FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I was contacted by Federal LEOS regarding my Foreign Travel.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:41 pm
jonesing

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by civicmon
With security clearances, the signee of that has given authorized investigators and certain LEOs permission to investigate them, their travel movements and actions.

Could always choose a new employer? But i'm sure Yaatri signed something OK'n this and investigations going forward as acceptable for continual employment.
True 'dat. But two things bug me about this: (a) I have to report any foriegn travel prior to the trip. Used to be 45 days back in the times of the "designated countries" list but now it's 30 days even if it's Russia or Gerogia--the exception is border crossing/shopping trips to Canada or Mexico which can be reported the next business day afterwards and (b) they wouldn't meet at his place of business.

Insofar as the travel reporting, since Security knows I'm going on the trip, if they had any problems with it, they would let me know about it. In fact, one guy was indeed reported because he took 3 international personal trips in one year (Bahamas, Jamaica, Cancun--the threshold is 2) Nothing happened but that was policy for the project he was on.

The only time I've ever heard of an investigator, be it DSS or FBI, talking to someone other than a place of business was when someone from the office was getting vetted for her initial TS and they wanted to talk to one of her hometown friends. Because of schedule conflicts, they wound up meeting at an Applebee's or some such place! But when they come to talk to us, it has always been in the office, specifically one of our classified conference rooms. That's because Security will verify the investigator's credentials and clearance before allowing him/her to talk to us.