FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Aman-style resorts in Australia?
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:44 pm
bearbrick

Originally Posted by number_6
Good point; there isn't, and never will be, an Aman style resort in Australia or NZ -- just like the Aman in US is not "Aman style". Personally I prefer the US version of Aman, sans fawning service. I guess others must too, as the Asian Amans have been slowly changing. They will always have a higher staff/guest ratio than any property elsewhere in the world, including Amans.
HHhhmmm.... when i say Aman style i was thinking more aesthetics/and sensibility and the "non Asian " amans are designed by the same architects as the asian amans...thus far anyway...with a few exceptions...and for me the architecture and interiors takes up a big portion of the Aman Factor ..of course location and other do play a part as well ....as for service ..good and bad service is a universal concept...we know bad service when we experince it and appreciate it when we get good service....irregardless of geographical boundaries... in the Aman context.... the service style reflects the local culture and norms which is important....

i have stayed at le melezin and bagnols [ when aman had it] , amanjena ie non asian amans and found the service to be good [ and sometimes ok ] but there were always staff there when they were needed and service as you mentioned...but this is true also with the..asian amans.....which are very much in the same vein except for the high staff ratio in asia ..[.i think the reason for that is that the asian properties are designed more sprawling and a large part of the staff are in areas like gardens / maintainence and security .etc etc.].....fawning ?. .......well nah....they are just being polite and probably there is a comunications barrier we have to consider too...but i do think there is a cultural angle to this as well...irregarlesss of whether its an aman or not.....and they more than any other hotel operator ensure they adjust and best reflect and adapt to the enviroment [ this includes the physical building ] they operate in ........its good efficiecnt, perceptive and thinking service all round at any Aman...

Last edited by bearbrick; Dec 21, 2006 at 9:08 pm