FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ for Southwest and Rapid Rewards
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
39. What are the weight and number limitations for checked baggage? What happens if Southwest loses my baggage?

a. (southwest.com) Southwest allows three (3) checked pieces. Excess baggage will be charged at the rate of $50.00 for the first (1st) through the ninth (9th) extra bag and $110.00 for each piece checked thereafter. Maximum weight is 50 pounds (down from 70 pounds prior to April 1, 2005) and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 70 pounds will be accepted for a charge of $25.00 per item. Items weighing from 71 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (i.e., surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50.00 per item.

b. (WN LUVS U) I think the change from 70 pounds to 50 pounds has a lot to do with employee injuries, as well as the price for fuel. They are, however, still going to allow 3 bags, one more than the industry standard.

c. (channa) If > 50 lb. bags are common, this will definitely slow down the check-in process. Someone with a 45 lb. bag and a 53 lb. bag will be doing some shifting until they get both under 50.

d. (uastarflyer) Let's not lose sight over the fact that WN's policy is still the best in the business for the general traveller, as long as it remains a 3-bag-limit.

e. (RockHounder) If you've never been through the lost baggage process, you'd be surprised to know that you have to wait 5 days before you can even request a claim form. Once they mail that to you, they want to know the item, color, material it is made from, manufacturer, where you bought it, size, is it for a male or female, when you bought it and what you paid. In addition, you have to have the form notarized. After waiting two weeks to get the form, they give you 45 days from the date of the flight to get your claim in the mail but they say "evaluation and resolution of your claim takes a minimum of 30 days." I understand they also depreciate everything, even it is new and unused.

f. (nsx) Buffaloflyer reports that he was denied curbside checkin less than 30 minutes before departure. This risk is another reason to use the inside lines (see item 29a) if you're running short of time.

Last edited by nsx; Feb 20, 2006 at 10:59 pm