FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ for Southwest and Rapid Rewards
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
36. Do I need 100 flight credits to earn a Companion Pass (CP)? Can use the CP in conjunction with a free ticket? If I can't make good use of the CP, can I trade it for something else?

a. (nsx) You can earn a Companion Pass by accumulating 100 credits from any source (including Diners Club and Amex Membership Rewards transfers) within any one-year period (not calendar year). The Companion Pass allows you to bring the designated person along with you for free (paying only the Security Fee), even if you are traveling on a free ticket! For some people, this essentially doubles the value of their free tickets. Think of it as a 100% bonus for reaching this elite level.

b. (nsx) You can speed the issuance of your CP by not waiting until SWA mails you a notification postcard. As soon as you have the 100 credits, the web site will allow you to designate a companion after you log in to your Rapid Rewards account. You will then receive the CP within about a week.

c. (Tino) The CP is valid for 13 months. They give you the whole month of the issuance and the whole month of the expiration as well. For example, if they issue it in April 2003 it expires May 1, 2004. This is great if you are renewing a companion pass - my expiration month moves by one month forward every year.

d. (nsx) You can speed up changing your companion by faxing RR a copy of your cut-up CP along with a letter requesting a different companion name.

e. (ejmelton) Two of the three most important ladies in my life (Mrs. And Ms) wanted to go with me on two different trips during October. (I guess that I didn’t go anywhere that Mom wanted to go.) As a result, I had to change companions twice during the month.

Saturday September 10. Finished trip with Mrs.
Sunday September 11 Called SWA Rapid Rewards to get mailing address (not P.O.Box)
Monday September 12 Sent existing CP card and letter via UPS
Tuesday September 13 (10:29 am) SWA received Mrs.’ CP card
Wednesday… I checked SWA web site each afternoon for CP name change
Friday September 16 CP name change on Internet. Made Ms’ Reservation
Friday September 23 New CP card arrived snail mail
Sunday October 2 Finished trip with Ms.
Monday October 3 Sent CP card and letter via UPS. Begged for speed (see below)
and included return UPS label
Tuesday October 4 (10:29 am) SWA received Ms’ CP card (UPS is consistent!)
Wednesday… I checked SWA web site each afternoon for CP name change
Friday October 7 CP name change on Internet
Tuesday October 11 New CP card arrived snail mail
Friday October 14 Left with my new CP, Mrs.

While I would not recommend this maneuver and will always try to give SWA the three weeks that is suggested, it’s great to know that they can turn these requests around so effectively.

BTW, even though we changed the CP companion, reservations made under the original companion were not affected.

f. (nsx) Prior to 2005, SWA would typically provide an alternative to the CP on request. (PM me for details if you are curious, but it's moot now.) Current SWA policy is not to provide an alternative to the CP. You can ask, but the answer is virtually guaranteed to be "no".

Last edited by nsx; Oct 19, 2005 at 10:14 pm