FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From incompetent customer service to top brass who care about their customers
Old May 11, 2006, 9:04 pm
secrets

Unhappy I'm so sorry! Here's how to improve your res. experience...

I am so sorry you had to go through all of this! I just wanted to jump in with a bit of unsolicited advice that might assist you in the future. As a former Delta employee, with over 20 years in the industry (Reservations), I can tell you that there are some definite 'things' you can do when you call reservations. Doing these 'things' will almost always improve the service you receive.

1. Get a name up front, the moment you start talking. For example, as soon as the agent picks up, state 'I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name?'. Write it down. Many Delta employees use alias', but don't let that deter you. Alias' are kept current and complaints OR compliments utilizing an alias still get back to the employee. Also, ask for the location of the res. center. Before your service even starts, you know who they are and where to find them! If you ask up front, in a pleasant manner, they will not feel threatened and their level of service will go up a notch... since they know you are taking this call seriously.

2. Make a change. If you are calling on an existing reservation and decide that the service is less-than-stellar... be sure to make a minor change on your reservation, even if it is insignificant. Any 'changes' made to a reservation will track the agent sign, time, date and location of the agent. Then you don't have to go through the 'let me talk to your boss' argument. Let's say Sally is being disrespectful and she is rushing you through a phone call. She won't give you her last name (even her alias) or city, and you know she's giving incorrect information. Just let Sally know that you'll need to call back later, but would she mind 'adding an additional contact number' to the reservation?

Then call back at your convenience. Ask for Customer Care (a local desk in each call center with reservation agents acting as local Customer Care. This is NOT the official corporate Customer Care! Give the date and time of the service breakdown with Sally, and the information you changed on the record. Then tell the CC agent your story. Get the CC's name and city down, too. Even when the service is merely 'bad', ask for compensation. A $25.00 voucher is NOT unreasonable for having to call back or being given incorrect information. And remember to ask the CCD (Customer Care Desk) agent to ensure that the agent WILL be spoken to regarding the service breakdown. CCD agents don't really have the authority to get something in the agent's file, nor do they always take the time to address something with the agent. But the CAN alert a supervisor, and THAT conversation will certainly hit the employees' file. This is a good thing. Employees with multiple complaints need to go.

3) Be happy. Be nice. If you are already irate, let the agent know UP FRONT that you are extremely angry, but you do not want to take it out on the agent... and perhaps you're sorry if you get cranky... etc. Res agents know (more than most employees) how easily things can break down. They deal with most aspects of the airline... ticketing, gates, reservations, baggage, complaints, airport, mechanical, weather, compensation, etc. They are the most well-rounded employees in the company. So the majority of the time, letting a res agent know up front what's going on will soothe the path for you. An experienced agent will rarely doubt a story because they've seen it all! Give them an opportunity to serve you... and perhaps even compensate you for your troubles.

4) If the call isn't working, don't waste your time. Thank the agent and call back. Trust me here. If you get a new, rude, incompetent agent it is NOT worth the effort to try to get what you want on that particular phone call. Call right back! If the hold time is unreasonable, ask for a CCD agent. Res. agents are *required* to get you a CCD agent without argument. On your first request. They may ask the nature of your issue to get you to the right agent. But if you decline to give a reason but simply want to speak to someone knowledable, you needn't give the agent that info. Just insist that the agent get you a CCD agent right away. If they actually refuse, ask them to record the call. (It may already be getting recorded) If they refuse then, see suggestion nbr 3 above.

5) Make it personal. Personalize the call. Make it 'different'. These agents are bored out of their minds. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the guys who would call in and tell jokes, or talk about where they were at, airport conditions, weather, shopping, etc. And the passengers who asked questions about ME were always nice, too. Everyone wants to talk about themselves! So when people asked me things like 'how much longer is your shift?', or 'how do you like your job'? Those calls were always a treat for me, and although I'd like to think that my service level was all above board, I think I probably smiled a bit more on these calls!

6) Empathize. When an agent is stuck, empathize with them. Express yourself and acknowledge their limitations. THEN make other suggestions, or ask for alternatives. Most agents WANT to look good. They are monitored multiple times each month and they have no idea of telling when that is. When they can make a 'service recovery' and shine for their sup., they're happy!

Best of luck in the future!