FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ for Southwest and Rapid Rewards
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
2. Why doesn't Southwest offer assigned seats?

a. (cabinpressure) Gate agents at legacy carriers seem to spend most of their time dealing with seat assignments, first-class upgrades, and standby requests. Southwest eliminates the first two and gets extra revenue for doing the third one (full-fare only). Eliminating assigned seats also provides an incentive to show up early rather than crush the gate counter at the last minute.

b. (4thplz) The main check-in lines (for passengers with baggage) move MUCH faster because there is no need to choose a seat. Southwest's lines move at least twice as fast as any other airline's. (nsx) Curbside check-in lines may look shorter but the longer lines inside are likely to serve you more quickly.

c. (JS) Seat assignments on multiple-stop flights are a pain to deal with. If you assign seats based on seats open for both flights, very quickly all the seats are "taken", even though there are seats open for both flights, just not the same ones. If you have different seat assignments, you have to get up and move to the other seat during the layover. With a 25 or 30 minute turn, there isn't much time for a bunch of people to play musical chairs between deplaning and boarding.

d. (nsx) People who don't know the system tend to line up as soon as the first one or two start a line. Lines have a psychological attraction "If those people think it's worth lining up for, they must know something I don't know!" The boarding process uses human nature (both herd instinct and competitive behavior) to shorten the turnaround time. The mildly competitive boarding process saves me a total of at least 10 hours per year.

Travelers who have not flown Southwest since Summer 2002 will be surprised at how calm and orderly boarding is these days. Passengers line up neatly in 3 lanes. There is none of the crowding that was common in the old days and that is still common on carriers. Southwest's nifty lane dividers are the critical innovation, and keeping the number of groups down to 3 is essential to making this system work and avoiding pushing.

e. (kerflumexed) A few more advantages of open seating: Not having assigned seats in the computer and the IT people to support the software and hardware $$$$;, No seat dupes for the ops agent to resolve; Imagine how long it would take to check bags outside at LAS!: Easier airplane swaps such as 500 or 200 for a 300/700; If a seat is out of service, no problem . Also, the passengers feel like "we are all in this together".

f. (Tino) What I -do- have a problem with is other airlines that have decreed that, one month in advance, the seats are under "airport control", and that you have a very little chance of getting an aisle seat. At least on the Big Orange Bus I always have a chance. That's why I prefer SW over the Little Six for long hauls.

g. (MIKEM) The WN quick turn around system is better for WN. That impacts us indirectly with costs, etc. For a long time this boarding process was an undesirable experience. However, WN has made improvements that negate the need to stand in lines if you know them. Now, if one is savvy, the experience is not undesirable. Thanks to many at this board, I have become educated and no longer deal with hassles I used to hate. I do however, look at most of the WN flyers and think, "why do you stand in that stupid line at the gate for 45+ minutes when you have an A boarding pass." These savvy insights you all have passed on to me have made me an unofficial elite WN flyer. I hardly stand in line at all now, even if there is a huge one. I get my required aisle seat every time. I get over head storage for both my roll board and suitcase every time.

h. (nsx) Many WN passengers have learned how to play the open seating game, and would strenuously object to a change to assigned seating. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 13, 2005 at 3:29 pm