FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Montreal Bagels, best in the world
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2006, 9:10 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
If you have a particular place in Brooklyn that would measure up, I would love to try it next time I'm in the NYC area. Please pm me or post a location, thanks.
Bagels by Bell/B&S Bialy in the Canarsie (where else?) section of Brooklyn unquestionably has the best bagels and bialies that I have ever eaten. Of course, I usually eat them while they are still fresh and hot.

Then again, I never knew about the bagels in Montréal — until reading this thread.

I wish I would have know about the bagels in Montréal before I travelled there in the autumn of 2001. I certainly would have tried the bagels from both St. Viateur and Fairmount.

I had heard about and seen pictures of the famous Montréal smoked meat, however, and thought, “This looks just like pastrami. What could be so great and unique about it?”

When I finally tasted a sandwich on rye bread with mustard at Schwartz’s World Famous Smoked Meat on 3895 St. Laurent, I thought it was excellent. It had a different, yet unique and indescribable flavor, and it definitely could hold its own against the best New York corned beef, pastrami or brisket. It was not better or worse than its New York “cousins” — simply different and unique.

If I ever find myself in Montréal again, I must try the bagels from both St. Viateur and Fairmount for myself.

Incidentally, does anyone know how the bialies are in Montréal — assuming they have bialies?