, I made a quick trip back to Alaska. Now I had to get back to New Zealand. Travel aboard Alaska Airlines, Amtrak, United and Qantas are highlighted.

TE ANAU to TASMANIA via DC-3, 737, 767 and 717

A surprise flight aboard a DC-3, hitching a ride with some crazy Germans, being mistaken for a famous marathoner, Business Class meal service aboard a 25 minute jet flight from Queenstown up to Christchurch, and fine inflight service aboard aging 767-200 aircraft across the Tasman Sea to Australia where a shiny new 717-200 awaits to get me down to Tasmania.

TASMANIA TO ALASKA - via FINLAND!

My first ever visit to Finland, but first I must get there – First Class aboard British Airways via Singapore and London, then an SAS MD-90 and an Air Botnia Avro RJ-85 (Bae-146-200) into Helsinki. Travel back to Alaska involves First Class Suite aboard GE powered 777-200 to Washington, DC, followed by first experiences with Alaska’s First Class trans-con over to Seattle. Finally, a flight aboard the 3000th 737 ever produced back up to Alaska.

VANCOUVER TO LAS VEGAS – via Plane, Train, Bus, Boat and Newfoundland

Starting in Vancouver aboard an ancient ex-Canadian Airlines 767-300, the journey continues across Canada via Toronto and Halifax and on to St. Johns, Newfoundland - the easternmost community in North America. Travel from St. Johns back to Montreal takes 51 hours and incorporates a bus across Newfoundland, an overnight ferry over to Nova Scotia and a First Class bedroom aboard ViaRail’s crack streamliner “The Ocean” for the twenty hour journey into Montreal. As if that weren’t enough, I then head out to the Montreal airport for Economy class travel aboard Continental down to Las Vegas.

SIX DAYS OF WINING AND DINING ABOVE AMERICA AND CANADA

Seventeen flights on five airlines all over the continent, including one with Mary Tyler Moore. Lots of First Class.

NOTES FROM THE OVERFED ~ What's Cookin' at AS & NW This Month

Weekend breaks from my job in Alaska to take advantage of really cheap Mileage runs down to Houston and one Airline Collectibles convention down in Los Angeles. Mostly First Class.

THE GREAT AUTUMN MILEAGE RUN OF 2002

The first of the big Autumn Mileage Runs ~ 34,880 miles around America on Northwest, Continental and Delta. Total cost to me for the airline tickets: $852.00. Total mileage accrued: 140,610 miles.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ 2 weeks, 23 flights and 19790 miles around America and Alaska

Twenty three flights on six different airlines, including many dinner flights aboard Alaska Airlines First Class when the catering was so good that even other airlines talked about it!

SEATTLE TO HELSINKI AND BACK FOR ONLY $95.00

Back in November 2001, British Airways offered – either by design or accident – a $20.00 round trip fare between any of its western US gateways to any city in Europe. Here’s what how I discovered the fare and the trip that followed.

Further Ruminations on the BA World Traveler Plus Experience

A continuation of the above report

A WEEKEND JAUNT WITH NORTHWEST ~ DEN-LEX-DEN

A short Mileage Run taking the long way from Denver to Lexington. Lots of First Class upgrades and very nice service made this a memorable trip.

Further Thoughts on Coach Passengers Using The First Class Lavatories

What started out as my response to a debate at the Alaska Air Forum regarding whether Economy Class passengers should be allowed unfettered access to the First Class lavatory became fairly spicy with many weighing in their views.

DENVER TO SACRAMENTO ABOARD CALIFORNIA’S CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR

If you like riding trains, especially around the American West, you might like this report. I even get to stay in a mansion in Sacramento

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ 106,000 miles via plane, train, boat, bus, truck and thumb

106,000 miles, 110 pages and 65,918 words about traveling via plane, train, boat, bus, truck and thumb through America, Canada, Alaska, Australia, Finland, a music festival in Florida and a Red Sox game at Fenway Park in Boston.

FROM TUNDRA TO TROPICS ~ FAI - MIA in First Class Aboard Alaska Airlines

A weekend with nothing to do in Alaska turned into a round trip First Class jaunt down to the Florida tropics courtesy of a bump ticket from Alaska Airlines.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ In Pursuit of Bonus Miles

Back in Autumn of 2003, Alaska Air Group offered its Mileage Plan members a chance to earn 100,000 free miles. The catch? You had to fly at least thirty-five separate flights between October and the end of November. I did that and then some. Lots of flights aboard smaller propeller and regional jets.

FAIRBANKS TO KALGOORLIE - THE LONG WAY

Describes my First Class trip from Alaska to Australia via Los Angeles, London and Singapore, including a bump from British Airways’ flight out of LAX that resulted in my getting to sample American’s First Class Flagship Suites aboard it’s new 777-200 between Los Angeles and London. From Melbourne, the journey continues across to Perth aboard a Qantas A330-200, followed by a rail journey across the Western Australian hills and desert to the gold mining center of Kalgoorlie.

FROM TASMANIA TO SOUTH AFRICA – In A Roundabout Way

Description of an eleven day journey that began with First Class travel from Tasmania back to Alaska via Singapore, London and Los Angeles, then on to San Francisco and New York-JFK for a turnaround into a First Class seat aboard Cathay Pacific’s 747-400 back across the continent to Vancouver. A flight on Canadian low fare success West Jet into Edmonton is followed by a First Class rail journey aboard ViaRail’s famous “Canadian” back across the Canadian Rockies to Vancouver. Six hours later I’m back in Seat 2A aboard Cathay’s long range A340-300 for the thirteen hour flight across the Pacific to Hong Kong, connecting to another thirteen hour flight across south Asia and the Indian Ocean to South Africa. A flight aboard Kulula Air down to Durban is followed by First Class journeys aboard the South African Railways’ “Trans Natal” back up to Jo’Berg and the “Alcoa” down to Port Elizabeth.

WINDHOEK TO SWAKOPMUND ABOARD THE DESERT EXPRESS ~ Luxury Train Travel Across Namibia

A First Class all suite luxury train trip from the Namibian capitol city of Windhoek across the Namib Desert to the Atlantic coast town of Swakopmund.

FROM NAMIBIA TO NEVADA

Travel from Namibia by train down through South Africa where I fly my first ever A340-600 with SAA before returning to Cathay Pacific’s First Class from Jo’Berg back to New York via Hong Kong and Vancouver. A pair of American DC-9-80s deliver me to Nevada.

DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA

Memories from a 1979 trip involving a lot of airlines, aircraft and service standards that no longer exist today.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN - 108,000 Miles Around America on Planes, Trains and Automobiles

A bunch or Mileage Runs with Northwest, Alaska, Horizon, and American wrapped around a drive from Alaska down to Montana, a First Class rail journey aboard Amtrak’s Coast Starlight and a music festival in Florida.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN - Three Weeks of Mileage Running around America

Life aboard American, Alaska, Northwest and Continental Airlines during a mega-Mileage Run back and forth between Denver and Florida

FROM LARAMIE TO LONDON (and on to Melbourne) ~ First Class on AS & BA

Spur of the moment travel in First Class luxury aboard British Airways 747s from the US to Australia via London and Singapore.

MORE CHAMPAGNE, SIR? ~ Life and times in BA's First Class Between Australia and California

This trip starts in Perth with a flight aboard Virgin Atlantic to Melbourne. The journey continues from Seat 2A aboard British Airways from Melbourne to London to San Francisco.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From the Top of North America to the Bottom of South America

Travel from Alaska all the way down to the very tip of South America via First and Business Class with Alaska and LAN Chile. Also included are accounts of luxury bus travel around Argentina along with a four day ferry trip down through Chile’s Inside Passage.

THE JOURNEY CONTINUES: From the Bottom of South America to the Top of Australia

Continuing from Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world, I fly fly a variety of LAN Chile aircraft (Business Class) through six South American cities back to Miami. On to Alaska for a change of clothing, then down to Vancouver Island for a 24-hour ferry trip up to Prince Rupert, BC. ViaRail's "Skeena" provides the transport over to Prince George, AC to YVR, then First Class aboard Cathay Pacific daytime flights to Hong Kong and Sydney. Virgin Blue to Adelaide is followed by a ride on the world's only South to north transcontinental train trip aboard "The Ghan" up to Darwin.

FIRST CLASS TRAVEL FROM AUSTRALIA TO AMERICA (via HONG KONG)

First Class on Cathay Pacific ~ twenty one hours of life in the lap of luxury.

FROM FLORIDA TO ALASKA via Planes, Trains, Cars, Ferries and Churchill, Manitoba

The title pretty much says it all. Included are roundtrip travel on ViaRail's train from Winnipeg to Churchill and three days "driving" the Alaska Marine Highway between Prince Rupert, BC and Skagway, Alaska

British Airways First Class Inflight Dining – The Trip Report

Descriptive account of First Class travel between Phoenix and Melbourne, Australia on British Airways. This means travel via London and Singapore. Lots of pictures of fine BA inflight cuisine.

FOUR DAYS AND 25,610 MILES FROM NEW ZEALAND TO HAWAII (via BA FIRST)

First Class travel from the South Pacific to Hawaii the long way via British Airways through Singapore, London and Los Angeles before connecting on to Hawaii via Northwest

Planes, Trains and Automobiles Around North America

Starting with a drive around the Desert Southwest, continuing on to Florida, Nova Scotia and on down to Mexico with First Class train travel through three countries and some flights on obscure airlines. A fun trip.

Dear Diary ~ Random Thoughts and Observations From Three Weeks of Flying Around America

The title pretty much says it all. This was a mega-Mileage Run

From One Extreme To Another ~ Adak, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina

Travels by plane, train and bus (Business or Executive Class most all of the way!) between Adak, Alaska (Located way out in the western Aleutian Islands) and Ushuaia, Argentina (Located way down at the bottom of South America)

LAN Business Class From Argentina to Miami

The title pretty much says it all. The highs and lows of Business Class travel on LAN Chile

Fast As Freedom On Good Wind ~ Travels Around The West via Air, Rail & Road

What could have been a simple round trip from Alaska to Colorado turns into a 10,500 mile adventure including a First Class ride aboard Amtrak's California Zephyr.

Further Tales of First Class Decadence as Experienced On British Airways

“Good evening, Sir. May I offer you something to drink? A glass of Champagne, perhaps?”
Welcome to the world of International First Class travel as practiced by British Airways. With all the attention being given to the next generation of First Class suites and services as offered by airlines like Singapore, Emirates and India’s Jet Airways, how does BA’s service stack up? Is it still worth paying the big bucks for? I’ll report on my recent experience and let you be the judge.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ From Alice Springs, NT to Tecopa Springs, CA

Travel continues via plane, train and automobile from one remote corner of the planet to another.

MY 1000th FLIGHT ON A 737 (And Other Aviation Milestones)

Have you ever wondered how many times you've flown? Or how many of those flights have been on a particular type of jet or airline? I've logged all of my flights since I was just six years old. Here are some of the more entertaining statistics.

Winter Wanderings Around America by Plane And Train

The title says it all... Eight airlines, one national railroad and a variety of First and Coach Class travel

ON THE ROAD AGAIN ~ Spring Travels Above And Around North America

Seven airlines, a couple of trans-con mileage runs and a nice mixture of First Class and Coach travel

Miles and Milestones from 2 Weeks of Flying Around America

From the Desert Southwest to the shores of Tampa Bay - and many points in between - this report covers flights on a variety of airlines along with certain milestones such as flying my 169th flight on Northwest, which just happens to also be my 250th flight on a 757 and my 4000th flight overall.

Tales From The Troposphere ~ Random Thoughts & Observations on 3 Weeks of Air Travel

Tales of travel all over America interspersed with schedules and reminiscing from flights forty years ago

6 Trains on 6 Continents ~ Connected by 44 Flights on 14 Airlines ~ PART 1

A fantastic journey incorporating primarily First and Business Class travel with premium class train travel. Part 1 covers First Class train rides in the United States, Scotland and Africa along with First Class air travel on Cathay Pacific. Flights with American, flyBE, Aer Lingus, Mango and 1Time are also covered

6 Trains on 6 Continents ~ Connected by 44 Flights on 14 Airlines ~ PART 2

The journey continues from Hong Kong down to Australia with extreme budget accommodations in Singapore and Australia contrasted with Premium Class train travel through Western Australia and Malaysia. Cathay Pacific First Class gets us back to North America followed by LAN Airlines Business Class down to Argentina where a ride aboard the third highest railroad in the world awaits.

Dispatches From The Railways, Roadways, Runways and Marine Highways of North America

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Traveling From -23°F to +27°C in Style

First Class all the way from the chilly climes of Interior Alaska to the warm and sunny city of Cape Town, South Africa. We'll fly from Alaska to Johannesburg via Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, then relocate to a room aboard South Africa's Premiere Class train for the 25 hour journey to Cape Town.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From The Bottom of Africa to The Top of Alaska

It's a long trip, one best appreciated from the comfort of a First Class suite.

AUTUMN PERIGRINATIONS - 50000 Miles of Air and Rail Travel Around America

Wintertime Travels & Tribulations ~ Through The Last Frontier by Air, Land and Sea

Not For The Faint Hearted ~ 82 Flights and 87830 Miles of Mileage Running

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Another Boring Trip Report on Cathay to South Africa

Cookin’ Up An Adventure: Traveling From Cape Town to Chicago in Style

THE GREAT AFFAIR IS TO MOVE - Travels by Plane, Train, Boat & Car Around America

MY WEEKEND JAUNT TO CALIFORNIA - All 23000 Miles of it!

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on a SAAB 340 and other great flights!

ALL ABOARD: A Photographic Rail Adventure Through The American West

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Spending My Hard Earned Miles on The Suite Life

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Strolling Down Memory Lane Between London and Sydney in 1969

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Alaska to Singapore and Back via Argentina and Dubai

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Seeing America from "See Level"

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: Goin' Where The Climate Suits My Clothes

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 11, 2016 at 2:57 pm