FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much is a European SIM card, exactly?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:05 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by BogeyMan
  • AA
  • I need a SIM card and based on this thread was thinking of the Orange prepaid - Mobicarte
  • yes, unlocked RAZR
  • Feb 17, arrive Sun. Feb 18

Thanks for your help.
When you arrive at CDG Terminal 2A, you will go through Baggage Claim, Immigration and then Customs. After exiting customs, you might want to change money or use an ATM, both of which are on this floor.

The AA map of the terminal: http://www.aa.com/content/aboutUs/wh...inal_CDG.jhtml is not very useful.

Use instead the Paris Airports Authority Map: http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/R...9-cdg2abcd.pdf

When you are through with your money transactions, you will turn RIGHT toward Terminal C. In case you want to consult a map, you are looking for the Shopping Area (a/k/a the "Zone Publique") which is one floor DOWN. In case you do not speak French and want to ask for directions, say "Pharmacy" or "Post" the way you would in English and anyone will understand you mean "Pharmacie" and "Bureau de Poste." If this proves to be a problem, print out this page and show it to someone: http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/f...cies_CDG2A.htm

Keep walking until you pass McDonald's which will be on your right. You're getting close.

BE VARY WARY OF PICKPOCKETS and other con artists from this point on. I have seen several arrests and had one attempt to scam me.

When you see the escalators, if you have a luggage cart, fear not. There are two small elevators which go downstairs and you can take your cart onboard. (Only two carts can fit at once.)

When you get downstairs, you are now in the Zone Publique. Walk about 150 feet and the first shop on your right will have lots of newspapers and magazines at the entrance. You will see the pharmacy up ahead, the Post Office after it and car rental counters on your left.

Walk into the shop, go straight ahead to the counter and if you do not speak French, speak English slowly and ask for a "Mobicarte SIM Carte" (not "card") or (if the guy doesn't understand), a "Mobicarte Poche").

It is slightly possible, although unlikely, that they may have run out of them, in which case, ask for a SIM carte from SFR, the main competitor to Orange. Unless you are desperate, do not buy a SIM card from Bouygues, which all my French friends and colleagues say has bad service in Paris.

No matter how phone savvy you are, I would ask the guy nicely, if he wouldn't mind activating the card for you. There may be the usual way of doing things but then there is the French way.

Note that this shop is like a mini supermarket. They have a terrific section of books and maps and even novels in English. They sell all sorts of travellers needs including luggage and have a nice food section. I usually buy copies of the WSJ Europe, Le Figaro, the IHT, Paris Capitale and a liter of Vittel to drink in the cab.

I do not want to go on and on about Paris, etc., but PLEASE do not hesitate to ask further questions.

Oh yes, when you get done with all this, exit the store, sit down at the cafe next to it, and have a decent breakfast which they didn't give you on the plane even if you flew C. It's what I always do.