FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK Screener arrested for theft
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:06 pm
themicah

According to Bart in post 55 of this thread:

Originally Posted by Bart
The primary reason is for the screener's protection so that the supervisor can act as a witness to verify that a large amount of cash was found and left exactly as it was found. It is not unreasonable for supervisors to record the name, flight information and other data pertaining to the passenger in the event that the passenger subsequently files a claim against TSA. This allows the supervisor to recall with specificity and accuracy about the incident.
This is interesting. I only wish the TSA had a poilcy of actually explain things like this to the people who are searched, instead of treating us all like criminals.

I have a family member who refuses to use ATMs (yes, I know it's absurd and tell him regularly) and always travels with a few thousand in cash on his person. On a recent domestic trip, the TSA noticed his cash stash during a bag check at the checkpoint. They asked him how much was there. He told them he didn't know (he knew the ballpark number, but didn't know the exact amount), but that it wasn't enough to be illegal if transported out of the country--and he wasn't leaving the country anyway.

He was taken into the Magical Mystery Booth where the screener and his supervisor counted out all his money (including going through his wallet), searched his person and possessions, asked for all his personal information, and then filed out a bunch of forms they wouldn't let him see.

This family member is a frequent traveler and is quite savvy about the laws surrounding transporting cash (including reporting requirements for domestic cash transactions), but was still rather upset about his treatment. The TSA folks could have explained it as a necessary procedure to protect the passenger from losing any cash to grabby screener hands as well as protecting the screener from the passenger filing any false claim of theft. But instead they made it into a big "investigation" as if they were excited to have some "action" and (oh boy!) maybe find something illegal.

Anyway, thanks Bart for shedding some light on why TSA feels it's necessary to pry into everybody's business.