FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ for Southwest and Rapid Rewards
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
29. What airport navigation tricks apply to Southwest?

a. (nsx) Check your bags inside, not at the curb. The inside lines are served by many employees, and they move much faster than the shorter outside lines. I don't know why passengers haven't figured this out.

b. (nsx) At OAK, if you are running late, go to the security checkpoint in Terminal 1. They have a priority line on the right side that will accept you if your flight departs in less than 30 minutes. This will get you to your gate within 15 minutes. To get to Terminal 2 gates, turn left behind the frozen yogurt stand 60 feet beyond the checkpoint. Incidentally, the Terminal 2 security lines move quickly. In my experience the Terminal 2 lines are less than 30 minutes long even when they extend all the way across baggage claim.

c. (nsx) At LAX, there is a no-baggage check-in line at the left if you can't use Internet check-in or the kiosks. Also, if the security checkpoint line gets long (15 minutes = halfway to Terminal 2 on the sidewalk), an express lane is typically opened on the left side of the main line. If your flight leaves in 30 minutes or less, you are probably eligible to use this line.

d. (various) The Las Vegas shortcut (mini-checkpoint for security) has been closed.

e. (rove312) New restrooms are now open in WN's main gate areas at MCI, both gates 31-35 and gates 37-41.

f. (Mr. July) Do not get off the plane at MCI to use the bathroom (currently applies to gates 37-41 only). You will have to clear security to get back on.

g. (yetter) I practically live at DAL and use the "secret" TSA line everyday. The main line moves pretty quickly, but when you need to rush, head towards the baggage claim and take the escalators up. There is a second security checkpoint upstairs that almost never has a line. Lets me park 20 minutes before the flight and still get a seat.

h. (cxn) In Seattle, you can use the 'Elite' Security line using your Rapid Rewards Cards at some of the security lines.

i. (rove312) If transferring at MCI, by default when you deplane you go straight ahead a few steps, past a glass wall, and you've left the secure area; you would need to go through security again to get your connecting flight. If your connecting flight goes from the same holding area, you can avoid this, but it isn't easy to tell this while you're in the holding area; there are no monitors with gate information in the area. Before you leave on your trip, you're advised to find the gate numbers for your arriving and departing flights at www.southwest.com or www.flykci.com . WN's secure areas cover gates 31-35 and 37-41. If both gates are in the same area, don't go past the glass wall; you can simply turn towards your connecting gate (as you deplane, gate numbers to the right are higher). If, for example, you arrive at gate 34 and leave from 37, you'll need to exit the holding area and go through security for your departing gate. Between 33 and 34, security takes most of the space, but there is a passageway along the airside window connecting the gates.

j. (tjl) At PDX, the express lane for security shows a bunch of airline frequent flyer cards that will let you in. One of the pictured cards is a Southwest Rapid Rewards card. (The sign does not say whether the frequent flyer card has to match the boarding pass.)

Last edited by nsx; Jun 24, 2006 at 4:47 pm