FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ for Southwest and Rapid Rewards
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
22. Can I still get a paper award ticket? I want to sell it to someone I don't know on eBay.

a. (nsx) As of October 1, 2004, you can no longer have an electronic award be converted to a paper award and mailed to you. Moreover, whether an award is paper or electronic, the Rapid Rewards people can easily check the last names of who has been flying on your awards. If you earn 20 awards and they are used by 20 different people flying 20 different routes... well, you do the math. Also, awards sold to ticket brokers are often used to fly immigrants who have entered the US illegally from the southwest to the northeastern US. You probably don’t want your Rapid Rewards account to be associated with such flights.

b. (nsx) Hazards of buying and selling on ebay include: The recipient of the award must make the initial reservation, but anyone knowing the record locator can make a change to it. If the ticket is cancelled by someone who knows the record locator or if the flight is cancelled, the award is returned to the account of the original recipient. eBay can and will cough up personal user information (name/address/phone #) to any company that requests it, even if they have not done a transaction with you.

c. (no1_swa_flyer) Mr. Mileage was served with a cease and desist letter from SWA to stop the sale of Rapid Rewards. They ignored and SWA proceeded to sue them - then they finally stopped. Rumor has it that they were booking well over 100 tickets a day for large sized immigration attorneys. The ticket sales are indeed watched by SWA. 90% of broker sales are used to move illegal workers to different states. Be careful to who you sell your tickets to!

d. (lbbzman) Also, another DFW-area brokerage (I'll spare the name) is out of the business. As far as I know, RR was almost all of their business.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 20, 2005 at 12:33 pm